Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I don't own a gun to kill people.

I own a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.

I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't own a gun because I'm paranoid.

I own a gun because there are real threats in the world..

I don't own a gun because I'm evil.

I own a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't own a gun because I hate the government.

I own a gun because I understand the limitations of government..

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.

I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.

I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't own a gun to make me feel like a man.

I own a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.

I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I refuse to be a victim of any predator, 2 legged or 4. Every one has their right to choose their position when it comes to firearms. My choice is known. If my carrying a firearm on the trail makes you uncomfortable, then your next choice is do you join me or travel another course? There are no strangers to me on the trail, just wheeling partners I haven't met yet. I will welcome anyone to share my adventures.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
If I have my pants on most likely I either have a firearm on me or one is within reach. It is just how I live. The Boy Scout moto stuck with me, Be Prepared, and I don't know what life is going to throw at me 5 minutes from now so...

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
This thread has gone for 300 posts without getting political, derogatory, or ideological. Don't start now! Stop, or the thread gets closed.
Steve,

If you're going to take action, consider deleting only the posts you feel violate forum rules. Please don't punish all of us by closing down the entire thread.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kelly

Last edited:

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Well this thread has gone through a rather predictable route - although it took a bit for it to get sideways, it appears as though it is back on track. In that vein, I thought I would contribute a recent purchase - but first the rationale.

I always carry at least a handgun with me at all times (I won't go into all the reasons why but suffice it to say that if you don't want to, that's awesome just have the same respect for me). When I am in my truck I hesitate to belt carry, or even drop (thigh rig) carry my preferred outdoor handgun (G22) because it chews up the seat so badly and is not comfortable. I have seen too many Crown Vics with holes in the seats from pistol butts digging in and that kind of unnecessary wear is not acceptable in my personally owned overland rig. So, what to do? Well, I can also carry a S&W642 on my ankle which is fine but not too smart tactically in the woods/trails and is less gun that I would prefer to have. I really like my G22 and prefer to have it with me. I could also fashion a console holster (there are several available) but would either need to grab and go with the Glock or leave it behind when I unass the truck - kind of defeating the purpose. Shoulder holsters are nice but the nylon ones twist and the leather ones smell - and they are not all that comfortable either.

Recently while doing some other stuff I came across this holster system at a local gun store but they did not have it for the G22. Amazon did! Like all else in the universe, I clicked on one-click and in magically appeared on my doorstep two days later!!

I had concerns about how tight the straps would have to be to secure a large frame handgun - it is amazingly comfortable! There are no buckles in back so no wear against the seat or pinching/pushing in the back. The gun is secure but available. The kydex is well made and this is one well built rig!! I could easily see it for backpackers, kayakers, hikers and overlanders!! I see it an a positive addition to those times where I want to open carry my Glock -- most times when I am out in the woods or just away from civilization for the most part - although it could be concealed under a vest or sweatshirt it would be a slow draw and hard to conceal a large frame handgun. They come in many models for most handguns and I would suggest it for someone wanting to have their handgun with them while overlanding but not want to belt carry and chew holes in their seats.

Stay safe & happy wheeling!!

Reactions: Craig M and Kelly

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Always carry when legal to do so. Downloaded the "legal heat" app and it really makes it quite easy to determine reciprocity, local laws etc. The only thing I am a little nervous about is that on an upcoming trip we will be doing, we will be spending quite a bit of time on federal (National Forest) lands. Guess I should call them directly to make sure I am good. It really is amazing how difficult it is sometimes to make sure you are within the law. But, I would rather make certain I don't put myself or my family in a bad spot over a misunderstanding of the laws.

S54MCoupe

Rank 0

Contributor I

Always carry when legal to do so. Downloaded the "legal heat" app and it really makes it quite easy to determine reciprocity, local laws etc. The only thing I am a little nervous about is that on an upcoming trip we will be doing, we will be spending quite a bit of time on federal (National Forest) lands. Guess I should call them directly to make sure I am good. It really is amazing how difficult it is sometimes to make sure you are within the law. But, I would rather make certain I don't put myself or my family in a bad spot over a misunderstanding of the laws.
Carry on national forest land follows state laws. If you're legal in that state you're legal on NFS land, just not in buildings which should be posted.

