In search of: The Best Ground Tents

• HTML tutorial

SC4runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

St. Matthews, SC
Member #

OP, since you've got military/government affiliation, you should sign up with Experticity (formerly ProMotive). I purchased my OzTent and sleep system though them and I'm glad I did. Nemo, Kelty, Big Agnes and a lot of other brands are on there as well if you're looking for outdoors stuff.
GOVX is another good option. Free to sign up for military or first responders.

Reactions: RickLB and SeguineJ

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Been looking these over. A very cool design. What do you like about your tent?

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
who are you asking, me or F4T XJ?

I love that I can have it out of its bag and erected within 5 minutes. there is only 1 pole to worry about. if that were to break I can utilise a suitable branch of a tree of the same length. it's a good heavy duty material that's going to far outlive me.

Reactions: Drifterman

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

who are you asking, me or F4T XJ?

I love that I can have it out of its bag and erected within 5 minutes. there is only 1 pole to worry about. if that were to break I can utilise a suitable branch of a tree of the same length. it's a good heavy duty material that's going to far outlive me.
looks like a great tent. Apparently you can even have a a firebox in the middle and Let the Smoke vent out through the top. I also like the idea of sitting on the outside edges facing the center. I can't a lot in the desert and have to sleep through an occasional sandstorm. Never used a tent without a floor and wondering how it holds up to dust intrusion.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

looks like a great tent. Apparently you can even have a a firebox in the middle and Let the Smoke vent out through the top. I also like the idea of sitting on the outside edges facing the center. I can't a lot in the desert and have to sleep through an occasional sandstorm. Never used a tent without a floor and wondering how it holds up to dust intrusion.

You can have a firebox. I think it's called a Hekla box. Picture below.2017-03-01-15-38-13-179314651.jpg

Alternatively you can opt for the full stove with chimney. There is a designated pocket for the chimney to pass through the roof of the tipi. Picture belowimages.jpg

I'm currently saving for the stove. It's called an Eldfell Stove just in case you wanted to Google it

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

You can have a firebox. I think it's called a Hekla box. Picture below.View attachment 17854

Alternatively you can opt for the full stove with chimney. There is a designated pocket for the chimney to pass through the roof of the tipi. Picture belowView attachment 17855

I'm currently saving for the stove. It's called an Eldfell Stove just in case you wanted to Google it
Does the tent seal well with a removable floor?

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Does the tent seal well with a removable floor?

As you can see from the picture below the optional floor can be used in a variety of configurations. A. Completely zpiped up for general use. B. An open centre for perhaps using the Hekla box. C. A v configuration to open the floor area inside the doorway to allow the removal of wet footwear without ruining the floor. I have the optional porch which does not have a floor. This does mean that I will be able to remove any footwear before entering the tipi. Additionally I will be able to store various bits of kit in the porch thus allowing more room in the tipi.

Studio_20170312_185850.png

Last edited:

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The canvascamp tent is about 1k to $500, based on size. The one pictured and the one I have is 16ft diameter and 9 ft tall. Pretty roomy. The stove for it can run from $200 to $400.

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I am talking about another tent, not the Tipitent. The canvas tent comes with a very good bathroom style PCV floor. Very think. Also, good zippers and netting for misquotes etc. The ProTech model is the one I have. Heavy, but a lot less than any RTT.