In search of: The Best Ground Tents

• HTML tutorial

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I agree with almost everything you've said.

View attachment 19455

Very light, nylon - with stove - the Kifaru Sawtooth. They also make Tipi tents 8 - 24 man with stove jacks.

Not perfect but pretty good for winter, although my stove is really too small and doesn't seal well enough to keep a fire burning - but it's really light. For warmer weather I don't like it - insufficient venting, no bug net. I like not having a floor more often than not - but a dust storm would be bad - well, truth is it would be bad in anything.

I'm leaning toward canvas - possibly a modified Kodiak for car camping - I don't do the hiking thing anymore. I've seen a few modified to use a stove and it works but it's not ideal. I'm debating the wisdom of putting the stove jack in the roof - not sure how structural that curved rooftop is on the flex-bow. Stoves work better when the pipe goes up, less well even at 60 degrees - almost not at all with 90 degree bends.

I've looked at Davis online - none of them seem like an easy 1 man setup - but they are excellent tents. I really like the Tentipi but - ouch $$$$.

If Kodiak would just add a stove jack in the Flex-Bow 10x10 or 10x14 as an option it would be my first choice.

Still looking.
You might want to look at canvas camp. I have this one: https://www.canvascamp.com/en/cotton-tents/sibley/pro/sibley-500-ultimate-pro-tech.html

Very good floor, great ventilation, rated for over 70 mile-winds, classic look, and works well with a wood stove. Also well priced. The cons are a lot of stakes for set up, heavy, and you need a big flat space. The Pro Tech is what I would recommend .

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg
You might want to look at canvas camp. I have this one: https://www.canvascamp.com/en/cotton-tents/sibley/pro/sibley-500-ultimate-pro-tech.html

Very good floor, great ventilation, rated for over 70 mile-winds, classic look, and works well with a wood stove. Also well priced. The cons are a lot of stakes for set up, heavy, and you need a big flat space. The Pro Tech is what I would recommend .
Been looking for a new tent. Can not decide but checked this out today very similar

Attachments

Reactions: Drifterman

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

I agree with almost everything you've said.

View attachment 19455

Very light, nylon - with stove - the Kifaru Sawtooth. They also make Tipi tents 8 - 24 man with stove jacks.

Not perfect but pretty good for winter, although my stove is really too small and doesn't seal well enough to keep a fire burning - but it's really light. For warmer weather I don't like it - insufficient venting, no bug net. I like not having a floor more often than not - but a dust storm would be bad - well, truth is it would be bad in anything.

I'm leaning toward canvas - possibly a modified Kodiak for car camping - I don't do the hiking thing anymore. I've seen a few modified to use a stove and it works but it's not ideal. I'm debating the wisdom of putting the stove jack in the roof - not sure how structural that curved rooftop is on the flex-bow. Stoves work better when the pipe goes up, less well even at 60 degrees - almost not at all with 90 degree bends.

I've looked at Davis online - none of them seem like an easy 1 man setup - but they are excellent tents. I really like the Tentipi but - ouch $$$$.

If Kodiak would just add a stove jack in the Flex-Bow 10x10 or 10x14 as an option it would be my first choice.

Still looking.
For basecamping, take a serious look at the new generation of canvas tents. https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/ or Dave Ellis tents https://www.elliscanvastents.com/

My tent is a 10X13 Snowtrekker. Made out of 7oz canvas and can be equipped with a screen door and window that can be velcroed in during bug season. Totally rain proof and plenty of room for cots, tables, chairs or illuminate disco floor.

My favorite time to camp is Fall through Spring in the northern Midwest. No people, no bugs, no bears!

There are a variety of simple wood stoves. Mine is made by Four Dog Stoves http://fourdog.com/
http://fourdog.com/
Morning after an 8" snowfall and before firing up the stove...

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

For basecamping, take a serious look at the new generation of canvas tents. https://www.snowtrekkertents.com/ or Dave Ellis tents https://www.elliscanvastents.com/

My tent is a 10X13 Snowtrekker. Made out of 7oz canvas and can be equipped with a screen door and window that can be velcroed in during bug season. Totally rain proof and plenty of room for cots, tables, chairs or illuminate disco floor.

My favorite time to camp is Fall through Spring in the northern Midwest. No people, no bugs, no bears!

There are a variety of simple wood stoves. Mine is made by Four Dog Stoves http://fourdog.com/
http://fourdog.com/

How do you guys fit the stove into your travels? Plus wood?

