Legal Weapons and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Garth Jones

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

That's what I always tell my students! Fit first, caliber later if they have a choice.

I love the .41! My BF has several .41's including a few Blackhawks, but I couldn't find a sidearm frame that fit like a glove and came in that caliber, which is a bummer since we do custom loads. But I do have a Henry repeater chambered in .41 that lives in one of the rigs, but my favorite goto's are all .35Rem.
If you ever think about getting rid of that .41 lever gun let me know. I been looking for one for quite some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TerryD

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I always carry with me (so long as its legal to do so). I at least have my 2 pistols with extra ammo, and as soon as i can figure out a safe mount for my rifle, i will be bringing that with me too.

here around texas its legal to have rifles in the open, but handguns have to be concealed in the vehicle. When i head out to oklahoma or arkansas, i feel its easier to open carry. Its more comfortable and provides easier access if the need is there
Texas now has Open Carry for you handguns..... FYI

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Someday I hope to see y'all take your state back from the fruits and nuts. Black Guns Matter
Respectfully, I think this language is unnecessarily inflammatory. OB is best when it provides a place for both the "fruits and nuts" AND the "gun nuts" to get together and talk rigs, trails, camping, even guns, in a civil and apolitical manner. It'd be sad to see it get exclusionary or overtly partisan. Of course, it's also possible I'm just one of those snowflakes I keep reading about on other websites...
(I originally replied to this yesterday, but I think the "maintenance" involved a roll back that deleted my message. Still, I think it's important enough to repost a paraphrased version)

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I guess it's cause of how I was raised, but a .22 pistol should always go with you when you go back country. It makes a great little snake killer, ammo is light (even if it is no longer cheap :( ), and squirrel/grouse/bunny/etc keeps your belly from thinking your throat has been cut.

I keep a Benjamin 392 .22 cal air rifle with me as well. Again, really cheap ammo, plinking is fun and I like to not starve.

Of course that means bigger toys should be represented in appropriate situations. :)

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Respectfully, I think this language is unnecessarily inflammatory. OB is best when it provides a place for both the "fruits and nuts" AND the "gun nuts" to get together and talk rigs, trails, camping, even guns, in a civil and apolitical manner. It'd be sad to see it get exclusionary or overtly partisan. Of course, it's also possible I'm just one of those snowflakes I keep reading about on other websites...
Thanks for your post. I appreciate following this thread to get an informed perspective on combining overlanding with firearms in a responsible manner. I enjoy hearing everybody's perspective, and if there is an overlander out there who would feel threatened or offended to see me start plinking on the trail I don't want them to be discouraged from saying so in this forum.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I think this language is unnecessarily inflammatory. OB is best when it provides a place for both the "fruits and nuts" AND the "gun nuts"
I certainly never thought, nor was it intended to offend or inflame anyone. But I guess this is the times we live in, so as to better understand the situation so I don't inflame anyone again, was it the "Fruits and Nuts" portion or the "Black Rifles Matter" that was so inflammatory? I think it might have been the Fruits and Nuts part because that is what you quoted. So was the Gun Nut thing your attempt at inflaming me?
Wait, wait, wait, before you get the wrong idea, my questions are rhetorical sarcasm. I just don't want you to get choked up and think you have hurt my feelings or inflamed me. I am not at all inflamed nor am I offended or even threatened as GoinCommando put it. I stated my opinion, I stand by my statements.

But I do end up having a serious question; GoingCommando, do you really think my post would keep someone from saying they were offended by your plinking on the trail? Let me help you with an answer, if they are willing to tell me that the use of the phrase Fruits and Nuts inflames them, then you have nothing to worry about. They will darn sure tell you your Plinking Inflamed them.

Please tell me your coming from an informed position here. The frustration I feel for the good folks in California is from an over-regulation of firearms. Example; the handle on an AR-15 is offensive so you have to make it look like a bolt action rifle stock, you have to have something called a bullet button (or something like that) to release the magazine. Rules like this should be what inflames, offends, and threatens you not the term Fruits and Nuts.

Wow, this is way too many words trying to explain myself, but if after reading this you are still inflamed by my words then let's break out the participation trophies, I will try to write with neutral (non-inflammatory) vernacular, and we can sing kumbaya.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Sniper, ignoring your condescending help, I can answer that, yes, I think somebody who reads a post like yours, and especially if other like posts were to follow, they may decide the only participants in the forum are the pro-NRA crowd and it's not worth sharing their opinion if it means being grouped in with all the fruits and nuts.

All BillyBadly was saying is that your post was one of a political nature and it was derisive toward those of an opposing political view point. That's not consistent with the intent of the OB forums. It's like our second principle, "it doesn't matter what you drive." If somebody wants to lift their Prius and go overlanding, they are welcome to join us without being stereotyped as one of the fruits and nuts from CA. And if it makes them uncomfortable for me to pull out my AK with a 30-round clip that I purchased in KY, well then I'll just leave it at home. I don't want a hot-button political issue to get in the way of us enjoying an overland expedition, even if I have to tow her Prius across the creek.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Commando, you write like I don't understand what's being said, on the contrary I understand and don't agree. I knew there would be people like this here and I will engage to a point. The condescension started with Billy I was just responding in kind. Then here you come again trying to educate me. You're chewing on the wrong biscuit here. I do not write post to inflame people nor do I go out of my way protect sensitive little ears like Billy. There was nothing inflammatory about my statement to start with. Had Billy read it said to himself that he didn't agree and moved on then all these words could have been saved for something else. But you both thought it wise to school me.
Your analogy about an AK on the trail with other people has absolutely zero bearing on this conversation.
Please save your words and go have a fun life.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I was all ready to bang out an angry and cutting reply, but then my 9 month old baby girl woke up and I had to feed her a bottle. She does this thing, when she's almost full, where she tries to shove the bottle in my mouth- it cracks her up every time! Now, I feel so much better! Y'all have a nice Memorial Day Weekend!

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Aren't Kid's the most precious things? Savor every minute. My second just graduated high school and is going to UK in pre-med next fall. For graduation I gave her a 2-week trip to anywhere in the world she chooses to go. I told her "to preserve the spirit of wonder, you must take time to wander." In the words of Tolkien, "Not all who wander are lost."
That's why I am OVERLAND BOUND.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Aren't Kid's the most precious things? Savor every minute. My second just graduated high school and is going to UK in pre-med next fall. For graduation I gave her a 2-week trip to anywhere in the world she chooses to go. I told her "to preserve the spirit of wonder, you must take time to wander." In the words of Tolkien, "Not all who wander are lost."
That's why I am OVERLAND BOUND.

Imagine overlanding in a world not "protected" by the United States for the past 70 years...

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

BillyBadly; just made it to my shooting range this morning and there is a whole gaggle of young people here 15 to 20, ages 6 to 14. Some of our nations finest are coaching them today on the .22 range. They are all wide eyed with big grins. Makes my heart feel full.
Have a great weekend and stay safe. Hopping to get lost in the hills for a few days after shooting this morning, myself. Cheers

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Indeed, the US has the diplomatic and military might to protect the world from despots, thugs, ethnic cleansing, religious intolerance and political violence. I am proud to be a citizen of a nation that defends liberty and champions the disenfranchised. I am honored by the men and women in military service that risk their lives to secure freedom for others. We should all be rich enough, safe enough and free enough to overland around the world.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Sniper, yea, I mostly got into firearms as a way to bond with my son. From his video games he knows every weapon, caliber and configuration out there. He LOVES shooting the real thing. In a contentious custody battle I had to defend my right as a parent to take him shooting when he was 16. It was worth it.