Launch Member

Contributor I

Kansas City, KS
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Zolotor
Member #

Dennis & Dolores from KC, KS here. We're brand new to Overlanding and have a stock '99 Land Cruiser, so the trails mentioned here sound like a great place for us to start. Please let us know when a trip is planned for this Spring.

Reactions: caswanson

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
I've got it mapped. From Alma, to Cedar Vale (camping included) 99% dirt roads. I'm going to ride it out once first to make sure none of my routes are actually privately owned (fenced off) routes. Then I will post it up for all to enjoy. Lots and lots of water crossings and some areas I'm not even sure there is actually still a road (we will see).
Please share when you can! I'd love to know for information if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Somewhat baffled that Kansas is part of the Rocky Mountain region! Anyone in Kansas have any trips planned out, ideas for trips, or want to meet up?
I thought that was odd myself! Oh well, I usually end up traveling West towards the Rockies anyway, or East to the Ozarks. I'm always up for a meetup; I live in Lenexa.

SantaFeTrail

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kansas City, KS
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Zolotor
Member #

I thought that was odd myself! Oh well, I usually end up traveling West towards the Rockies anyway, or East to the Ozarks. I'm always up for a meetup; I live in Lenexa.
I think we are close to each other. I'm in KCK on the border with Shawnee by Lake Quivira.

Reactions: KSTrekker

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
Ok. I had time this weekend to drive HALF the trail. And I apologize, but it was the BACK half of the trail. I started at the end and worked my way back. It took me three hours to drive from Cedar Vale to Teter Rock. I've attached the .kmz file for anyone who wants to explore thus far. I did run into a snag going further north (and I needed fuel). I ran into a "gate" issue trying to go north from Teter Rock. I will post the rest once I have resolved the path and ensured a "public access" route. Enjoy. . .

KIMG0428.jpg KIMG0427.jpg KIMG0426.jpg KIMG0425.jpg
Some notes:
1) If you follow the trail all the way to Cedar Vale I have ended the trail at a great free camp site near the Caney River.
2) You will only find fuel in Cedar Vale along the trail. ***Cassoday DOES NOT have fuel****
3) There is a great historic restaurant/hotel in Beaumont (WIFI available).
4) Any amount of rain may make several portions of this trail impassable. Do not attempt to cross flooded areas.

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Ok. I had time this weekend to drive HALF the trail. And I apologize, but it was the BACK half of the trail. I started at the end and worked my way back. It took me three hours to drive from Cedar Vale to Teter Rock. I've attached the .kmz file for anyone who wants to explore thus far. I did run into a snag going further north (and I needed fuel). I ran into a "gate" issue trying to go north from Teter Rock. I will post the rest once I have resolved the path and ensured a "public access" route. Enjoy. . .

View attachment 51431 View attachment 51432 View attachment 51433 View attachment 51434
Some notes:
1) If you follow the trail all the way to Cedar Vale I have ended the trail at a great free camp site near the Caney River.
2) You will only find fuel in Cedar Vale along the trail. ***Cassoday DOES NOT have fuel****
3) There is a great historic restaurant/hotel in Beaumont (WIFI available).
4) Any amount of rain may make several portions of this trail impassable. Do not attempt to cross flooded areas.
Where was this gate?? Curious if we could route around it at all. I'm pretty familiar with the area. Although I didn't know the station in Cassoday had closed. That's disappointing since they had homemade goodies there :(

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
Yeah. . .I was also disappointed as I had gone 3 hours without fuel in my CJ5. I coasted into Cottonwood Falls on fumes. The gate was across road "F" which was my intended path. And since my cell network was spotty out there to say the least, I couldn't locate an alternate route.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Yeah. . .I was also disappointed as I had gone 3 hours without fuel in my CJ5. I coasted into Cottonwood Falls on fumes. The gate was across road "F" which was my intended path. And since my cell network was spotty out there to say the least, I couldn't locate an alternate route.
Road F....sounds like you made it to Lyon County then. I can't say I've ever encountered a gate on road F though. Interesting.

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
I happen to manage the GIS data for Chase County, so I know there are road right of ways through (meaning it is a public road). But the south end of road F is in Butler County. Their county GIS site says road F has about 100ft of right of way going north, then stops and become private. So I'm stumped.

Reactions: R I C K

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Could be gated as well though. I don't remember. Someone will have to go check it out.
I'm close enough to where I could go check. Google Earth made it seem like it was just a cattle guard, but the quality of the image was not ideal to be certain.