Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I used to only carry when in the wild. With the current condition of the world only worsening, I carry any time my wife and son are with me , or if I am planning to be in a large, crowded environment. I am "Permitted" in the state of Wyoming, which covers me in a lot of other states. When I cannot legally carry a firearm, My plan B is BearSpray. The good stuff, it is designed to make a 1000# grizzly bear cry, I Guarantee you, it will make the meanest man beg for his mommy.
Wasp spray works great too. And it shoots 30 feet!

Reactions: Kelly and PNW EXPLR

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Glad to see I'm not the only Ma member wondering about CCW on a trip. Been considering on bringing it along just for protection.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That app I talked about earlier is great, it shows all the laws of you have a MA LTC. I just received my NH non-resident, but it obviously extends me only to NH (and you can't buy firearms with it). If you go out of state then I think some open carry laws are ok, but I follow the CCW laws to the letter. I live relatively close to CT and RI, but typically travel up north. From what I heard getting a RI non resident is really hard.

Reactions: CapeXterra

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

I NEVER camp/trail ride without a weapon. Hate to beat the dead horse, but I am a firm believer in "better to have and not need than to need and not have." Whether it's a 1000lb jackalobe or 150lb "terr-ist," I want to be ready to protect my family.
That being said, I am aware of who I am camping/traveling with and always have proper weapons etiquette when in the campground or on the trail. I normally open carry my 1911 or Super Blackhawk, and a long rifle in condition one ready to rock n roll in my rig.

Last edited:

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

not trying to stir the pot..promise really just curious!! but when people say 'carry for protection'..it's mainly fear of other campers right? I have thought about getting a side arm but the stats for bear attacks is soooo low that it can't be that. I heard it was about 3 people per year in North American (Canada included).
Im 6'2 220 lbs and have done years of gang and drug intervention in South Central, Compton, parts of Texas and New Mexico and other places that makes me feel like my street smarts are on point. This mind set/ skill and my size, has helped me avoid sketchy situations to a point that I can say I never had anything to worry about while camping. Don't get me wrong, I think guns are cool and a right but honestly, I don't know if I could live with the idea of taking some one else's life even if they were in the wrong. Does that make sense?
So i just continue shooting my bb gun and living on the fence of whether I should get one or not and I guess that is ok for now

Carnivore

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Blue Quill, Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
JPD
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Infantry vet. 88-03
not trying to stir the pot..promise really just curious!! but when people say 'carry for protection'..it's mainly fear of other campers right? I have thought about getting a side arm but the stats for bear attacks is soooo low that it can't be that. I heard it was about 3 people per year in North American (Canada included).
Im 6'2 220 lbs and have done years of gang and drug intervention in South Central, Compton, parts of Texas and New Mexico and other places that makes me feel like my street smarts are on point. This mind set/ skill and my size, has helped me avoid sketchy situations to a point that I can say I never had anything to worry about while camping. Don't get me wrong, I think guns are cool and a right but honestly, I don't know if I could live with the idea of taking some one else's life even if they were in the wrong. Does that make sense?
So i just continue shooting my bb gun and living on the fence of whether I should get one or not and I guess that is ok for now
Up here in Canada we're more likely to be woken by four legged furry fellows more than the 2 legged variety of things that go bump in the night. Then again, we don't use campgrounds much. (Unless we're in a national park, then the rifles are locked out of sight to appease the law makers)

Reactions: britz

Jeremy •IIIIIII• Michael

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Long Beach, Ca
Member #

Ravenplague.....
Yes, most definitely for other campers. I'm pretty sure you have come across some bad people and probably seen/heard of what they can do.
My experience is narrowed down to a total of 14 months, but enough to know that being on the wrong side of the barrel will not work for me. Like many here, guns were a part of my youth. I feel very comfortable with them and uncomfortable without them [emoji51]. Guess that makes me a gun nut lol. I believe that in any situation a weapon will "even the playing field." Because not everyone plays by the rules. The days of 1 on 1 with just your fists are long gone.

****I forgot to mention..... shooting/target practice is another hobby of mine! Just sucks that it's another expensive hobby that goes hand in hand with my outdoorsy hobbies. Aside from the food/fuel/water/beer, bullets are probably the single most expensive item to replenish.

Last edited:

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ravenplague.....
Yes, most definitely for other campers. I'm pretty sure you have come across some bad people and probably seen/heard of what they can do.
My experience is narrowed down to a total of 14 months, but enough to know that being on the wrong side of the barrel will not work for me. Like many here, guns were a part of my youth. I feel very comfortable with them and uncomfortable without them [emoji51]. Guess that makes me a gun nut lol. I believe that in any situation a weapon will "even the playing field." Because not everyone plays by the rules. The days of 1 on 1 with just your fists are long gone.

