DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
How does one obtain a HAM license? Ive searched the internet and many different options pop up. Wasn’t sure which is the best route to take (no pun)?
Here are some great resources for studying and information towards getting your HAM License:

Best of Luck!

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
How does one obtain a HAM license? Ive searched the internet and many different options pop up. Wasn’t sure which is the best route to take (no pun)?
Assuming you are looking to get your Technicians license, I'd look online for free practice tests. You can (or at least could when I studied for my test) find websites that have the pool of questions and will give you practice tests you can take until you are familiar with the knowledge. If I remember correctly it took me less than a week of taking and retaking tests until I was consistently passing the tests.

After you are familiar with the material look online for where to take the tests. They might be getting back to in person tests, but you can also take them online. After you take and pass the test in a few days hopefully your license will be on the FCC website and you can start transmitting.

P.S. Ham is not an acronym so it's not capitalized.

Enthusiast II

Okeechobee, FL, USA
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Assuming you are looking to get your Technicians license, I'd look online for free practice tests. You can (or at least could when I studied for my test) find websites that have the pool of questions and will give you practice tests you can take until you are familiar with the knowledge. If I remember correctly it took me less than a week of taking and retaking tests until I was consistently passing the tests.

After you are familiar with the material look online for where to take the tests. They might be getting back to in person tests, but you can also take them online. After you take and pass the test in a few days hopefully your license will be on the FCC website and you can start transmitting.

P.S. Ham is not an acronym so it's not capitalized.

Thank you. I just noticed I capitalized it. Autocorrect maybe. I ordered a book and have been reading. Appreciate all the advice.

Shayhan27

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Pervere
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I purchased a study guide on amazon, but there are also tutorials on you tube. From there you can Google "Ham Radio test in my area". Where im at it looks like the AARL hosts several per year, in your area it may be a different group.

Good luck happy hunting, I how this helps.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I purchased a study guide on amazon, but there are also tutorials on you tube. From there you can Google "Ham Radio test in my area". Where im at it looks like the AARL hosts several per year, in your area it may be a different group.

Good luck happy hunting, I how this helps.
I have found the ARRL website to be lacking with information on testing times and locations… My club tests whenever we have a person ready to test. Our sister club tests every Wednesday and Saturday. While the ARRL doesn’t list either as holding a test in over 4 years… and yes both clubs are ARRL sanctioned.

Traveler I

Daytona Beach, Florida
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Dan
Hey everyone! I am in the market for a rooftop tent. There are some fantastic gently used ones for sale in my area. There are two I am mainly interested in. Looking for advice on which one to pick up. It will be going on a half-rack in the bed of my gladiator (trying to keep CG as low as possible and the tent only an inch or two above my roofline for them aerodynamicz). The two candidates are a CVT Mt. Shasta with the annex ($900), or an Eezi-Awn Jazz for $700. Both appear to be in excellent condition (will do further analysis when I do my pre-purchase inspection). Which one do y'all think is the better deal? Thanks!

TangoRomeo7688

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wadern, Deutschland
First Name
Tobias
Last Name
Ripperger
Hi there,

as I am building my cargo drawer at the moment I wonder what to do next on my rig.

We are planning to go on our first overland trip in 2022. So there is a bit of time.

The following things are on our bucket list:

- Warn EVO VR 12s winch behind OEM bumper
- Gobi Stealth Roof Racks with some additional lights
- Front bar with light
- Tarp instead of awning
- OZ-tent RV1 ( no RTT )

I wonder what to do first? Winch or Rack?

What are your experiences? How often do you really ! need a winch out while overlanding? And I don't mean hard offroad trails like Romania... we are planning to travel to Scotland, Norway, Italy over Westalps etc... Do I need a winch on such trips at all?
I don't wanna carry it around just because it looks cool. The car should be functional and as light as possible. Maybe 4 Maxtraxx or something like that would be the better way?

Greets

Tobias

Reactions: DaleRF

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

As a total beginner, one thing I think would make a nice Q&A or more of a guide even, would be the OL equivalent of a Couch to 5k plan (Mike, need a video idea??? :) ). Basically everything you'd need to go from zero to your first OL trip. There are threads and things I've seen poking around that cover all the pieces, but it'd be nice to have it all in one place. For me, I've got a longer term goal (say sometime next year) of a full on trip somewhere in the north rim area, or up into Utah or the like. On a shorter term (maybe this fall or early spring) I'm hoping to do something much closer to home. Where I'm finding that challenging is in two areas. Finding some areas closer to home, and understand baselines of what would be needed. So as a long winded example...

