If you had to start over, what different rig would you start with?

• HTML tutorial

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN
I went from a 2012 ram 1500 to a 2007 ram power wagon. Believe me, it is an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have to ask because I'm also considering swapping to a Power Wagon, how bad is the mpg?

My 12 ecoboost is 13mpg (I'm a very spirited driver, lol) and I'm looking to either swap to a 14 ecoboost or a power wagon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN
Remember, meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder...
1. Who is more inhumane? Us who kill and eat our food. Or vegetarians, who's food is still alive while they eat it?

2. When a animal dies, it cries out its displeasure before it passes. Vegetables can't voice their opinion about not wanting to be eaten.

And 3.
Stop eating my foods food. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Current: 2012 Ford F150 Fx4. I love this truck. Its just a bit too big for some of the riding we wish to do.

Next/Dream: Tacoma or 4Runner, Dream is a Land Cruiser.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Current rig is a 2009 H3 Alpha and it has taken me wherever I have wanted to go so it would be hard to replace.

Ferry.jpg

I prefer to be in something different, don't want to be in the same thing as everyone else of the trails that do so that makes it a bit more difficult to choose. Might consider keeping it in the family with an H3T. Part of what I love and hate about the H3s is the extremely limited aftermarket. Most so much has to be custom but at the same time that makes them different. Would also consider maybe going with a Land Cruiser.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Currently have a 2014 F150 FX4 with rear E-locker. If I were to do it again I probably would have shopped around for a used Ram 2500/3500 diesel 4x4.

I would need at least a 6.5 foot bed but an 8 footer would be preferable. I would get an aluminum shell for it and use that as my sleeping quarters and have fold outs for storage. Additional storage would be taken care of via top mounted cargo racks. Then i wouldnt need a trailer. This is not a small trail vehicle, this would be a cross-country king. Built for comfort on the road but also capable of going off the beaten path.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murphy Slaw

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The grass allways looks greener ! I think we all look at other peoples rigs and think mmmm , but Half the fun is adapting and building your own rig to suit your plans we have the luxury of being able to buy off the shelf almost every off road gadjet there is And make the rest fit , thats why i like this site there are so many differant makes of truck and Suv With differing set ups Keep them coming BnT

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkW

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Current rig is a 2009 H3 Alpha and it has taken me wherever I have wanted to go so it would be hard to replace.

View attachment 18709

I prefer to be in something different, don't want to be in the same thing as everyone else of the trails that do so that makes it a bit more difficult to choose. Might consider keeping it in the family with an H3T. Part of what I love and hate about the H3s is the extremely limited aftermarket. Most so much has to be custom but at the same time that makes them different. Would also consider maybe going with a Land Cruiser.
that picture cunjurs up so many thoughts

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Current and first Rig is my 2013 FJ Cruiser. FB_IMG_1480457413727.jpg
I'm the only one in my family that enjoys hitting the trails and finding fun places to camp. My only beef is the amount of space, I could use a little more depending on what the trip is.

If I had to start over, I would look at the current 4Runners for the interior room and off road capability.
If money was no object, then it would be and FJ45 or a new Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElDusto

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

View attachment 18709

I feel the same way!!! Rare indeed, especially Alpha models with front and rear lockers.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I feel the same way!!! Rare indeed, especially Alpha models with front and rear lockers.
Yeah, I originally had an '06 then when it look like Hummer was done in early '09 I traded it for the Alpha. Love the power let alone the lockers. Had the adventure package on the '06 as well but the addition of the front locker is a big plus. If I had only know I would have waited a year to get the last of them but at the time production had been shut down so it didn't look good. There were only two Alphas with adventure package in the entire southeast. The one I ended up getting was built for Hummer corporate for the Miami auto show and I got it after the show.

Reactions: VDawg1115

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Yeah, I originally had an '06 then when it look like Hummer was done in early '09 I traded it for the Alpha. Love the power let alone the lockers. Had the adventure package on the '06 as well but the addition of the front locker is a big plus. If I had only know I would have waited a year to get the last of them but at the time production had been shut down so it didn't look good. There were only two Alphas with adventure package in the entire southeast. The one I ended up getting was built for Hummer corporate for the Miami auto show and I got it after the show.
Yeah. I flew to Arizona from the SF Bay Area to pick mine up and drove back. Was looking specifically for the Adventure Package. Lots of H3s without lockers being sold around me. Have to search hard for one with a rear locker let alone two

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Not a whole lot of adventure package equipped H3s from '09/'10 to choose from to get both lockers. Through in wanting and Alpha and the list gets cut by 80% unfortunately. You have some great wheeling up there. Have flown out for a few times for business then stayed and wheeled with friends.

SC4runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

St. Matthews, SC
Member #

Currently in the 4th gen 4Runner. Being realistic, when I start over I would like to go the the 5th gen for the increased interior space (especially the head room). If I had my 'druthers (and a the bank account to match) I would love a diesel Hilux. Something about the 'Yota off-road capability mixed with the torque of a diesel gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling...

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

Not a whole lot of adventure package equipped H3s from '09/'10 to choose from to get both lockers. Through in wanting and Alpha and the list gets cut by 80% unfortunately. You have some great wheeling up there. Have flown out for a few times for business then stayed and wheeled with friends.
Given what's available now, my choice for a NEW vehicle would be a Colorado ZR2 with the baby Duramax

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

If you can choose any vehicle for over landing to start over.
I would probably go with something like this one and sit in luxury as I explore the country.
A Mercedes G-wagon on portal axles (have to have the extra ground clearance) and fully outfitted :sunglasses:

But I am sure this cost more than everything I own.

Can i change my answer!?