If you had to start over, what different rig would you start with?

• HTML tutorial

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The wife's Patriot will probably be a Grand Cherokee next time, and my Ram 1500 is about to be upgraded, but it'll probably be another Ram.

Decisions are hard !

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I already own my "perfect" overland rig. 1981 Jeep Scrambler. I love it, but if money was no object I would update the suspension to coil overs and throw in a 4bt Cummins, along a very long list of wish list parts that will some day make it on the rig!

That being said I would also like this...
Just curious, any reason you wouldn't consider the 2.8L Cummins in favor of the 4BT?

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Current rig: 2006 Nissan XTerra Off Road.

If it was crushed by a cement truck tomorrow and I had to start over:

With a windfall of "hush money" from the trucking company because the driver was drunk on meth: FJ100 Land Cruiser or an FJ80 diesel import
With a standard payout: Another Nissan XTerra Off Road or Pro-4X; possibly a Nissan Frontier crew cab.

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Current rig: 2006 Nissan XTerra Off Road.

If it was crushed by a cement truck tomorrow and I had to start over:

With a standard payout: Another Nissan XTerra Off Road or Pro-4X; possibly a Nissan Frontier crew cab.
Sounds like the Nissan has served you well.

I love it when people own older rigs and continue to speak highly of them. It's a good sign.....

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

The Nissan has been a wonderful rig, honestly I think they are underrated. The VQ motor has been a solid performer, the size is a perfect mix of stability and maneuverability, and it has taken more abuse than any vehicle I've owned and replied with "Than you, sir, may I have another."

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm basically starting again now. I had a 1998 Cherokee SE two door, I6, 5 speed, swapped to a NP242 with a SYE and CV rear shaft. Regeared 3.55 with a factory set of gears, 3.5" Teraflex TJ coils, OME HD leaf packs with Rubicon Express extended shackles on 31x10.5 Grabber AT2s. I loved my Jeep, but sold it when my family outgrew it and bought my crew cab truck.

So, when I decided I wanted another small SUV to knock around in, I looked at the old Cherokee 4 doors because I know them so well. For the price of them though, I bought my 2007 Xterra S with lower miles and a new, warrantied transmission. It's a full frame vehicle, with IFS (I loved my Cherokee but the steep control arm angle beat you to death with the solid front). That covered some issues I had with my Cherokee for DD use as well as mild off-roading. Plus it has a solid rear axle, and is decently supported in the after market.

So far I'm happy, I enjoy driving it quite well and have been pleased with the fuel mileage and everyone has plenty of room (5 of us + dog). I'm easing into mods as the money is avaliable, working on mostly maintenance items now.

I wish I could have built my truck more for overland type use but it has to stay mostly truck to drag my K5 around and be used around the house.

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

IMG_9152.JPG Current rig is a 2010 Hummer H3 Alpha. It's a billy goat, front and rear lockers from factory with a 4:1 transfer case and 5.3 V8. If I had to choose a new vehicle now I am VERY interested in the new Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a baby duramax diesel. Front and rear lockers from factory and great gas mileage.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

This keeps showing up in my hometown. I finally pulled up for a closer look, and afterwards, I started to think about going on a trip in it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know Michael says "It doesn't matter what you drive," but for me at least, I'd have to draw the line here!

Reactions: ElDusto