I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I have a fairly capable off road vehicle, but it's completely stock. I've got some equipment left from ye olde glamping days including a cook stove, a sleeping pad that I like, and I think I still have an axe in my box along with a couple of 1lb propane lanterns. No big water jugs or extra fuel cannisters. I'm not sure if my tent (which was crappy to begin with) is even usable. My bushwhacking skills are faded if not long gone memories. When I try to search for dispersed camping around my home (West Tennessee), I don't come up with much. So for me, I need to figure out a good place to go for a first short distance trip (say a couple of nights), what equipment I need to buy to have a baseline to go, and if I can reasonably and safely do that without someone more experienced along.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
As a total beginner, one thing I think would make a nice Q&A or more of a guide even, would be the OL equivalent of a Couch to 5k plan (Mike, need a video idea??? :) ). Basically everything you'd need to go from zero to your first OL trip. There are threads and things I've seen poking around that cover all the pieces, but it'd be nice to have it all in one place. For me, I've got a longer term goal (say sometime next year) of a full on trip somewhere in the north rim area, or up into Utah or the like. On a shorter term (maybe this fall or early spring) I'm hoping to do something much closer to home. Where I'm finding that challenging is in two areas. Finding some areas closer to home, and understand baselines of what would be needed. So as a long winded example...

I'm starting pretty much from scratch. I have a fairly capable off road vehicle, but it's completely stock. I've got some equipment left from ye olde glamping days including a cook stove, a sleeping pad that I like, and I think I still have an axe in my box along with a couple of 1lb propane lanterns. No big water jugs or extra fuel cannisters. I'm not sure if my tent (which was crappy to begin with) is even usable. My bushwhacking skills are faded if not long gone memories. When I try to search for dispersed camping around my home (West Tennessee), I don't come up with much. So for me, I need to figure out a good place to go for a first short distance trip (say a couple of nights), what equipment I need to buy to have a baseline to go, and if I can reasonably and safely do that without someone more experienced along.
Everyone's idea of adventure is different, and their setup needs are just as diverse. It'd be very difficult to have a complete guide to getting started that would meet everyone's needs/level. However, I like your idea to have everything beginner related in one category. That way, folks can look through what is available and pick out the topics that are applicable to them. As for vehicles, you do not need a built up "rig". The whole concept of Overland Bound is "it doesn't matter what you drive". My vehicle is totally stock also, and I take it everywhere I know it can go. Just know and respect your vehicle's (and your own) limits and you will be fine.

In the meantime, this may help

IndianaMark

Rank II

Contributor III

Shelbyville, IN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Andrews
Member #

Greetings! I am currently studying for licensure. There are resources available on the National Association for Amateur Radio (arrl.org) site. Check this link out for free practice exam information, how to find a class and testing sites in your area. Getting Licensed

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that I’m going to set up as my overland rig is anyone making parts like bumpers, skid plates etc. I haven’t had any luck finding them.
Thanks for any info, Dale
I don’t think I have ever seen a Liberty kitted out in armor that wasn’t a one off job.

Lone Wolf 1965

Rank V

Traveler III

Casper, Natrona County, Wyoming, United States
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that I’m going to set up as my overland rig is anyone making parts like bumpers, skid plates etc. I haven’t had any luck finding them.
Thanks for any info, Dale
I don’t think I have ever seen a Liberty kitted out in armor that wasn’t a one off job.

Thanks that’s what I thought and was afraid of

Reactions: DaleRF and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks that’s what I thought and was afraid of
I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news… but this gives you the opportunity to have something built… you might contact Coastal Off-road in Vancouver BC about prototyping something for the 1st Gen Patriots.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
The good concept I'll be keeping an eye on it to observe how it develops. I see it working nicely right now. Yet, as more individuals inquire and there are more webpages like hdo box player not working, we might need to sub-categorize so a previously addressed issue doesn't get lost and keep getting raised.
Welcome from Arizona!

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

Tacodrew22

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Michigan, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Haight
Cooper Discover Rugged treks for Overlanding. They’re 2ply sidewall and 5ply tread is that adequate for off-road use.

Hodgespa

Rank IV
Investor

Explorer I

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Drown
Member #

Cooper Discover Rugged treks for Overlanding. They’re 2ply sidewall and 5ply tread is that adequate for off-road use.
Tire selection is a difficult question to answer. It really all depends on what you are driving and the types of conditions you plan on encountering. If you plan on more pavement time and some light off-road use then an all terrain or even all weather passenger tire would be suitable. If you are driving a very heavy rig, you may want to consider a thicker sidewall for stability. You may also want a higher ply if you intend on running aired down and on rough, rocky terrain.

There is a ton to consider so unfortunately it's not a real straight answer. Cooper, in general, makes good tires. The ones you are asking about have a pretty aggressive tread so they may be a little louder on highways. I don't have any personal experience running them though.

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer though, but hopefully have given you something more to consider when shopping around.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965