Very well said. I agree!

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
IMHO, those who "fear other campers", might want to consider staying at home :-) I carry a firearm for the same reason I carry tools, belts, hoses, and extra food/fuel/water. Peace of mind.

Knowing that if the situation were to arise, I wouldn't have to say "I wish I had ...". I couldn't live with being able to protect myself, or someone else, and choosing not to.

It's like learning CPR, you know there's very little chance you'll need it, but everyone agrees, it's a good skill to have.

Guns serve many functions. They're fun to shoot. In a pinch, they can feed you, or even signal for help. Carrying a gun is not high on my list of priorities, but stopping people who wish to do harm to others, is.

The only concern I have on this topic is training, or the lack of it. I'm not a fan of restrictions, regulations, or requirements, but some rights come with responsibilities.

If I had my way, more GOOD people would carry a gun, but their level of training would be much higher than the current standard. Because ultimately, if I decide to take action, I won't be as concerned about the bad guy, as I am of getting shot in the back by someone who has not been trained in Situational Awareness, or making "Shoot, Don't Shoot" decisions under stress.

Sorry. End of rant :-)

Last edited:

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

IMHO, those who "fear other campers", might want to consider staying at home :-) I carry a firearm for the same reason I carry tools, belts, hoses, and extra food/fuel/water. Peace of mind.
Knowing that if the situation were to arise, I wouldn't have to say "I wish I had ...". I couldn't live with being able to protect myself, or someone else, and choosing not to.
It's like learning CPR, you know there's very little chance you'll need it, but everyone agrees it's probably a good skill to have.
Guns serve many functions. They're fun to shoot. In a pinch, they can feed you, or even signal for help. Carrying a gun is not high on my list of priorities, but stopping people who wish to do harm to others, is.
The only concern I have on this topic is training, or the lack of it. I'm not a fan of restrictions, regulations, or requirements, but some rights come with responsibilities.
If I had my way, more good people would carry a gun, but their level of training would be much higher than the current standard.
Sorry. End of rant :-)
I really appreciate this post, as I think training and safety are absolutely vital when using firearms. When I recently moved to MA, I had to go through a hunting training course for 16 hours and was dreading it, but in the end, I really learned a lot and like how they emphasized safety and ethical hunting. It absolutely boggles my mind when I go to a gun range and see that they serve alcohol. Way too many people think alcohol and firearms go hand in hand.

You really hit the nail on the head as far as rights coming with responsibilities. We need to always think about safety and have great respect.

Awesome "rant". ;-)

Reactions: Carnivore and Kelly

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I am a little confused by your post. You say "years of gang and drug intervention," which leads me to believe you are/were in law enforcement which would then lead me to believe you don't need convincing to be armed at any/all times. If you were not law enforcement (some other ancillary or support role) then I would suggest you only do what you are comfortable doing. You make the best point ever when you say you are not sure if you are able to take a human life.

The very first question one should ask oneself (and one that I always asked new Deputies when I was an FTO/Academy Instructor) was if they had made the decision - and reconciled that decision with whatever moral compass or religious belief they had - that they could take the life of another to save either their life or the life of another. If the answer was no, then the profession of law enforcement was not for them, the decision to carry a firearm was negative and they should go on to a level of self-defense they were/are comfortable with.

For what it is worth - I respect any decision you make. I am sure it will be based on reflection and your own needs and your thoughtful post makes that clear. Less than a firearm are things like a TASER (they changed their name recently but there are really good civilian carry options based on State/local laws), OC Spray (minimum 10% again based on local laws)....beyond that I would say that is about it. Something to consider is that anything you carry you should realize that it may be taken and used on you - that is why I did not say knives/clubs which can easily be lethal - piss off a bad guy and get beat to death or pepper sprayed?

Sorry for the really long post but you offered a sincere question and I thought it was deserving of a respectful response. I am a retied Deputy Sheriff with over thirty years in law enforcement and currently working as a Contractor with the Feds. Whatever you decide - be confident and capable!!

Happy wheeling and stay safe out there -- where ever out there is!!!!

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I am a little confused by your post. You say "years of gang and drug intervention," which leads me to believe you are/were in law enforcement which would then lead me to believe you don't need convincing to be armed at any/all times. If you were not law enforcement (some other ancillary or support role) then I would suggest you only do what you are comfortable doing. You make the best point ever when you say you are not sure if you are able to take a human life

The very first question one should ask oneself (and one that I always asked new Deputies when I was an FTO/Academy Instructor) was if they had made the decision - and reconciled that decision with whatever moral compass or religious belief they had - that they could take the life of another to save either their life or the life of another. If the answer was no, then the profession of law enforcement was not for them, the decision to carry a firearm was negative and they should go on to a level of self-defense they were/are comfortable with.

