In search of: The Best Ground Tents

• HTML tutorial

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

I have a Kamprite double cot tent coming in the mail. My wife and I are taking a trip to Maine in a few weeks so I will report back on how it holds up. I ended up going with that one because it seems like set up and break down is quick and painless, especially since we will be moving to a new camping area relatively frequently. It reminded me of an RTT minus the roof aspect. Besides my rig is a Jeep TJ, so cargo space is at a premium (especially with a four legged travel companion) and I like that I will be able to store other things in my rooftop basket. Not sure if the included carrying bag is weather resistant in case it rains but that's nothing a bit of scotch guard can't fix!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Drifterman

GHQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fidalgo Island, WA USA
Member #

Our friends have an REI Kingdom 8 and love it. A little tender in high wind plus it's whale bodied with a central spine and four ribs/hoops. We liked it but opted for the Marmot Limestone 8P -- dome construction with fewer and beefier poles. It's been a base camp champ for a large crew. Stock photo: marm8p.jpg

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

This has been a great thread, and it certainly helped me. One of the things I've figured out is the "Best" tent is the one that fits your needs. Back when I was 2 wheeling it, I was using a REI half dome, and also a Redvers motorcycle tent. Both had their great points. The REI is a bomber tent especially for one person, light and small, it was easy to carry on the bike. The Redvers was built to park a full sized BMW 1200GS in the vestibule and that was awesome, but it was 10lbs and you pay a penalty for that much weight on a big bike. As I got older, I hated sleeping on the ground, so that led to the hammock. With an under-quilt and a big tarp, the hammock is fantastic. Small, light, and comfortable. It doesn't work so well if you have no trees though. The hammock has been my go to for whitewater kayaking trips into North Carolina.

When I got my Taco in Sept, it opened up some options I had missed having since the GS went away. It also gave me the opportunity to take the lady along too. She doesn't mind sleeping on the ground, but after a hip replacement and just being a grump, ground sleeping is my last resort. I considered a RTT, and ruled it out. The Taco is my daily driver, plus I am still paddling, so I need the space to shuttle kayaks. Mounting and un-mounting a big, heavy, EXPENSIVE, tent just didn't do it for me. Plus on paddling trips I wanted to leave my camp set up. I though about tipi's and canvas tents. I have to say, I really liked those. I can get a queen sized cot in one with no problem and they are just cool. But, I live in the Southeast, where it is so humid you can cut it with a knife. I'm just not willing to pay $$$$ for a canvas tent that will have to live in a high mildew environment. So that left a conventional ground tent. I could use my Redvers tent with it's massive vestibule, but it doesn't have enough room in the tent proper for a queen sized cot (I did say I was done sleeping on the ground). So after much looking around and research, my lady and I made the trek up to the REI outside of Nashville where I purchased the Kingdom 4 and the Garage to go with it. We also have a Coleman queen cot with air mattress and it will fit perfect in the tent.

So it looks like that will be my "Best" tent. I will still use the hammock for paddling trips when I need to downsize my load and make room for boats, or I just don't feel like packing the Kingdom for a solo trip. Hope this helps someone. Happy Overlanding!

soarvet

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford, GA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Anybody else use a Nemo tent? Curious how they are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TnWalrus

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Memphis, TN
Member #

Anybody else use a Nemo tent? Curious how they are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't have one, but Nemo has a pretty good reputation. It's on par with REI,Marmot, Kelty, MSR, Big Agnes, North Face, ETC. Any of these companies are going to make outstanding tents. I don't know what your criteria are for your tent, but Hilleberg makes some of the most bomb proof tents you can get.

Amansh

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Walker louisiana
Member #

20171021_141607.jpg
Picked up an army surplus vehicle crew tent. A little heavy at 90lbs with everything but sub freezing is no issue. Extremely well insulated and has a loft that will hold at least 2 or 3 FULL packs. Plenty room for 3 full grown men and a German shepherd with extra space in the middle. 2 doors 2 window vents and a built in stove jack. Right at $400. I couldn't be happier. Last trip we got snowed on and were still sitting around in shorts playing cards when we were in it. Tested to 15 degrees so far. No wind or light bleed through with the rain fly on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Snowburb

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Utah County, UT, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tullis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7DMT
DSC_0029.JPG I recommend Springbar tents, made by hand in SLC, Utah, as they have been for over something like 60 years. Their durability is measured not in years, or even decades, but generations. No joke. I am still using my parents modular Springbar from the 70s. I have tried other tents - Kelty, REI, Cabelas, Eureka, and others--which were fine for light duty use. But I always come back to the Springbar for peace of mind and better sleep. I sleep better because it is so solid and substantial and stands up to any kind of weather, including sustained gale-force winds that will defeat lighter tents. Granted, it is heavy and bulky and takes some effort to set it up, but I usually have some helpers running around who love setting up this beast. Depending on how hard the ground is, I can set it up in about 30-40 minutes and take it down in 10.

