First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Che
checking out all possibilities with this tent on line. This looks like a great option for winter camping. Planning a trip to Alaska. With the ability to use wood burning stove, liners, etc... this woulb be a great option for a base camp setup.

Reactions: Drifterman

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Che

checking out all possibilities with this tent on line. This looks like a great option for winter camping. Planning a trip to Alaska. With the ability to use wood burning stove, liners, etc... this woulb be a great option for a base camp setup.
I have the optional porch too. I'd like to get the "Eldfell stove" which is a wood burning stove. there is a hole in the to
if the tipi to accommodate the chimney from the stove. I love my tipi, but I must warn you, it's not cheap

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have the optional porch too. I'd like to get the "Eldfell stove" which is a wood burning stove. there is a hole in the to
if the tipi to accommodate the chimney from the stove. I love my tipi, but I must warn you, it's not cheap
I have a titanium stove that I think could be used with this tent. I'm blessed, cost is always way down on my list of concerns.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Just ordered a Tentipi: Safir 9CP, inner-tent, tent floor, and tent porch. Ordered it from Mansfield outdoors. If it works out, this will be my new winter base camp tent. Thanks for the recommendation @Defender 90 Keith
I hope it works out too. All I know is that I'm really impressed with mine.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We have 3 tents and all of them are great ... a 2p Kelty Zen, a 4p REI Halfdome, and a 6p 12Survivors Shire.

The 12Survivors is our most recent purchase and may also be the biggest bang for the buck. It runs about $200, features a bathtub construction, full mesh walls, fully taped seams, a full rain fly with 2 small vestibules for gear, and aluminum poles.

I like that it looks like a traditional smaller dome tent, but at nearly 6'4" I can almost stand all the way up in the middle. We recently slept 5 people and 75 lbs lab and a 50 lbs hound dog, and we all fit fine. It also held up great to 1.5" of rain and 20mph gusts.

For $200, I feel like it's a deal.

They also make a 2p for $100, and a 4p for $150

Last edited:

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I agree with almost everything you've said.

View attachment 19455

Very light, nylon - with stove - the Kifaru Sawtooth. They also make Tipi tents 8 - 24 man with stove jacks.

Not perfect but pretty good for winter, although my stove is really too small and doesn't seal well enough to keep a fire burning - but it's really light. For warmer weather I don't like it - insufficient venting, no bug net. I like not having a floor more often than not - but a dust storm would be bad - well, truth is it would be bad in anything.

I'm leaning toward canvas - possibly a modified Kodiak for car camping - I don't do the hiking thing anymore. I've seen a few modified to use a stove and it works but it's not ideal. I'm debating the wisdom of putting the stove jack in the roof - not sure how structural that curved rooftop is on the flex-bow. Stoves work better when the pipe goes up, less well even at 60 degrees - almost not at all with 90 degree bends.

I've looked at Davis online - none of them seem like an easy 1 man setup - but they are excellent tents. I really like the Tentipi but - ouch $$$$.

If Kodiak would just add a stove jack in the Flex-Bow 10x10 or 10x14 as an option it would be my first choice.

Still looking.
You should check out the Orland stoves. They are beautiful and jack out of the side windows of the Bell Tents. Also, had no idea about the nylon tents with the stove. pretty cool.

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Saw the folks from Mansfield at the NW Overlanding Rally and I picked up this 9 person Tipi. Very nice people, helpful and informative. Tent is easy to put up and only had one pole and fits in a small duffle bag sized bag.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Personally I like backpacking tents they are easy to set up, small so they don't take up much space and they are usually the best when it comes to waterproofing. I have a marmot catalyst 2p tent, I got it from dicks sporting goods. Their website likes to blow out tents for 50% off.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

This spring we picked up the Big Agnes Big House 6. It's a 6 man tent with 78'' of head room and 75'sq of floor space. We're able to get two Cabellas sleeping cots along with the Pack 'n Play for the baby and still have room to move around. I'm 6' tall and have more than enough room to stand up, get dressed etc. We also pulled the trigger on the optional vestibule, we essentially gives you a covered porch with enough room for up to 6 adults and a cooler ;-) to get out the the rain, or seek shade in the mid-day heat. So far we've weathered a couple of pretty legit storms with winds strong enough to knock down trees and it's been fully reliable. It is a little on the expensive side, but for what you get and the fact that it packs into a provided duffle bag that's small enough to take as an airline carry-on bag. It's a pretty solid piece of gear.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Big-House-6-Deluxe

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 7.52.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 7.59.24 AM.png

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Keep us informed. I will be buying in the near future and as of now the Black Pines is in the lead, (well, oz tent is in the lead but $$$$ talks).
Just got it in... This bad boy is nice! I have a real nice backpacking tent for solo trips but I think I have spoiled myself. 20170816_160821.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using OB Talk mobile app