Kansas Members??

• HTML tutorial

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

This thread is great. I grew up in the Ark City/Winfield area and have spent a lot of time on the back roads around the Dexter area. I leav this Friday to meet a group to run the Kickapoo Trail. This would be a lot closer for me. Thanks for posting and to everyone and their insight. Hopefully soon we can get a group together and run this route.

caswanson

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flint Hills
BikeHauler was able to get out and confirm the part of the trail I was unsure of. So here it is.

The northernmost point starts at a KDOT station just of I70 (safe area to leave a vehicle). Then wanders down to Strong City/Cottonwood Falls (check out the Ad Astra restaurant if you swing through). Be sure to get gas in Cottonwood falls. The only other gas station is in Cedar Vale. The trail ends at a free camping area on the SE side of Cedar Vale.

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
BikeHauler was able to get out and confirm the part of the trail I was unsure of. So here it is.

The northernmost point starts at a KDOT station just of I70 (safe area to leave a vehicle). Then wanders down to Strong City/Cottonwood Falls (check out the Ad Astra restaurant if you swing through). Be sure to get gas in Cottonwood falls. The only other gas station is in Cedar Vale. The trail ends at a free camping area on the SE side of Cedar Vale.
Eureka is the next best opportunity for gas that is not far off course.

Reactions: KSTrekker

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Sweet! Would love to see that ride!
So would I!! LOL

I've been working on it longer than I've been driving it. I'm doing the rebuild myself and I'm not a mechanic. Before starting this the most mechanical thing I could do was an oil change. It was/is impotent to me that I know how to fix this thing. I've had a few actual mechanics help with "how tos" and encouragement though. Biggest fear is "will it run" once it's back together. It's been several years know of bloody knuckles and learning. If all goes well this WILL BE the summer!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

So would I!! LOL

I've been working on it longer than I've been driving it. I'm doing the rebuild myself and I'm not a mechanic. Before starting this the most mechanical thing I could do was an oil change. It was/is impotent to me that I know how to fix this thing. I've had a few actual mechanics help with "how tos" and encouragement though. Biggest fear is "will it run" once it's back together. It's been several years know of bloody knuckles and learning. If all goes well this WILL BE the summer!
That’s going to be a great rig. In the long run, your time will be a great investment, both in understanding how it operates & being able to do some field repairs & save on repairs as they come up over time.

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Thanks guys...I sure hope Grover will be up and running before the summer's over. The plan is to put him through his sea trials this August. Planning on driving him to a family reunion, a short round trip of about 270 miles.
Allow me to shamelessly plug another group besides Overland Bound that you might find of interest. A few of us in the KC area are endeavoring to resurrect the Flatland Rover Society. Open to all models of Land Rover owners in the Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa area. I won't link to the group here, as that would be rude, but just search for Flatland Rover Society on Facebook and you will find the group.

Reactions: StevenMiller

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Allow me to shamelessly plug another group besides Overland Bound that you might find of interest. A few of us in the KC area are endeavoring to resurrect the Flatland Rover Society. Open to all models of Land Rover owners in the Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa area. I won't link to the group here, as that would be rude, but just search for Flatland Rover Society on Facebook and you will find the group.
This is just freakin' weird...a Rover acquaintance and I were just talking - yesterday - about overlanding groups in our area and the FRS came up.

Will there be a website or other means of getting info and notices? I absolutely HATE FB and do not use it at all.

Reactions: KSTrekker