Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

I though I'd share the progress I've made on m 2015 Jeep Patriot build.

I want five things out of the build. First, I'm trying to do it on a budget; second, I want to be able to safely explore backcountry locations; third, I want to be able to adventure with little preparation; fourth, I want to sleep in the rig; and, finally I want to keep the rig as stock as possible.

Here are some photos

First I had to put on the member badge.

Next I began working on a folding sleeping platform that I could keep in the jeep behind the backseats.

I can drop the passenger-side backseat and unfold the platform. The front passenger-side seat also has to be moved forward.

I still have access to the spare tire storage area.

Added a plastic storage unit, my -20°C sleeping bag, and some old patio furniture cushions I found in the garage.

At this point the rig can head out for a few days and the only thing I really need to remember to take is water. The next steps will be to make the set up more comfortable and more 'off-road' reliable. I'll keep updating when new items are added.

Edit: I added a pic of my Jeep... how could someone not add that?

Last edited:

jhill15

Rank 0

Contributor II

Nice! I used to have a 2010 jeep patriot. Sadly mine fell victim to the horrible cvt. I ended up trading it in before it completely went out. I put a lot of love in it and loved driving it. Luckily they got rid of the cvt in 2012. Looking forward to your build! Here was my patriot.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

PROJECTaroid

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

Finally decided to update the build.

I added a diy fly-screen to the back passenger windows and I changed out the cushions with a thicker and less-floral cushion.

After using this setup for a almost a year I have to say that it worked fine for what I wanted to do. It was great for a short weekend trip or a spur of the moment adventure, but I've been wanting to do longer trips and this setup isn't going to work.

Over the next few months I'm going to redesign my setup to accommodate a 50 quart cooler (because I'd like to bring meat and cold beer with me) and a bit more gear to make it comfortable around camp. I spent too much time splitting logs with a knife.

I'll update on the progress.

Craig Ebbers

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Member #

I added a diy fly-screen to the back passenger windows and I changed out the cushions with a thicker and less-floral cushion.

After using this setup for a almost a year I have to say that it worked fine for what I wanted to do. It was great for a short weekend trip or a spur of the moment adventure, but I've been wanting to do longer trips and this setup isn't going to work.

Over the next few months I'm going to redesign my setup to accommodate a 50 quart cooler (because I'd like to bring meat and cold beer with me) and a bit more gear to make it comfortable around camp. I spent too much time splitting logs with a knife.

I'm curious if you are planning g to upgrade the suspension? I have an 09 patriot, and with the whole family and all the gear I'm pretty sure I'm too heavy. I'm thinking of the rocky road upgrade.

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

Lol I have used a knife and a hammer to split wood before so I feel for you. It isn't cheap but you should look into an RMJ Tactical shriek! Buy once cry once because you won't break it and you'll never need to replace it and it has 1000 uses camping!

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app

PROJECTaroid

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

I'm curious if you are planning g to upgrade the suspension? I have an 09 patriot, and with the whole family and all the gear I'm pretty sure I'm too heavy. I'm thinking of the rocky road upgrade.
I don't have any plans for a suspension upgrade. I hear good things about the Rocky Road upgrades.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Rocky road isn't a suspension upgrade, it is only a spacer lift. From what I remember, stu coils are the only HD upgrade you'll find.

Reactions: PROJECTaroid