The Leisure port, with modular bedrooms, is no longer in production except for rare special orders. It is said they were too labor intensive to build and the ROI didn't pencil out for Kirkhams, the company in SLC that manufactures it. But you can find them on the used market for $500-$800, depending on condition and number of modular accessories: bedrooms, hallways, walls, etc.

Again, it depends on what your needs are, and what your budget is, but if you want to invest in a high quality ground tent so durable that your children can inherit (assuming you properly maintain it and never pack it wet), I recommend Springbar. And if you can find one, a Leisure Port with modular bedrooms like the one pictured above. It is the best tent I have ever used.

Canyonlands, UT, April 2017

Last edited:

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Eureka Titan 8 person was our families go-to for many years... just downsized to a CVT Pioneer roof top tent for the kids and a FrontRunner flip pop tent for us.

My big thing was to get rid of dealing with tent sleeves and just have clips, which is why we had the Eureka Titan and loved it...

James

Reactions: Drifterman and A&W

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
OzTent. It says 30 seconds. I’m at 1.2 minutes currently. We were going to go the RTT route but i cannot imagine being in one in a wind storm.

We have had our OzTent RV-4 for a little over a year and love it, built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

I have a myriad of tents for all kinds of applications from ultralight tarp backpacking or kayak setups, to ones I favor for float trips, to others I favor for Overland trips. sometimes they’re one in the same since my Overland trips are usually to go somewhere to do something.

Two systems that stand out for me are either Seek Outside heated tipis, or the Thermarest Tranquility 6. If I’m car camping, I like a certain bit of luxury, like standing room. Both offer it. For compact, ultralight shelter, it’s hard to beat Seek Outside. The ability to fire up a titanium wood stove when it’s cold out is a true luxury. The catch is you need ground soft enough to get stakes into. The beauty of the Tranquility 6 Tent is it’s completely free standing pitch of tent and Fly, so even if you’re pitching on a campground slab or rock, you’re good to go.

IRWaller

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Hope, PA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Waller
Member #

View attachment 43842 I recommend Springbar tents, made by hand in SLC, Utah, as they have been for over something like 60 years. Their durability is measured not in years, or even decades, but generations. No joke. I am still using my parents modular Springbar from the 70s. I have tried other tents - Kelty, REI, Cabelas, Eureka, and others--which were fine for light duty use. But I always come back to the Springbar for peace of mind and better sleep. I sleep better because it is so solid and substantial and stands up to any kind of weather, including sustained gale-force winds that will defeat lighter tents. Granted, it is heavy and bulky and takes some effort to set it up, but I usually have some helpers running around who love setting up this beast. Depending on how hard the ground is, I can set it up in about 30-40 minutes and take it down in 10.8EgCmdCDQOOw75L5T3bCuQ.jpg

The Leisure port, with modular bedrooms, is no longer in production except for rare special orders. It is said they were too labor intensive to build and the ROI didn't pencil out for Kirkhams, the company in SLC that manufactures it. But you can find them on the used market for $500-$800, depending on condition and number of modular accessories: bedrooms, hallways, walls, etc.

Again, it depends on what your needs are, and what your budget is, but if you want to invest in a high quality ground tent so durable that your children can inherit (assuming you properly maintain it and never pack it wet), I recommend Springbar. And if you can find one, a Leisure Port with modular bedrooms like the one pictured above. It is the best tent I have ever used.

Canyonlands, UT, April 2017

I second the Springbar! I have a 7x10 and the quality is second to none. Setup / takedown by myself or with minimal assistance from 8yo daughter.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I have the 10x14 Kodiak also. Just a great tent. I have only used mine 3 times due to changes. I may need to find it a new home since it is basically brand new and doesn't get used. But it is a tent you could hand down to the kids, it's pretty durable.

Just picked up a Big Agnes SL2 for the motorcycle, backpack, and solo car trips. Used my dividend and 30% coupon from REI, free shipping, and got it for $120 less than retail. Can't beat that.

07V84WD

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Louisiana
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Hoof
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GIY
Service Branch
Navy
I am a fan of the canvas camp tent, with the Orland stove. It is a heavy set up, but less weight than any RTT and set up is not bad
What brand of tent is that one in the picture?