Kansas Members??

• HTML tutorial

HaveGunWillCrusade

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey guys! I've been looking through your all's thread and was wondering if you all had a recommendation for a pass through spot to setup camp for a night. We are doing a trip from Nashville to Colorado and are looking for a spot somewhat off of Highway 70. I checked out the route above but it seemed the only place to setup camp was to the southern portion of the route. Any recommendations would be awesome! Thanks!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey guys! I've been looking through your all's thread and was wondering if you all had a recommendation for a pass through spot to setup camp for a night. We are doing a trip from Nashville to Colorado and are looking for a spot somewhat off of Highway 70. I checked out the route above but it seemed the only place to setup camp was to the southern portion of the route. Any recommendations would be awesome! Thanks!
Depends on how your day looks, but Clinton Lake in Lawrence is a good spot. Never been to Milford Lake in Manhattan but it's not far from Lawrence. Kanopolis for sure in Salina. Next would be Wilson Lake and then Cedar Bluff. Hope this helps!

Reactions: HaveGunWillCrusade

mbcurtiss

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Curtiss
Member #

Hey all! We're heading to the Colorado Rockies twice this year. Clear Creek County in late June and Grand County in late July! Anyone have a go to spot to camping in Autumn in Kansas?

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey all! We're heading to the Colorado Rockies twice this year. Clear Creek County in late June and Grand County in late July! Anyone have a go to spot to camping in Autumn in Kansas?
You're starting from Lenexa, right? If it were me, I'd push to get as close to the border as I can. Not sure how accurate this site is, but check it out. Gives you a few options for paid and free camping. Some require a little extra travel off of I70(assuming that's the route you'll take), but would be worth it over sleeping at a rest stop, which I've done in the back of my rig a few times.

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

I’m confused. Your Colorado trips are this summer, and you’re looking for Kansas camping spots to split up the drive to Colorado? Or the Colorado trips and autumn Kansas camping are separate? Sorry, I’m not too bright. [emoji848]

I’ve done Lawrence to Denver in one day a couple of times—once with three-year-old twins. I’d say push it at least to Colby, KS. Logan County State Park is about 40 min. south. Then it’s a four-and-a-half hour drive to Clear Creek County from there.

For autumn Kansas camping, I love Lovewell State Park. It’s a bit of a hike from our neck of the woods. But you’ll be away from civilization, and you can find tons of spots on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

mbcurtiss

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Curtiss
Member #

The Colorado trips are separate from the KS camping inquiry. Sorry for the confusion. Both CO trips will be a straight thru drive. I’ll have to look into Lovewell SP. thanks so much.

Reactions: jasonjlamb

mbcurtiss

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Curtiss
Member #

The Colorado trips are separate from the KS camping inquiry. Sorry for the confusion. Both CO trips will be a straight thru drive. I’ll have to look into Lovewell SP. thanks so much.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I’m based in Wichita and have gotten familiar with some of the central and southern Flint hills trails... Beautiful area if anyone is interested for a weekend day trip. Would love to know of any places to fish along the way.

Dave
I'm just south of you in Belle Plaine.

Not sure what to tell you about fishing in that area. There is a bait shop in Eureka that could give you some ideas. You might want to check with Lizard Lips (gas/bait/food) out by Toronto lake as well.

Are you wanting to go river, lake or below the damn type fishing?

Dave R - Minnesota

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Side Lake, Minnesota, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Rodefeld
Member #

When it comes to fishing in the flint hills, I would take what I can get. I usually fly fish in Colorado, but when I’m just out on the trails near home, I am happy to fish small ponds or streams. I’ve seen quite a few ponds around Texaco Hill and other areas east of Cassidy, but I assume that they are private. Not sure of the land ownership all throughout the Flint Hills, so I stay on the roads/trails. Thanks for the info!

Cheers

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

When it comes to fishing in the flint hills, I would take what I can get. I usually fly fish in Colorado, but when I’m just out on the trails near home, I am happy to fish small ponds or streams. I’ve seen quite a few ponds around Texaco Hill and other areas east of Cassidy, but I assume that they are private. Not sure of the land ownership all throughout the Flint Hills, so I stay on the roads/trails. Thanks for the info!

Cheers
HEY!!! Another fly fisher!!! Usually when I run across people talking about fishing here in Kansas it's always about spin casting. My father has a cottage business making fishing lures and jigs for spin casting.

I try to tell people you can easily fly fish for bass, pan fish and even carp.

You are correct, a lot of the ponds you see out there are private. I've been told that several owners will allow fishing, but figuring out who owns the property can be a real PITA.

You might like the following.

https://bestthingsks.com/fly-fishing/

http://amp.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/article1093910.html

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/article2274850.html

jasonjlamb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lawrence, KS
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lamb
Member #

I'm a beginner fly fisher. So far I've tried local Lawrence and Topeka lakes but have yet to catch anything on a fly. I lived across the street from Yager's in Lawrence until they closed. [emoji26]

Any fly/bait shop, Walmart or Cabelas/BPS has the official Kansas Department of Wildlife Parks and Tourism fishing atlas. That will tell you where you allowed.

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
Hey guys! I'm just recently taking the plunge into the overland scene and I was looking at caswanson's flint hills route and want to run that over spring break with our two 4runners. just wondering if you guys cleared up weather the whole route listed was public or not.
On another note I'm really exited to meet more fellow Kansans who are into something that interests me as well!

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
I thought that was odd myself! Oh well, I usually end up traveling West towards the Rockies anyway, or East to the Ozarks. I'm always up for a meetup; I live in Lenexa.
Dude! I live just next to you in Olathe! id be interested in meeting up with you and some others on here.