Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Here is a cleaned up GPX with the Northern parts of the WABDR added back, data is from Touratech. Bypasses are colored black and each day's track alternates between blue and red (for me in Gaia anyways).
I still need to go through this entire thread and add items suggested.
Got it, looks like the section 3 bypass heads northeast from the Beehive reservoir into Wenatchee, then back west onto the original path.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Got it, looks like the section 3 bypass heads northeast from the Beehive reservoir into Wenatchee, then back west onto the original path.
We had considered veering off into Wenatchee to visit friends instead of the NWOR. We shall see what really happens ;)

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Happy Buddha

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

University Place, WA, USA
First Name
BJ
Last Name
Herman
Member #

While I am still planning on attending I am also a teacher and have had to adjust like everyone else. If it works like I am thinking I would also like to continue to Canada. I also am ready to get my HAM license but that too was put on hold. Thanks for keeping this going.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Bump!

WDFW to open some recreational fishing and hunting starting Tuesday, May 5

achiprez

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Alberto
Last Name
Chipres
Right now my Jeep GC is on jack stands for some maintenance and a busted track bar. I’m new to overlanding and want to be prepared. Still missing some crucial items for a longer trip. If I end up making it, I’m planning to do section 1 as a warm up. I’m familiar with packwood from my autoX days.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I hope everybody is doing well! This thread has been a bit lonely and I am wondering if we still have enough interest to continue planning for June 15 (original date). We are up for it!

Have a chainsaw now! And a few other pandemic purchases ;)

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I am still in on this. As a matter of fact I told my wife we are going even if we go alone.
As it is getting closer I think we need to start hammering out the details, like what time and where we will meet up, what comms we plan to use on the trip, etc.

The traditional start of the WABDR is at the Bridge of the Gods by Stevenson Wa. We could meet either on the Oregon side or the Washington side. There is a mural on the Oregon side we could use as a photo op.
I know the boarder at Canada is closed, but it would still be fun to get there and take a picture at that end too.
I currently only have a CB and some FRS radios. I do have a HAM, but I can only listen, not transmit as all HAM testing has been shut down for the last few months and I am stuck. I can get a GMRS because that license requires no testing, just pay for it. So, if we are going to use GMRS, let me know and I will get that done.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I just did some checking and from everything I can see, the Forests are open, all roads are open. Some developed camp grounds will likely still be closed, but we will be dispersed camping so that is not an issue.
Thankfully our Governor wants the revenue stream from fishing and hunting and has opened things up. (we must stay home, but others can come here to hunt and fish). What ever the politics involved, this is good for us, things are open.

I also just spent a whole lot of money on recovery gear and a winch. Now I just need to get the winch on the truck before the trip. I doubt it will be needed, but we may need to drag a tree off the trail. 13K should get the job done.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Right on @oldmopars! I'll meet you on either side of the Bridge of the Gods - have not been across it since I was a kid and it scared me.
Comms - I am ham but have a FRS/GMRS walkie talkie and a CB. May get a cheap mobile GMRS setup as it seems to be common.
Let me get through next weekend and then I can get more involved with planning. Ditching kids with grandparents and taking wife camping!

Thanks for looking at what is open or not! I'm not doing a good job of following along.

Reactions: Monty_moose_gen2

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

I'm still planing on attending. I'm bringing a 12" electric chainsaw so with at least a couple on the trip we should be covered. Congrats on the new gear oldmopars! I don't have any coms. I think Greg was working on a spreadsheet to show what folks had and how we'd communicate on the trail.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Told my fellow worker bees this morning that I would be taking the week of June 15 off. So I have that going for me ;)

Reactions: mtn

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
@Greg Eigsti does it look like we're converging on GMRS for comms? If yes, I need to go get licensed.

I'm so looking forward to getting out there...

Reactions: Ubiety

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

What is the updated plan regarding number of days and where folks are going to end up? Are some of you doing the whole route?

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

What is the updated plan regarding number of days and where folks are going to end up? Are some of you doing the whole route?
As far as I know the plan is the whole week, and the whole BDR from Bridge of the Gods to Nighthawk. However anyone can feel free to exit at anytime as long as you let us know before you go so we don't go looking for you. In the same way, if you want to meet us part way and go to the end, that should be fine also.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Got room for one more? The Rally Point page says 15 vehicles, but the sign-up list is capped at 10.

I'm leading the Old-School Vehicle run up the WABDR in September (right after the NWOR - oh wait; the NWOR's been cancelled now), and it would be nice to pre-run it with an experienced group before I lead a group.

I've got my HAM license (KI7TSP) and GMRS license (WRAK591). I'd be taking the TJ on this one, and saving the Willys for September.

I've got the whole 3rd week of June off from work (actually d/t this COVID thing... I've got the whole month of June off), so I would able to do the whole route from start-to-finish.

camping.2.jpg

Last edited:

SCS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
S
Member #

Is anyone else bringing a dog? I have a medium size very friendly and submissive dog I'd like to bring. She loves other dogs and is very cautious around new people so she won't be a bother to anyone. We may have to stop to let her out from time to time though so if that's going to be a pain let me know.

Also, are we going to set up a plan for GMRS? Hope so as I now have a radio and license. No HAM still.

For those of you doing the whole trail, what day do you plan to arrive at the end?