Land Rover Discover 2...buy or don’t buy that is the question?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Iam glad ive lived when i have lived we are living at the begining of the new age order , The internal combustion engine has a bleak future , Trucks of the simplisty of the seriers LR 's and defenders , early discos were parts are interchangeable are numberd emissions and the great globel warming lie propergated by the globilists will see the travel modes of future. Civilisation made more controllable hence taxable ENJOY YOUR. OLD UNREALIBLE GAS GUZZERLING
DINOSARS WHILE WE CAN
I agree, Life has become too complicated, costly , and controlled ! The cost being the loss of Family values . The complications being mostly political and cultural (what is the meaning of IS ?) The controlled being the shoe must fit all or you are considered odd and awful. (that's me) I too am glad I have lived in my time period but if I had my rothers I would have loved to have lived in my grandmothers generation 1889 to 1980. I dread that my grand children will have to live the lives they will have to endure with in the unknown future. It pleasures me to see a lot of young people starting to buck the system and go off grid etc.. They are the new pioneers and I wish them well !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
OK OverlandBound Community here’s the question... I’ve always wanted a Land Rover Discovery 2 and I’m looking for an additional vehicle so I don’t drive my Jeep so much and put all the daily driving miles on my Jeep. So the sensible person in me says buy a Mazda or Toyota small hatchback with good gas mileage and blah blah blah... but the overlander in me says buy the one rig you always wanted even though historically it’s a maintenance fiasco. Yes I know about the 3-amigos on the dash and the all aluminum engine that needs head gaskets and the drive shafts that let go destroying everything in its path, and I know that 2002 and 2004 where there best years, etc...etc... but used ones are fairly cheap and I’ve always wanted one, but at the same time I’m thinking this could be a horrible idea...? Thoughts?!
Matt, here is a video that may help you make your decision.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
My GX is the same way. Toyota went to a “sealed” transmission around 2005. That doesn’t mean you can’t change the fluid. There has to be a drain and fill plug on the transmission. Hard part is figuring out how. For me, it’s easiest to let Toyota do it for about $350 because it’s a royal PIA to do DIY. You can always drop the pan if you really want to change it yourself.
There is no "pan" on my trans. the filter is internal. You have to remove the trans and split it to replace the filter.

LANDLUBBER, I know about the alternator on the escape. I am driving a 2007 now. That being said, I can still change the fluids in that no issue. That's one of the main things needed to be done to keep vehicles running. There is NO SUCH THING as lifetime fluids.

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks Dirty Ape, How much would you want for them ? Always nice to have good info before I tear into something unfamiliar. Did you use to have some Land rovers ? What do you have to say about the discussion that is trashing the LRD2 on this thread. It surprises me that everyone seems to want to blame the vehicle for the so called problems with LRD vehicles. I see it as normal wear and tear especially if they are being thrashed severely and under maintained.
Let me find it to be sure and I'll hit you back. The D2 has issues, no doubt - the good thing is they are all well documented and there are no surprises. I've owned a lot of Rovers, busted a lot of knuckles & completely understand people hating. Fight through the blood, sweat and broken u-joints and you'll have a great time with one....

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

There is no "pan" on my trans. the filter is internal. You have to remove the trans and split it to replace the filter.
I didn’t watch the whole video, but it looks pretty straight forward.

Edit: the fluid swap that is, not the filter replacement.

Last edited:

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Great Rig Mark. I'd like to know more about what you did about the 3 amigo's. I think I may have a problem because a bunch of lights are lit up on my dash panel. The previous owner said not to worry, but I do. Everything seems to work okay but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
So the three amigos is explaining on most of the Landrover forums. There are several ways to fix it. I took the ABS module out of the Discovery and took it apart. There are two shuttle valves and they can stick. The rebuild kit was about $80. Then there are two electrical connection that are made when the module is bolted back together. Soldering wires to the ends and making a permanent connect fixes that problem (free). When the lights are on the traction control does not work. I will look for the posting and link it here.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

This is the posting I used for the repair. It has easy to follow instructions. I understand British Atlantic has the kit for $60.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I am posting this link for the three amigos fix again here so it is easier to find.

