Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey guys! I'm just recently taking the plunge into the overland scene and I was looking at caswanson's flint hills route and want to run that over spring break with our two 4runners. just wondering if you guys cleared up weather the whole route listed was public or not.
On another note I'm really exited to meet more fellow Kansans who are into something that interests me as well!
As far as I know, it's public. I ran a questionable section for @caswanson between Cottonwood Falls and Teter Rock without any issues with the route. Depending on when you want to run it, I might be able to go.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

If Emporia counts....
So far you're the closest! You're actually in the extrem top left corner of the southeastern zone for Kansas. Basically, you're where the northeastern, southeastern and south central zones meet. Nice spot to be located - right in the middle of the main area of the State.

I'm trying to find people in the lower half of the south central area as well as the lower southwestern corner of the southeastern zone. I'd like to get some sort of local club started, so far nothing. You know, something along the lines of a group that gets out and does things, yet can easily get together for coffee or a beer. There are a couple OB members in my area but I haven't been able to establish contact with them.

However....you are definitely close enough for meeting up somewhere! Are you a member of the "Konza Overland" group that travels the Flint Hills area?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
So far you're the closest! You're actually in the extrem top left corner of the southeastern zone for Kansas. Basically, you're where the northeastern, southeastern and south central zones meet. Nice spot to be located - right in the middle of the main area of the State.

I'm trying to find people in the lower half of the south central area as well as the lower southwestern corner of the southeastern zone. I'd like to get some sort of local club started, so far nothing. You know, something along the lines of a group that gets out and does things, yet can easily get together for coffee or a beer. There are a couple OB members in my area but I haven't been able to establish contact with them.

However....you are definitely close enough for meeting up somewhere! Are you a member of the "Konza Overland" group that travels the Flint Hills area?
Yessir, I'm part of the Konza Overland group.

Reactions: Correus

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Also what do you mean by questionable?
The original section hit a gated road. Chris remapped it and asked me to check it out since I live closer and know the area. It's confusing if you pay too much attention to the farmer paths off the main road. It's questionable from that perspective and the fact that neither of us knew if it was completely open. It is completely open and driveable.

Reactions: Bobert_60

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
I maintain the ownership mapping in Chase County for the Appraiser. I double checked with him to make sure the route was open to public traffic. -We're good! It would be pretty awesome to meet up sometime and get a good group to run the trail. Once we get to the south end, there are a ton of awesome areas to explore and great camping amenities.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

What pro
BikeHauler was able to get out and confirm the part of the trail I was unsure of. So here it is.

The northernmost point starts at a KDOT station just of I70 (safe area to leave a vehicle). Then wanders down to Strong City/Cottonwood Falls (check out the Ad Astra restaurant if you swing through). Be sure to get gas in Cottonwood falls. The only other gas station is in Cedar Vale. The trail ends at a free camping area on the SE side of Cedar Vale.
What program are you using? I've tried to download and it doesn't open. I have two programs that open .kmz files, but it won't open. Can you take a screenshot and post it?