Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hello everyone! Welcome to the community.

These forums are filled with some of the most experienced overland adventure travelers I've had the pleasure to know! The community supports one and other. We are focused on building a supportive, family friendly adventure community, and this forum is a chance for our more experienced members to support those just getting started.

The Overland Bound forums are a wealth of information, so search around a bit and see what sections and topics already exist. If you have a specific question about adventure travel and you would like some perspective, post your question here.

Keep in mind that there are often different perspectives and that views expressed will be those of the contributor, and not necessarily the best answer, or the answer that is best for you! Add it to your knowledge and venture forth!

For contributors: Please refer those just getting started to subject matter experts when there are questions about topics requiring professional advice. For example, I'd refer questions about medical to @El Solis who is a board certified General and Trauma Surgeon and his First Aid FAQ section. Questions about fire safety I'd refer to @Kent R , Retired Fire Chief Gold Ridge Fire District. There are many SMEs in our community glad to offer their expertise. Where safety is a concern, please substantiate claims.

Some question ideas:
  • Should I do a shakedown trip before going too far?
  • What are the wires going from the rack to the bumper on a lot of overland builds I see?
  • Do I need a lift?
  • How much water should I bring?
  • How do I do XYZ in the Overland Bound OB1 app?
  • Would you recommend a Roof top tent?
Please enjoy our community. I look forward to meeting you on the trail!

Michael

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you @Michael for introducing the Beginner Q&A.

This is a really great idea! Super! Every one of us started overlanding once. One has been traveling all his life, others maybe since a few years and the next since yesterday or will do it tomorrow. Even we who have been traveling for a long time might have wished to have a possibility to ask experienced overlanders or even had this possibility to do so.

I was lucky to have grown up with automotive travel, camping and outdoor activities. So it was easier and I could learn a lot. Then later I learned from other experienced travelers and I am still learning, again and again. Great that there is this supportive forum, full of really good information. And thanks to ALL who contribute.

I'm always very happy when I can pass on my experience to beginners and that's a pleasure for me! I am curious what questions will come here in the next time in the new Beginner QA and I hope to be able to help one or the other! In this sense, enjoy life, go out and discover the world for you - whether on a day trip, a week trip, vacation trip or the big trip! And please do this well prepared, if you have questions, you know where to ask them, namely here.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hmmmm, I wonder if this will really help or if it will just be full of new members asking other new members for ideas? In other words will experienced members be checking this thread often? Surely, and I'm calling you Shirley, a question will get more views on that general topic thread? I dunno, just asking.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How does one obtain a HAM license? Ive searched the internet and many different options pop up. Wasn’t sure which is the best route to take (no pun)?
Send me a DM... I have all the study guides for Tech-Extra class along with the most up to date testing locations for both online and in person testing

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hmmmm, I wonder if this will really help or if it will just be full of new members asking other new members for ideas? In other words will experienced members be checking this thread often? Surely, and I'm calling you Shirley, a question will get more views on that general topic thread? I dunno, just asking.
Time will tell. The goal is to provide information quickly for new folks. Through the app, the new user journey looks a bit different than web. It looks like this:

1623084313969.png 1623084386031.png

Hopefully, with a few taps, someone just getting started can find access to the community. We'll see!

M

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Thanks Michael, I don't have any apps, Just got a smart phone last year during the CZU fire. I'm just on a few forums online.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Great idea. I will be watching to see how this progresses. For now, I see it working well. However, as more folks ask questions, and the pages get more numerous, we may need to sub-cat into different sections so an already answered question isn't buried and ends up being asked several times.

Reactions: DaleRF and Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great idea. I will be watching to see how this progresses. For now, I see it working well. However, as more folks ask questions, and the pages get more numerous, we may need to sub-cat into different sections so an already answered question isn't buried and ends up being asked several times.
If someone does have an answer they should just do what Northwest Director Mike Rose did and send a PM or you can send the member asking the question a link to the appropriate part of the forum. Resource sharing is the key and making sure new members get the info they need.

Think of this page as a gateway to the forum, there will be no need for sub categories because the forum itself is has all the sub categories.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
If someone does have an answer they should just do what Northwest Director Mike Rose did and send a PM or you can send the member asking the question a link to the appropriate part of the forum. Resource sharing is the key and making sure new members get the info they need.

Think of this page as a gateway to the forum, there will be no need for sub categories because the forum itself is has all the sub categories.
Ahh, that makes sense. I was thinking along the lines of an FAQ. But, I like the gateway idea better.

Reactions: El-Dracho

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I suspect new overlanders will often have similar questions when just starting out. This means we may get the same questions repeatedly as new members join. Something I've seen frequently on other forums, but not as much on OB, is the use of ”sticky” posts for common topics. Perhaps as ”favourite” topics present themselves the forum moderators could accumulate them in stickies for easy reference by new members.

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I suspect new overlanders will often have similar questions when just starting out. This means we may get the same questions repeatedly as new members join. Something I've seen frequently on other forums, but not as much on OB, is the use of ”sticky” posts for common topics. Perhaps as ”favourite” topics present themselves the forum moderators could accumulate them in stickies for easy reference by new members.
Could be, I will think about that. We are currently working to eliminate the stickies that have been around to long. Its a never ending process to keep the forum fresh.

Reactions: Shahn and El-Dracho

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

But if those stickies are of frequent asked questions and if they are properly addressed, should they be gotten rid of, or should newer people be trying to search more?

By the way, the app look good there

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

I like that gateway idea! I could imagine that it is not easy for many new members at the beginning to find everything they are looking for right here. So they can ask a question here in the new and (especially in the OB App) easy to find section and experienced members simply direct them to the right place or contact person, etc.

Reactions: M Rose and roots66

Schnee91

Rank VI

Influencer II

Austintown, Ohio, United States
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Schneeman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPA723
Service Branch
Police Officer
How does one obtain a HAM license? Ive searched the internet and many different options pop up. Wasn’t sure which is the best route to take (no pun)?
Send me a DM... I have all the study guides for Tech-Extra class along with the most up to date testing locations for both online and in person testing
Are the study guides digital? If so where can I find them? I’m interested in my HAM license as well.

Abjamejd

Rank II

Contributor III

Antioch, CA
First Name
Autrey
Last Name
James
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TAL
The way I did it was pretty straight forward. I found a book I was comfortable with "The Fast Track series" and read through that. Once I finished that, I used HamStudy.org (free) for online study and practice test. In order to take the FCC test for the element 2 (first level exam) I searched on ARRL.org and found an online testing service. The cost was $15.00. I have recently taken the element 3 test . I did that in person again using Arrl.org to find a location near me. I think in person is a better way to go. so you know FCC is changing the price from free to $35.00 for the license, the $15.00 was for the registration and testing. I hope this helps.

Contributor III

Troutdale, OR, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Lauer
Member #

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
hamstudy.org will let you view study material and take practice exams. You can also find online testing when you are ready to take the test.

Enthusiast II

Okeechobee, FL, USA
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

hamstudy.org will let you view study material and take practice exams. You can also find online testing when you are ready to take the test.

Thank you

Reactions: Rich B