First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Here are my thoughts,

I have spent over 400 days of my life in a tent. 58 days straight was my longest run.

The type of tent really depends on what type of camping you are doing.

If you are hiking in to a spot, a 1 or 2 person tent is best because of weight. The lighter the better, but the lighter it is, the more it's gunna cost!

Cold or windy weather, well, I like a small "low" tent. They seem to be warmer, and less effected by the wind.

Summer, Hot, or a bunch of kids, get yourself the biggest cheapest tent you can find. Or a hammock works great, or just a tarp with a bag under it.

Overlanding, I like a tent that has only a few poles, and can be setup by myself, in poor weather conditions, in 15 minutes or less! Oh yeah....in the dark! Cause it's gunna happen!

I have had the same couple tents now for 8+ years. I know exactly where each pole goes, I know when I roll it out I am standing where the door will be.

One, time it was so cold, below Zero(-0), that I set up my 8x8 dome tent, and then put my 2 man tent inside it. Worked great. Stayed super warm.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Here's my "Best Tent" for my needs.
I sleep alone, my wife doesn't like camping.
Easy set up and take down less than 5 minutes each.
I can strap it to my roofrack or toss it in the back of my FJ, depending on how much gear I'm haulin'
Toss in a comfy mattress and I'm sleeping like a baby!kamp_rite_oversized_tent_cot_1203094_1_og.jpg

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Given that this is an "Ultimate" discussion,
I think there is a big dividing factor: Are you packing this on your back, or packing it in your rig? My guess is that for most people it is the rig.

If weight is not a major factor, next is are you on your knees or can you stand up? This is a pretty big divide but if you have ever been stuck in a tent for a while, then you know that this difference is night and day.

So if you are still with me, and you have your big, stand-up-in tent, then there is one last divide: some allow for woodstoves. To me, this is the difference between a cozy and homey tent experience and a mummified cocoon-like retreat. If you want a stand-up inside tent that can take a wood stove, it is going to be canvas. There are only a few of these out there.

My two-cents

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Extremely happy with the way this post has turned out. Seems a couple people have been turned on to new ideas, I have learned a lot about tents. I'm a novice when it comes down to it. I know my fair share from the military and family camping trips but that's was always nice weather, with a BS Coleman tent nothing crazy.

As for some of the questions. O feel like the fireplace just adds more to it. It will most likely be on the rig until setup but I don't want to clutter it with hundreds of items. I'm still a minimalist. Me the better looking half and a dog or two. If I'm alone I'll be using the tent cot or a hammock.

I'm 6'4". I need space. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

We use a Coleman Easy Up tent which was given to us. When it's in use we really like it. Not too difficult to setup as the name suggests. Lots of room to stand.

The big downside to this as opposed to a more expensive tent like the REI Kingdom Dome is the packed size. We have the "10 person" size which basically equates to the REI Kingdom Dome 8. The tent, when packed, spans nearly the entire back seat as opposed to the REI unit which is similar in size to a frame-in backpack.

The price was right but eventually I'd like to upgrade just to open up some space in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

There is a fellow on the Texas Overland facebook page that has one of these and swears it's the best tent he's ever had.
For the price, I believe it. If I get to where I want a bigger shelter, then I'll look into this or a larger RTT.
https://store.advancedsheltersystemsinc.com/?___store=shiftpod
Wow I've never seen these before. there looks like there's loads if room inside. I cant imagine theyre suitable for more extreme weather conditions.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I bet it is good for the Burning Man conditions, where you are trying to keep sand out, high winds, and you can afford the air conditioning option, but ventilation seems less than optimal. It does not breath like canvas, and while polls seem flexible and integrated, and set up seems quick, but would hate to try and repair a tear. Also, I like more room in a tent. However, very cool concept and I like their charity angle.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Anything that's instant up is all i use now. I don't even mess with poles anymore... I use an ozark trail instant up tent. I can set it up and take it down in 1 minute or less. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-8-Person-2-Room-Instant-Cabin-Tent/42120623
Whats the footprint when packed, dimensions and weight? Wind conditions? 4 season?

my preference is going to be something I can take out in all weather conditions and stay warm and dry as possible. I know there will be more tips and tricks to help with that than anything else.

Reactions: Drifterman

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Whats the footprint when packed, dimensions and weight? Wind conditions? 4 season?

my preference is going to be something I can take out in all weather conditions and stay warm and dry as possible. I know there will be more tips and tricks to help with that than anything else.
I'll have to get a photo of it packed and the weight and stuff. Not heavy at all. Very small when packed, maybe 3' long 6 to 7" wide and 6 to 7" tall? I always change stakes because the ones that come with tents are pretty flimsy. Never had any issues with wind but also never had it out in a tornado either. I've used it in winter, but I also have a 3 bag military style sleeping bag system, and I used to just do "no tent" and sleep on the ground, so everything seems warm to me now. Never gotten wet in it as long as the rain fly was on. For the price, it was a win for me due to the no poles and easy set up.

