Land Cruiser 100...need advice on build

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 and I have been researching how to build it properly for long road trips throughout Western US, Canada, and Baja Mex. From your experience with your own RIGS...any advice regarding important upgrades (tires, suspension, roof racks, lights, body armor) that you have used and regard them as "vital" on trips?

My truck is currently stock throughout.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback!

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

It all depends on your budget. You can run 285/75/16's with stock suspension. I'd just throw some good tires and a pair of sliders and you can handle most stuff. That's what I did (minus the sliders, I'm still working on getting those). Then I started getting my camping gear (RTT, awning, drawers, storage boxes, etc). I will eventually put on armor, a small lift, and a winch, but that is not a priority. I wanted to be out camping with my kids first and foremost.

Picture is with 255/85/16's.

Reactions: 3ilnouri

Contributor I

It all depends on your budget. You can run 285/75/16's with stock suspension. I'd just throw some good tires and a pair of sliders and you can handle most stuff. That's what I did (minus the sliders, I'm still working on getting those). Then I started getting my camping gear (RTT, awning, drawers, storage boxes, etc). I will eventually put on armor, a small lift, and a winch, but that is not a priority. I wanted to be out camping with my kids first and foremost.

Picture is with 255/85/16's.
Thanks for the advice! I am looking at a set of Toyo 285/75/16....I'd like to avoid suspension for some time because I know it can be pricy. Budget wise, each month or 2 I'd like to tackle one major purchase (take a breather) and hit the road. Which tires do you use? Have you done research on sliders?

I've been looking at these, but I have not heard of the company (granted - there are tons of companies who build sliders).
http://metaltech4x4.com/opor-100-series-land-cruiser-sliders-1/

Which roof rack do you have?

Dingo_boy_explore

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Schererville, IN
First Name
Dingo
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I would get a good set of tires and go from there. If you've never been in a situation where you need sliders, I'd skip them. I have just tires on my 100. Works perfect. I'd do a lift but I'd rather get all my gear I feel I need sorted as well as armor and stuff so I tune the suspension correctly to the weight. Right now when I do switch, I want something that's more stiff in corners but as nice on straight road. Not sure if I could get that combination but we'll see.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

Contributor I

I would get a good set of tires and go from there. If you've never been in a situation where you need sliders, I'd skip them. I have just tires on my 100. Works perfect. I'd do a lift but I'd rather get the gear I feel I need sorted as well as armor and stuff so I tune the suspension correctly to the weight. Right now when I do switch. I want something that's more stuff in corners but as nice on straight rode. Not sure if I could get that combination but we'll see.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using OB Talk mobile app
good to know! thanks

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

The only thing I would recommend to is with your rig and age it to keep in mind that anything that you are going to fir or take with you is going affect on road performance, a very close friend has a 2007 lx470 filed BFG same factory size I think it was 265/75R17 same affected performance.

And by the end its your rig do what you think will help make you happy and your kids safe, my first mod for any of my cars has always been Suspension

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I've got an 04 LX470 with the ahc. I adjusted my height sensors and trimmed the front bumper and bent the pinch seam in behind the front tire and was able to squeeze tall skinny 35s in there. I'm running nitto trail grapplers and like them a lot. This was the only mod I did and then went wheeling and camping with the rig and took a note pad with me to write down things I thought I needed. Sliders was first on the list and a roof rack to house some more gear and although this wasn't a need it would make the trips easier, I wanted a rear cargo area made so I could pull drawers out to get to things rather then having to pull out a bunch of containers.

I mention the notepad because this was really good for me. Before the trip and taking the notes I thought I needed a front bumper sliders winch and a rear bumper first. At least with my current setup those aren't as important so I can hold off on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OverLand Austy

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 and I have been researching how to build it properly for long road trips throughout Western US, Canada, and Baja Mex. From your experience with your own RIGS...any advice regarding important upgrades (tires, suspension, roof racks, lights, body armor) that you have used and regard them as "vital" on trips?

My truck is currently stock throughout.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback!
The front diff in the 98 are prone to breaking
Extra fuel cans are a must as well ,if you plan getting of the trail and deep .My 100 series was a thirsty piggy . We put over 100k and had no problems minus the front diff lol. The Arb bumper is a solid choice, along with there a side protection and sliders. Emu lift is another great choice just try figure out what the vehicle end weight will be for spring selection at the end of your build .