Dennis King

Rank 0

Contributor I

Federal Way, Washington
Member #

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you guys ever carry legal weapons out on the trail or while camping.
Some may bring rifles for hunting, some may bring handguns for personal protection, some may not even bring any weapons along on their trips. Many feel it ruins the spirit of the trip.

What are your feelings towards this subject?
I can totally understand if you do carry, why you wouldn't want to advertise. But hey, there's a whole lotta crazy out there, and a lot of it is out in the sticks. So, im curious on what you guys thoughts are.
The Wife and I always carry, Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Reactions: jeepsnstuff

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
I put together a locking 30cal ammo can into the center console of my S10 for the times I have to go into ranger stations (regularly, as I volunteer with the USFS) or the rare Post Office visit. On the front of the center console I also bolted in a holster that I use for long drives.

Once I get the 4runner, I'll be making a drawer/bed system in the back and have plans for one of the drawers to be locking for the long guns.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Well this thread has gone through a rather predictable route - although it took a bit for it to get sideways, it appears as though it is back on track. In that vein, I thought I would contribute a recent purchase - but first the rationale.

I always carry at least a handgun with me at all times (I won't go into all the reasons why but suffice it to say that if you don't want to, that's awesome just have the same respect for me). When I am in my truck I hesitate to belt carry, or even drop (thigh rig) carry my preferred outdoor handgun (G22) because it chews up the seat so badly and is not comfortable. I have seen too many Crown Vics with holes in the seats from pistol butts digging in and that kind of unnecessary wear is not acceptable in my personally owned overland rig. So, what to do? Well, I can also carry a S&W642 on my ankle which is fine but not too smart tactically in the woods/trails and is less gun that I would prefer to have. I really like my G22 and prefer to have it with me. I could also fashion a console holster (there are several available) but would either need to grab and go with the Glock or leave it behind when I unass the truck - kind of defeating the purpose. Shoulder holsters are nice but the nylon ones twist and the leather ones smell - and they are not all that comfortable either.

Recently while doing some other stuff I came across this holster system at a local gun store but they did not have it for the G22. Amazon did! Like all else in the universe, I clicked on one-click and in magically appeared on my doorstep two days later!!

I had concerns about how tight the straps would have to be to secure a large frame handgun - it is amazingly comfortable! There are no buckles in back so no wear against the seat or pinching/pushing in the back. The gun is secure but available. The kydex is well made and this is one well built rig!! I could easily see it for backpackers, kayakers, hikers and overlanders!! I see it an a positive addition to those times where I want to open carry my Glock -- most times when I am out in the woods or just away from civilization for the most part - although it could be concealed under a vest or sweatshirt it would be a slow draw and hard to conceal a large frame handgun. They come in many models for most handguns and I would suggest it for someone wanting to have their handgun with them while overlanding but not want to belt carry and chew holes in their seats.

Stay safe & happy wheeling!!
I have the Kenai chest holster for my .44 and really love it. I really only use it when in bear country, since I don't open carry around here but it is really comfortable, easy to access, and doesn't interfere with sitting, or backpacks!

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I hear folks talk about plinking on the trail. Remember, like off road driving, be respectful and responsible when you shoot. Clean up targets and brass. It helps the cause if you do.
I have found that air guns make this even more fun. No brass to pick up, quieter, very cheap for plinking.

Sent from my SM-N910T using OB Talk mobile app

Yamawammer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pocatello, ID, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gillespie
Member #

I am a Corrections Officer and have become real weary of people because of the job I do. I have been carrying concealed for the past 20 years. I have only had to brandish my firearm once in that time. Thankfully I did not have to use it and it diffused the situation by presenting it. Out on the trail I would never be without a firearm. My trust in people is small. On a lighter note. Just picked up this lil Keltec PF-9 for my wife. She is a realtor and comes into some scary situations at times.

Attachments