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

How do you guys fit the stove into your travels? Plus wood?

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
My stove is all titanium and the stove pipe fits in the stove for transport. Total weight is 12lbs. The space it takes in the Jeep is more than offset by the benefit of having a warm and dry place to hang out. Firewood can be harvested at your destination. For those areas with prohibitions against firewood transport, I will purchase compressed sawdust blocks at the big box hardware stores. Very efficient burn times and heat output. I will bring just enough to get me through the first night.

During winter basecamps, I spend a good portion of the day harvesting firewood and bucking it up into stove lengths. It's a lot of work, but good work. For me, it is a form of meditation to sit in front of the stove on a -30F night and sip on a glass of single barrel listening to the wind howl and the trees pop from the cold.

It helps to have a wicked good saw: Silky Katanaboy

In deep snow conditions, you can pack the snow with snowshoes and let it set up, then set the tent on top. Excavate an area for the stove and kitchen area and create a sleeping platform in the back of the tent.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli

Same. I've always been happier when it's colder.
I sent a note to Kodiak about stove jacks and moving a damp tent - their answer was essentially Not Recommended, and No.

So I'm curious - if you have to pack up when the tent is still damp (condensation, or whatever) would you worry about tossing it back in the car for a couple days of travel?

Stove I'd really like to have (just cause it's pretty)
orland_tent_stove.jpg

It's also a really good stove. but pricey.

I'm still looking - I'll be a while before I do anything about Yet Another Tent.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I looked at these and while they do look amazing, in reality I thought they might be too big to put up and take down daily. I figured these tents would be best suited if you're going to spend several days in one site. I like my tent (Tentipi Safir 9) as I can have it out of its bag and up within 5 minutes. it only requires one pole and few pegs. I can also use a log burning stove (I don't have the stove but hoping that it will show up on Christmas Day)

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

That stove is called the Orland, and if money were no option, that is what I would get. An equally good stove is the Fourdog stove. Also of very good quality. BTW, the Orland is in a Canvascamp tent. You can see how thick the PVC floor is, and how it wraps up the side like a bathtub

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

I looked at these and while they do look amazing, in reality I thought they might be too big to put up and take down daily. I figured these tents would be best suited if you're going to spend several days in one site. I like my tent (Tentipi Safir 9) as I can have it out of its bag and up within 5 minutes. it only requires one pole and few pegs. I can also use a log burning stove (I don't have the stove but hoping that it will show up on Christmas Day)
Agreed. Definitely not for a daily moving camp.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
If I could have whatever tent setup I wanted, it would probably be a Tentipi Safir 7, an Oland Stove and a Helka 7 Firebox. I might go with the Safir 9, but that's got a substantial footprint (as I'm sure you know) nearly 17 1/2 feet + guy ropes.
The truth is, it's unlikely to happen unless my first book does incredibly well on Amazon when I get it finished - (friend doing a final review now). And someone options it for a film -- not holding my breath, or even crossing my fingers, need to work on the next book -- then maybe. But realistically, that's not going to happen.

I'm researching. Trying to figure out the correct balance between speed of setup, size, external footprint, useable internal footprint, durability, bug resistance, ventilation, stove placement, space in the vehicle, and price. I'm not sure I've even figured out the priorities for those yet - although price and ease of setup (1-man), are going to be near the top.

The list includes: Sibly 400 ProTech, Kodiak Flex Bow, Tentipi Safir 7, so far.

Even though Kodiak doesn't recommend the use of stoves in their tents, I might go that route anyway. It means finding some sort of fire retardant floor covering, at least around the stove. And modifying the tent wall or roof to install a stove jack - but the 10x10 is on sale at Cabela's for 399, 499 for the 10x14 so...

In the meantime, I have my old REI tent, my Kifaru Sawtooth, my odd Kelty tent, and my Stephenson tent (that I never got around to using).

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer the Tentipi to the Sibley Pro Tech? When I was doing my comparison, ventilation, bug resistance, stove use, price, storm protection floor, useable internal space, ease of set up, strength, etc..., it seemed to check all the boxes. I do think the Tentipi is a very impressive tent, but the two differ really in only a few ways, other than price. The Sibley has side walls and an integrated floor. The side walls allow for more useable space than the Tentipi and better ventilation. The integrated floor adds weight to the Sibley but is an option on the Tentipi if I am not mistaken. Keeping bugs, critters, and water out is pretty high on my list.