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

C6H12O6

Rank I

Contributor III

Tires are a great first. I loved the Cooper AT3s I had on my 80-series. 285/75-16 is a great tire size.

I'll have my 100 at the Meet-n-Greet tomorrow. If you are in the PNW, you should come.

I just got a set of the OPOR sliders. Does your truck have the AHC suspension? Rear locker? More info on your stock truck might help guide the suggestions.

Last edited:

Contributor I

I've got an 04 LX470 with the ahc. I adjusted my height sensors and trimmed the front bumper and bent the pinch seam in behind the front tire and was able to squeeze tall skinny 35s in there. I'm running nitto trail grapplers and like them a lot. This was the only mod I did and then went wheeling and camping with the rig and took a note pad with me to write down things I thought I needed. Sliders was first on the list and a roof rack to house some more gear and although this wasn't a need it would make the trips easier, I wanted a rear cargo area made so I could pull drawers out to get to things rather then having to pull out a bunch of containers.

I mention the notepad because this was really good for me. Before the trip and taking the notes I thought I needed a front bumper sliders winch and a rear bumper first. At least with my current setup those aren't as important so I can hold off on them.

Did you have a shop do all of that modifying or did you do it on your own? what was your "out the door" price total if you dont mind me asking...?

Contributor I

The front diff in the 98 are prone to breaking
Extra fuel cans are a must as well ,if you plan getting of the trail and deep .My 100 series was a thirsty piggy . We put over 100k and had no problems minus the front diff lol. The Arb bumper is a solid choice, along with there a side protection and sliders. Emu lift is another great choice just try figure out what the vehicle end weight will be for spring selection at the end of your build .

looks clean! Ya fuel cans is going to be a helpful addition to any expedition I take. Did you keep the stock suspension or upgrade? Thanks

Contributor I

Tires are a great first. I loved the Cooper AT3s I had on my 80-series. 285/75-16 is a great tire size.

I'll have my 100 at the Meet-n-Greet tomorrow. If you are in the PNW, you should come.

I just got a set of the OPOR sliders. Does your truck have the AHC suspension? Rear locker? More info on your stock truck might help guide the suggestions.

Where is PNW (not to sound like a noob)? I'll have to double check the specifics of my truck. But sounds like tires are usually anyone's first upgrade.

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Did you have a shop do all of that modifying or did you do it on your own? what was your "out the door" price total if you dont mind me asking...?
I did everything myself. Honestly the cost of tires is about all I've got plus wheel spacers since I'm running stock tires. I also flushed the ahc fluid to make sure the system stays working properly. The tires cost me about $1500 and I also paid the $200 to firestone for the lifetime alignments. I figured this would be good to make sure after trips I'm still aligned as well as if I add things like upper control arms or rear control arms I can just take it in and get it aligned. I want to say the wheel spacers are around $200.

So to add all this up around $2k

I've added my storage drawers in the back but that's about it. I also have a fridge that I bought used off Craigslist for $400 a few years ago.

Contributor I

I did everything myself. Honestly the cost of tires is about all I've got plus wheel spacers since I'm running stock tires. I also flushed the ahc fluid to make sure the system stays working properly. The tires cost me about $1500 and I also paid the $200 to firestone for the lifetime alignments. I figured this would be good to make sure after trips I'm still aligned as well as if I add things like upper control arms or rear control arms I can just take it in and get it aligned. I want to say the wheel spacers are around $200.

So to add all this up around $2k

I've added my storage drawers in the back but that's about it. I also have a fridge that I bought used off Craigslist for $400 a few years ago.

Having the lifetime alignment sounds like a great investment. I am trying to figure out wether or not I need to keep stock rims/suspension and A/T tires or upgrade to a lift kit and larger tires.

If I am mainly using my truck for CA ski trips, Baja Trips, U.S. desert trips....do you think I need to spend the money on extensive upgrades or keep it stock and focus on great 275/75/16 or 265/70/16 tires by toyo, general, falken...

Granted - this attitude may change after my first year of trip taking.

thoughts?

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

285s are an easy fit. MetalTech is a very reputable company and make excellent products with very good customer service. Most mods are very easy to do on your own with basic tools.

Look at my signature build link for a very built 100 including MetalTech sliders.