For what it is worth - I respect any decision you make. I am sure it will be based on reflection and your own needs and your thoughtful post makes that clear. Less than a firearm are things like a TASER (they changed their name recently but there are really good civilian carry options based on State/local laws), OC Spray (minimum 10% again based on local laws)....beyond that I would say that is about it. Something to consider is that anything you carry you should realize that it may be taken and used on you - that is why I did not say knives/clubs which can easily be lethal - piss off a bad guy and get beat to death or pepper sprayed?

Sorry for the really long post but you offered a sincere question and I thought it was deserving of a respectful response. I am a retied Deputy Sheriff with over thirty years in law enforcement and currently working as a Contractor with the Feds. Whatever you decide - be confident and capable!!

Happy wheeling and stay safe out there -- where ever out there is!!!!
Thank you so much for your reply. It helped me a lot. I'm actually a social worker and currently employed with a school district.

Garth Jones

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I guess it's like the Jeep thing. If I have to explain it to you you will never understand. Think of carrying a weapon like carrying jumper cables you may never ever need them but it helps one person or yourself it's been worth it. Think of a firearm as a tool and not a weapon and maybe it'll help you understand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I open carry every day, but around here that's not unusual. I live in a County that stretches across Idaho to both the WA and MT borders, with +/-16 Sheriff Deputies total (not on duty, total). Response time to my cabin is a minimum of 45 minutes in good weather, so my Sheriff told me to take care of business myself, then give them a call when I have a chance. 90% of my Overlanding the past few years is the 100 mile stretch of wilderness from my place to the MT state line, so I treat the area as my back yard and protect myself accordingly. I've been fortunate enough not to cross paths with a brown bear, but those damned kitties like to hang out at water sources.

Garth Jones

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I take it when you say brown bear you are talking about a Grizzly. It sounds like we live close to each other and the black bears are more of a pain than anything thing else. I live in the spokane valley. It once was the pot growers that worries me the most. Even if it is legal in Washington there are still some growers that don't like visitors. I carry every time I head to the woods. Even if we are after a Christmas tree my Blackhawk is on my hip.

Reactions: britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I take it when you say brown bear you are talking about a Grizzly. It sounds like we live close to each other and the black bears are more of a pain than anything thing else. I live in the spokane valley. It once was the pot growers that worries me the most. Even if it is legal in Washington there are still some growers that don't like visitors. I carry every time I head to the woods. Even if we are after a Christmas tree my Blackhawk is on my hip.

Yep, brown bear = grizz, but never had issues with black bears, probably because a LOT of folks run dogs up here. I'm a little Southeast of you, a hair south of Pierce at the NF border. My boyfriend loves his Blackhawks, but my petite hands have never held them well. I'm usually a 1911 gal, but I sport a .44 Ruger Alaskan for banging around in the woods. Pleased to meet you!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
What I have come to realize is size doesn't matter if you can't hit the target.
That's what I always tell my students! Fit first, caliber later if they have a choice.

I love the .41! My BF has several .41's including a few Blackhawks, but I couldn't find a sidearm frame that fit like a glove and came in that caliber, which is a bummer since we do custom loads. But I do have a Henry repeater chambered in .41 that lives in one of the rigs, but my favorite goto's are all .35Rem.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I hate to be unprepared for any circumstance. Every single person on this board carries something they hope they never have to use. Whether it be tools or a first aid kit, we all try to avoid certain circumstances but prepare for them anyway. I carry a minimum of 1 handgun everywhere I go because there are things out there far worse than breaking down. Me going anywhere without my gun is in my mind equal to driving a car without a spare. I'll never criticize anyone for their choice, I just ask the same in return.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

I'm curious. Aside from the self-defense reasons, one poster mentioned how his 2 favorite hobbies converge in the outdoors; overlanding and shooting. I'm more inclined to bring fire arms for the chance at some outdoor target practice. Aside from private land and national parks, and assuming I'm out in the booley-toolies, is it okay to do some plinking?

I once set up a little obstacle course / firing range on a friend's 15 acres of private land. We'd been shooting for an hour or so when a helicopter appeared overhead followed shortly by a cruiser at the front gate. My friend is a lawyer and he denied access to the property without reasonable cause. We weren't breaking any laws, but ever since then I'm nervous to shoot a gun anywhere but a licensed range. I'd like to think with overlanding it's possible to get far enough away to not draw any unwanted attention. Should I just stick to the range?