GroundedLP

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Gwisdalla
Member #

OK OverlandBound Community here’s the question... I’ve always wanted a Land Rover Discovery 2 and I’m looking for an additional vehicle so I don’t drive my Jeep so much and put all the daily driving miles on my Jeep. So the sensible person in me says buy a Mazda or Toyota small hatchback with good gas mileage and blah blah blah... but the overlander in me says buy the one rig you always wanted even though historically it’s a maintenance fiasco. Yes I know about the 3-amigos on the dash and the all aluminum engine that needs head gaskets and the drive shafts that let go destroying everything in its path, and I know that 2002 and 2004 where there best years, etc...etc... but used ones are fairly cheap and I’ve always wanted one, but at the same time I’m thinking this could be a horrible idea...? Thoughts?!
If you’ve always wanted one get it! If it’s got a motor it’s going to break, so the way I see it get something you want that way working on it is enjoyable.

RevelOffroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Foster City, Ca
Member #

Thanks for all the advice, comments, and video files sent. After some thought most of you are right, I’ve always wanted it, there not crazy expensive, I know what I’m getting “into” and it will make me happy to own something I’ve always wanted. Life is about the little experiences along the way, so here we go. Gonna start looking a little harder to find “the one”. Thanks!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for all the advice, comments, and video files sent. After some thought most of you are right, I’ve always wanted it, there not crazy expensive, I know what I’m getting “into” and it will make me happy to own something I’ve always wanted. Life is about the little experiences along the way, so here we go. Gonna start looking a little harder to find “the one”. Thanks!
If you don't mind a little driving out route 66 there is a nice one in Albuquerque for $1000. It only needs a $60.00 water pump and it will drive I am told. Here is the info on it. It is located at Five JJJJJ's auto parts. 5404 Broadway SE just off I-25. The phone number is 1-505-877-6270 or 1-800-456-0065. It is cold Black with good paint, the upholstery looked good but I didn't inspect it thoroughly. It has the 4.0, I don't know the year but it looked just like my 2000 model. I think it is worth the trip to get it personally. No body damage but the bumpers had the plastic cracked that you will get rid of anyway. I think the guy would send you pictures if you wanted them. Good Luck.

Reactions: Arailt

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The owners name is Ron McCulloch

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

This is a contact you will find very valuable. Abran and his wife are super nice people. They know everything about Rovers and sell a lot of used parts.

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Just bought a Disco 2 last week for $900. 2002 in very good shape. Needs a bit of work to get it up to par, but it drives great. I had 2006 Range Rover Sport and loved it, but who wants to take a $50k rig off-road?.... I've always loved the Disco's and I couldn't pass this deal up. My son and I are going to make a project out of this one. Can't wait to get started. Will post some pictures shortly and probably start a new thread under builds.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Good for you, man!

Honestly, the Disco is hands down one of the most awesome looking 4wd's ever built. If they were built better and didn't have such major issues, I would buy one in a second. I think you'll enjoy yours when you find it (and you'll curse it bitterly when something fails on you, but you'll fix it and go back to loving it.) :)

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I've grew up around Toyota, I practically had over 30+ Toyota throughout my 20's... I've raced in Toyota's and was a die hard Toyota guy.

In my 30's now and I always asked myself that "oh man, how would it feel to own a Triumph, or a Mercedes G, or a Land Rover Defender etc..."

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the motorcycle or the cars that I've always wanted within my budget - there's no other feeling in the world to know how it feels owning the car/motorcycle that you've always admired...

Sure - you hear crazy stories that its this and that, but if you are a decent human being that looks out for your belonging, they'll last.

"My Toyota was the most defendable vehicle ever!!!" well, I'm sure it was if you took care of it etc...

Go buy it - it'll spark some new feelings inside you and you'll thank yourself that you did it.

How would you learn if you haven't tried...