Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

I want to get a new woods gun, so the G20 is on the radar for sooner rather than later. Fortunately, I spend most of my time in CO, and very little of it in moose country. It can wait.

At all times of the day and all places, I carry a G19 with an APL and a spare G17 mag with Henning +4 (21 rounds in spare mag, 16 in gun). I keep that all in a T Rex Arms Sidecar holster. I often also bring my BCM/Sionics AR with a WPL, Epsilon brake, MI rail, and Vortex PST 1-4 Gen 1. Between the two, I can run some drills to occupy the time at camp, as well as be able to defend against any 2 or 4 legged critters who may get a bit too rowdy.

Last edited:

Shane

Rank I

Contributor III

I don't have a CCW permit (though I think about getting one often) and live in a state that also has some very strict firearm laws. I would love to carry a pistol in case of wild life or wild people as some have mentioned but unfortunately the liability that I associate with use of a firearm in such situations could end up costing more in the long run than the medical bills from less effective tools (ie. hatchet, camping knife etc.) Some of the stories shared in this thread do have me thinking about packing a Rem 870 on my next trip but the reality is that I will just spend more time worrying about someone breaking in my truck and stealing it and the legal ramifications that situation carries than enjoying my trip with my family and friends. I love firearms, was raised on safe and proper handling of them and intend to raise my kids the same way when I have them. But if I loose my legal ability to purchase and own firearms that lifetime of memories will be gone and I just can't risk that. So no firearms will not be joining me on my overlanding trips.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I don't have a CCW permit (though I think about getting one often) and live in a state that also has some very strict firearm laws. I would love to carry a pistol in case of wild life or wild people as some have mentioned but unfortunately the liability that I associate with use of a firearm in such situations could end up costing more in the long run than the medical bills from less effective tools (ie. hatchet, camping knife etc.) Some of the stories shared in this thread do have me thinking about packing a Rem 870 on my next trip but the reality is that I will just spend more time worrying about someone breaking in my truck and stealing it and the legal ramifications that situation carries than enjoying my trip with my family and friends. I love firearms, was raised on safe and proper handling of them and intend to raise my kids the same way when I have them. But if I loose my legal ability to purchase and own firearms that lifetime of memories will be gone and I just can't risk that. So no firearms will not be joining me on my overlanding trips.
A shotgun is one of the most versatile woods guns in existence. I don't hesitate to take mine. Also they often avoid the stupid laws in the less free states.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I pretty much open carry by default in all states that allow. We maintain a Florida residence and have my CCW with that state because it offers the greatest reciprocity.

Wife and I are both typically always armed. I have two daughters. Enough said.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
A shotgun is one of the most versatile woods guns in existence. I don't hesitate to take mine. Also they often avoid the stupid laws in the less free states.
I love my 1300 Home Defender, but I don't take it on hikes, gathering firewood, or using the restroom. It pretty much stays in the Jeep. For that reason, if I can only take one firearm, I'd take a pistol.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I love my 1300 Home Defender, but I don't take it on hikes, gathering firewood, or using the restroom. It pretty much stays in the Jeep. For that reason, if I can only take one firearm, I'd take a pistol.
Yeah I typically have my pistol as well. But as a rule of thumb when in the woods I prefer a long gun. Which one is always the question before I leave home.

Reactions: Kelly

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

Like many of you, I also carry nearly everywhere I go. Where I'm going and what time of year it is will influence my options, but at the very least I'll always have a handgun for defensive purposes. I also like to bring along one or more of the .22s just to plink with if I find myself somewhere that I can do so, just because .22s are fun.

Infidel439

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Virginia
I want to get a new woods gun, so the G20 is on the radar for sooner rather than later. Fortunately, I spend most of my time in CO, and very little of it in moose country. It can wait.

At all times of the day and all places, I carry a G19 with an APL and a spare G17 mag with Henning +4 (21 rounds in spare mag, 16 in gun). I keep that all in a T Rex Arms Sidecar holster. I often also bring my BCM/Sionics AR with a WPL, Epsilon brake, MI rail, and Vortex PST 1-4 Gen 1. Between the two, I can run some drills to occupy the time at camp, as well as be able to defend against any 2 or 4 legged critters who may get a bit too rowdy.

An Old Skool Flack Jacket and Molle Body Armor Vest. Nice, but why? The flack jacket is sh!!t comparatively.

Faolchu

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

New York
Member #

Can't really carry a handgun in New York without a long and expensive process, but I always keep a .22 rifle in the car because you never know when you may be passing a range! When I'm out in the woods I have a Rossi Circuit Judge which accepts both 410 shot shells and .45 LC.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Great thread - thanks for starting and contributing - told me everything I wanted to know. When I'm out in the wild I always carry, how many depends on the size of my conveyance ;)

Taking a friend and the boy out shooting this morning - packed the JKU super heavy for its first "packed shakedown". Heading out Snoqualmie North Fork road (Seattle area), have not seen that listed in the trip reports section so maybe I'll add it. Easy peasy, but dirt and pretty and closest legal outdoor dusty road shooting for me.

My son spotted Tannerite on youtube so we picked some up. Will he be brave enough to shoot the Mini 14 to pop it off? :) Packed the .410 coach gun to start getting him used to a shotgun :)

Happy Independence Day!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That stuff is a lot of fun.
Yes it is! We had a blast - literally! We met a Veteran who saw action, Bill, out at the shooting area - he collects brass, aluminum, lead, etc. at unofficial shooting areas and donates proceeds to Wounded Warriors and the local Children's Hospital - we made a donation for the Vets - even if that meant a beer and a steak for Bill later on in the day. We shot with Bill and everybody enjoyed themselves - and the Tannerite ;) The boy took a liking to my old .22 and now he wants one of his own :)

I completely underestimated the number of folks that would be out on this road on a Holiday - next time we will plan a bit differently. And I think I am starting to understand your "not too fast, not too slow" saying. Lots of folks driving way too fast and lots of folks with no understanding of "dust etiquette".

Updated with pictures. I had a goofy look on my face but it was the best one of my son on the bridge.

IMG_3990.JPG IMG_3989.JPG IMG_3999.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: The Nothing

JLangsdorf

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

I have a NV CCW so almost always have at least a little pocket 380 on me. Ruger LCP II - awesome! Now that I have a truck and will be getting out in the wild more, I think I will go with more open carry. More accessible when jumping in and out of the truck. In the small NV towns you will see a lot of open carry. Beards, shorts, flip flops and a .45 auto on the hip.

Reactions: Ubiety
T

The Raven

I just have a simple Winchester 30-30 lever gun when I do carry something...but;

lol, I'm not sure what you said or are describing but this is what pops in my mind. :)

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I have CCW but i don't generally carry on my day-to-day. It may be in the safety compartment but for the most part stays at home. And I am comfortable with that.

But when overlanding/dispersed camping, I always have it with me and I consider it as just another tool, and just like how i use it at home, it is my home defense away from home. The likelihood of me using it is probably close to nil but it is essentially a confidence builder. Camping with my wife and two small ones, I have to be on top of things and adding a bit of confidence to myself reflects on how much the whole family enjoy our remote camping.

Reactions: Winterpeg

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
Here in Az. open and cc are legal without a permit. As in most places in the world when a situation arises you are on your own.

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

It all depends where I'm going to be and time of year. Typically here in yuma locally I always have a pistol but during hunting seasons I bring along a shotgun. If I'm doing something like El Camino del diablo where there are illegals and drug runners that will take everything you have, I will have either an ar15 or an ak. If I'm going to family's house in bishop and bigpine, I'll take different ones that the communists didn't make illegal...

Reactions: Ubiety