If you had to start over, what different rig would you start with?

• HTML tutorial

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I have to ask because I'm also considering swapping to a Power Wagon, how bad is the mpg?

My 12 ecoboost is 13mpg (I'm a very spirited driver, lol) and I'm looking to either swap to a 14 ecoboost or a power wagon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
Very spirited driving will get single digits in a wagon. I drive like an old man and have seen as high as 15 in mine. Normally around 11-12 combined for me, 8 towing and wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I've got an '08 Rubicon with Shrockworks front and back, and Rockhard on the sides. Garvin roof rack, a warren powerplant winch, 2 jerry cans, and a HiLift. I'm switching to a 99 Ram 2500 crew cab -- but not because I really want to. If I win the lottery? .... I've been stuck for twenty minutes. Too many choices, all of them good. A Ford Raptor? A Sportsmobile? Build a Toyota Tacoma? A 6x6 G-Wagon? I don't know. I've been thinking about the big truck for a while now, I think I might just see where that goes -- It's been a long time since I did an engine swap. Everything is a tradeoff.

NW4XForester

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Federal Way WA
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Bayer
Member #

I've got a 2013 Subaru Forester and it's been a great vehicle so far with the upgrades I've done to it.
If I had to start over I'd probably go with a Toyota 4Runner or a LR 110. I think both would be a fun build and capable rig.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

Currently in a 5th Gen 4Runner - love it, but I would also love a 100 series LC/LX!

Everytime I see them, I always stare and gawk. Love them, so capable yet understated.

Reactions: TXpedition

Contributor I

Been thinking about this a bit lately, currently have the manual Turbo Diesel 80 series Cruiser, been thinking about going back to a petrol (gas) engine and go with an auto FZJ105 Cruiser or GU Patrol, yank the original motor out and replace it with a Chev LS2 or LS3.

Always wanted a Defender 90 or the dual cab 110 but they're a bit thin on the ground down here compared to the Cruisers and Patrols.

Reactions: zachtyler

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I absolutely love my Tacoma, but knowing what I know now and how I use my rig, I think I would go for a 4Runner of the same year (15). Better interior space, I wouldn't need a topper on the back, a more up-to-date engine, and it would probably ride better.

Although if something ever happened to the Tacoma, I'd probably buy a much older 4Runner so I could go back to daily driving something more sporty and car like.