I don't think that the Sibley is the "best" tent for everyone, and I am more curious about your comparison process, and what tipped the scales than convincing you to buy the brand I did to reassure me I made the right choice.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer the Tentipi to the Sibley Pro Tech? When I was doing my comparison, ventilation, bug resistance, stove use, price, storm protection floor, useable internal space, ease of set up, strength, etc..., it seemed to check all the boxes. I do think the Tentipi is a very impressive tent, but the two differ really in only a few ways, other than price. The Sibley has side walls and an integrated floor. The side walls allow for more useable space than the Tentipi and better ventilation. The integrated floor adds weight to the Sibley but is an option on the Tentipi if I am not mistaken. Keeping bugs, critters, and water out is pretty high on my list.

I don't think that the Sibley is the "best" tent for everyone, and I am more curious about your comparison process, and what tipped the scales than convincing you to buy the brand I did to reassure me I made the right choice.
That question could be asked to anything that anyone buys when I did my research I looked at all the boxes I wanted to tick including all those that you mentioned in addition to availability etc. I have only mentioned that in my opinion it's the best option that fits my needs. Its not my intention to sound as if I'm trying to force everyone to buy the same tent. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I'm pointing it out so that pepile who might not have come across the brand may consider it when theyre making their choices.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I meant no offense, and really tried to go out of my way to say that I was just curious, and that no tent is the "best," to each their own etc... most folks on this forum like sharing their rationality. I am not sure how I could not have been more clear in my question that it was about the comparisons process, and not trying to convince others that one tent over the other was "better." In fact, I learn quite a bit from others, and how they reach their personal conclusions. That is why I find these forums interesting. I am often wrong and it is likely based on similar criteria I missed something. According to my way, it is common enough.

Some people like to discuss details, and some don't. Forums like these typically go into the weeds of a discussion, which is why I enjoy them. A discussion about "The best ground tent" naturally invites that sort of pro vs. con discussion, which has been a part of this thread so far. However, not looking to create discord and seems best if I bow out of the discussion. Sorry if my sincere question rubbed people the wrong way.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I meant no offense, and really tried to go out of my way to say that I was just curious, and that no tent is the "best," to each their own etc... most folks on this forum like sharing their rationality. I am not sure how I could not have been more clear in my question that it was about the comparisons process, and not trying to convince others that one tent over the other was "better." In fact, I learn quite a bit from others, and how they reach their personal conclusions. That is why I find these forums interesting. I am often wrong and it is likely based on similar criteria I missed something. According to my way, it is common enough.

Some people like to discuss details, and some don't. Forums like these typically go into the weeds of a discussion, which is why I enjoy them. A discussion about "The best ground tent" naturally invites that sort of pro vs. con discussion, which has been a part of this thread so far. However, not looking to create discord and seems best if I bow out of the discussion. Sorry if my sincere question rubbed people the wrong way.
No offence intended, forgive me if you feel that way. this is part of why sometimes forums are not suited to everyone as some people are easily offended. perhaps my quarter of a century in the Armed Forces have made me a little abrupt and my sense of humour is often difficult for some to understand.

please accept my sincere apologies

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Just to caveat to the above, I started this thread for discussion. Not a list of brands or names. not a push my product on people kind of thing. I am glad you two were able to reason out and this is one reason why I love this forum. On some of the other forums I have been apart of, this would've turned into a pissing contest.

But for the sake of the rest of this thread. This is really to enter a full discussion on tents, why, and what you use it for. For me, this thread has proven to be extremely helpful. There is so much about tent camping that I did not know, so thank you to everyone so far who has provided information and continue to discuss it. You guys rock!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

This is really to enter a full discussion on tents, why, and what you use it for.
Just to clarify, this is a discussion on the "Best" ground tent, not just on tents. There are several existing threads on tents in general and specific types of threads. That's why I asked if you were specifically looking for the "best tent" in the second post of this thread.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Just to clarify, this is a discussion on the "Best" ground tent, not just on tents. There are several existing threads on tents in general and specific types of threads. That's why I asked if you were specifically looking for the "best tent" in the second post of this thread.
Well it did start at that but it really did turn into more of a what everyone thinks is the best tent which I mean I guess you cant really avoid. Multiple threads of similar topics are going to happen. But it is what it is, thats semantics.