Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

I figured I am going to start this as my build thread so I can keep track of everything I do.

Finally after waiting what seemed like forever...I got my first picture from the dealership telling me my Jeep is in back in 2015!!!!!

This Jeep had to be specifically ordered due to the fact that the dealership couldn't meet my requirements for what I wanted...I ended up calling their bluff and called Chrysler directly and had a custom order done. Overall was pretty excited and if I upgrade to the new 2018 JKUR, I will do another order straight from the Ohio plant

If there is one thing I have learned from owning previous jeeps, it is to take your time on parts. Do a ton of research before you pull the trigger and never go cheap (unless you know you are going to replace it multiple times).

Here is what the specs:

2015 JKUR
6 Speed
4:1 Gear Ratio
Cloth Seats
Only a hard top (I have had wranglers before and living the in the Arctic Tundra...where it is winter 9/12 months a year, and the other 3 being construction, I hardly ever used it. Really enjoying the ride quality

It only took 3 weeks to build and get to the dealership.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Got some things done with the jeep. Starting out small and doing things right the first time.

Got some OEM rubber floor mats installed in the jeep. Living in a state that involves heavy snow and loads of ice on the streets, it is only natural that it makes it in my vehicles ruining the floor mats...rubber is a must.

I installed a shorty antenna which works great.

Also the brown Santa dropped off some boxes today...got my new Dynomax Compotion Exhaust.

Anyways for some pictures:

Here is new antenna

Before:

After:

Sound quality is the same. I really enjoy not seeing that flip around in the corner of my eye.

The other gifts that were left at my front door step.

Now some of you may be asking why I just didn't order the hitch at the dealership. When you order the "Towing Package" you jeep comes with 3.73 gears. If you order a 4:1 like I did, it doesn't come with a towing package and I just couldn't justify spending almost $300.00 for a little receiver. I picked this one up on Rugged Ridge receiver off of Amazon for $56.00.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Next started with the exhaust:

FYI, no matter how new your jeep is...getting the old exhaust off is a pain...I used some bearing grease on the hangers and a pry bar which seemed to help a lot. I got it all put together and the sound is really good. Here is the parts and the finished product.

The old exhaust probably ways 60lbs

Put the new receiver on

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Looks like the brown santa dropped of my Evo leveling kit.

So easy to install and the quality is great. Highly recommend this kit to the people who want to start their build slow.

This kit itself:

Jeep prior to lift

Shock, sway bar link and coil spring all disconnected.

Stock front coil compared to Evo leveling kit coil spring

The tools that I highly recommend when doing this install. For those of you who are attempting this as your "first big project"...all I can say is when working with suspension...get a good pair of gloves. Your hands will find everything that is sharp or that pinches.

I will get a picture of the finished product when it gets light out. Finished the project up at 2am that night.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Well the day finally came...

It was during amazon prime day that I received an email from NR.

I called them asking if they had any deals on the EVO 1/4 pounder and stinger...sure enough they did. They offered a deal so good, even my soon to be wife agreed to let me buy it...which made me do a double take since there is a wedding in our future.

Five days later and thousands of packing peanuts later, I was installing that 75lbs beast.

I am not going to lie, I was nervous making the cut because my jeep only has 15,000 miles on it, but I guess we will see what happens when I go into the dealership next time.

Here are some pictures I took during the project.

Off with the stock bumper and plastic grill

Test fit!!

All bolted up

It looks great and I am so impressed with the quality of work! I would recommend this bumper to anyone thinking of making the purchase.

In another project, also found 10x7 foot trailer on craigslist. Decided to fix her up in preparation for my new job and the move.

Luckily my new company is moving us but I figured I would move my tool boxes and riding lawn mower since they won't touch anything that has gas or batteries in them. I just figured I would move both of my tool boxes since I have about 5,000 plus invested in both towers.

Stopped at the parents place in Madison, WI to borrow the Skil Saw. Dad is seeing how strong the project is.

In the front I made a solid wall of 1x6" planks just because of previous trailers with the jeep. Since I do not have mud flaps, anything that is on the trailer gets ripped apart from the rocks that stay in my jeeps tires. Hopefully this new wall fixes that problem.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Any of you that own a jeep realize how horrible the stock lights are. Truck Lite's were then ordered and installed. Love these lights. Only down fall is in the winter time, the snow does not melt if you do not have the non-heated ones.

From there I installed the RR hood latches to get rid of the horrible hood flap that happened when you went past a semi.

Then the beast came...the Gobi roof rack. After almost pulling the trigger many times one finally showed up on craigslist for sale in MN. The owner wanted $1000.00 and it had only been installed on his wife's jeep for two months. She made him sell it because it looked to manly...his loss, my gain. I cannot say enough about this product.

Moriarty

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stagecoach, NV, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brackett
Member #

Nice JKUR! Looking good. EVO bumper looks good.

How do you like the exhaust compared to stock? Performance and sound?

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Nice JKUR! Looking good. EVO bumper looks good.

How do you like the exhaust compared to stock? Performance and sound?
It is quite a bit louder. I think it has a nice rumble and with a stick shift it sounds even better. I would highly recommend the exhaust.

There are a couple youtube video's of it. The sound will not be as clear but you will get the idea of it.

Reactions: Moriarty

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Just got my Bartact seat covers in. Only the front covers arrived. The rears will be in within 3 weeks. I will post pictures when I get home!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Nice looking JKU! I'm thinking I might swap out my exhaust soon as well. My stock tail pipe is quite dinged up at this point, would be nice to get it all tucked up and out of the way

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Nice looking JKU! I'm thinking I might swap out my exhaust soon as well. My stock tail pipe is quite dinged up at this point, would be nice to get it all tucked up and out of the way
I def recommend it. It looks much more sleek in my mind. I would go for one that tucks up under the belly instead of sticking out the back.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Ancross15