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

I'll have to get a photo of it packed and the weight and stuff. Not heavy at all. Very small when packed, maybe 3' long 6 to 7" wide and 6 to 7" tall? I always change stakes because the ones that come with tents are pretty flimsy. Never had any issues with wind but also never had it out in a tornado either. I've used it in winter, but I also have a 3 bag military style sleeping bag system, and I used to just do "no tent" and sleep on the ground, so everything seems warm to me now. Never gotten wet in it as long as the rain fly was on. For the price, it was a win for me due to the no poles and easy set up.
You have my interest with it for sure just for the simplicity. I eventually want to make a trailer and put an RTT on that and use it as basecamp but for now I want to be quick and mobile from the truck itself. I too have the 3 bag military style plus just a single military pop up 1 man tent. My biggest worry is always just how it will hold and overall length of use someon has gotten out of it for price. Price here is very very fair if it last and handles well.

Reactions: Drifterman

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

Here's my "Best Tent" for my needs.
I sleep alone, my wife doesn't like camping.
Easy set up and take down less than 5 minutes each.
I can strap it to my roofrack or toss it in the back of my FJ, depending on how much gear I'm haulin'
Toss in a comfy mattress and I'm sleeping like a baby!View attachment 17873
I used to use one of these. Got soaked at Overland Expo East and bought an OzTent. There are more expensive brands that fold up easier, but you'll never beat the Kamp Rite price.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TXpedition

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

You have my interest with it for sure just for the simplicity. I eventually want to make a trailer and put an RTT on that and use it as basecamp but for now I want to be quick and mobile from the truck itself. I too have the 3 bag military style plus just a single military pop up 1 man tent. My biggest worry is always just how it will hold and overall length of use someon has gotten out of it for price. Price here is very very fair if it last and handles well.
I've had mine about 3-4 years now. No issues ever, not even any sort of tears or anything (it did come with a patch kit which is pretty standard). I will try to get some pics of it bagged up sometime soon. just forgot today, so busy trying to get my winch installed on the X.

WhiskeyIsMySpiritAnimal

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale AZ
Member #

IMG_6225.JPG Here is my tent a Coleman Octagon 98. This thing is huge and sturdy with great ventilation and great weather protection. It almost feels like a yurt it is so sturdy.

I will say it's great for my needs and I love the Coleman "D" door that makes getting in and out of it simple. It's not an instant up, but goes up fast with color coded poles that snap into place.

If or when this tent needs replaced I'd probably look at a Kodiak flex bow tent.

IMG_6226.JPG

Attachments

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Given that this is an "Ultimate" discussion,
I think there is a big dividing factor: Are you packing this on your back, or packing it in your rig? My guess is that for most people it is the rig.

If weight is not a major factor, next is are you on your knees or can you stand up? This is a pretty big divide but if you have ever been stuck in a tent for a while, then you know that this difference is night and day.

So if you are still with me, and you have your big, stand-up-in tent, then there is one last divide: some allow for woodstoves. To me, this is the difference between a cozy and homey tent experience and a mummified cocoon-like retreat. If you want a stand-up inside tent that can take a wood stove, it is going to be canvas. There are only a few of these out there.

My two-cents
I agree with almost everything you've said.

Kifaru Sawtooth.jpg

Very light, nylon - with stove - the Kifaru Sawtooth. They also make Tipi tents 8 - 24 man with stove jacks.

Not perfect but pretty good for winter, although my stove is really too small and doesn't seal well enough to keep a fire burning - but it's really light. For warmer weather I don't like it - insufficient venting, no bug net. I like not having a floor more often than not - but a dust storm would be bad - well, truth is it would be bad in anything.

I'm leaning toward canvas - possibly a modified Kodiak for car camping - I don't do the hiking thing anymore. I've seen a few modified to use a stove and it works but it's not ideal. I'm debating the wisdom of putting the stove jack in the roof - not sure how structural that curved rooftop is on the flex-bow. Stoves work better when the pipe goes up, less well even at 60 degrees - almost not at all with 90 degree bends.

I've looked at Davis online - none of them seem like an easy 1 man setup - but they are excellent tents. I really like the Tentipi but - ouch $$$$.

If Kodiak would just add a stove jack in the Flex-Bow 10x10 or 10x14 as an option it would be my first choice.

Still looking.