If you had to start over, what different rig would you start with?

• HTML tutorial
Tell us your current rig first. Then, if you HAD to start over, what vehicle would you choose for your next build? The only rule is it can't be the same rig. It can, however be from the same manufacturer. For example, a Land Cruiser owner could say they wanted to build a Tacoma. So, if you had to choose a different rig, what would be your second choice behind your current setup? I thought this would be fun to think about and see what everybody else says.

I currently have a 1989 Cherokee. I think if I had to start over, I would most likely build a Land Cruiser or Land Rover! However, in recent days I have thought about JKs quite a bit. But, still lean towards the Cruiser or Rover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I would have searched harder for an FJ45 pickup LandCruiser. I am actually actively trying to sell my current FJ40(due to a youngling on the way) and bide my time looking for the "right" FJ45.

I am editing this so as to describe the current vehicle. I have a 2015 Tacoma TRD Pro. It is great for all that I want it to do. But it serves as my work truck as well. I had plans to make my FJ40 a reliable outback exploration vehicle. Now that a youngling will join us soon, I feel I need to focus on emptying my plate a bit. The Tacoma is more than capable of doing both tasks. Thats the way it will stay until I find an FJ45 worthy of my attention.

I am sorry moditus addict and I am sure I can never leave anything alone. Hence why the truck will continue to see improvements. Its a balancing act to keep it off-road capable as well as work truck capable. I just recently gave up on trying to keep it parking garage friendly in The City...

Last edited:

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Current ride. ISUZU DOUBLE CAB , UTAH 2.5 diesel
Past rides , 110 , 90, td5 , defenders 3 LR DISCO 3s commercials ( no seats in back )
Toyota hilux, 3 nissan navaras , 2 isuzus including current
Next
Landrover 110 or landcruiser 79 series double cab ute

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I just bought my new 4Runner last May, so nothing has really changed. But since the thread rule is that I can't pick the same vehicle, I guess it would be what I really wanted this time around, but couldn't justify: a very lightly used 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser, preferably a 2015. The 2016 has the mandatory rear entertainment system in the front seats' headrests. When you tumble the rear seats forward, the hard back of the rear seats crashes into the screens of the entertainment system. Piss poor engineering!

What prevented us from going this route last May, was that 2013 and newer Land Cruisers with 50,000 miles and more were selling for $15-20,000 more than our brand new 2016 4Runner Trail Premium...

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I just bought my new 4Runner last May, so nothing has really changed. But since the thread rule is that I can't pick the same vehicle, I guess it would be what I really wanted this time around, but couldn't justify: a very lightly used 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser, preferably a 2015. The 2016 has the mandatory rear entertainment system in the front seats' headrests. When you tumble the rear seats forward, the hard back of the rear seats crashes into the screens of the entertainment system. Piss poor engineering!

What prevented us from going this route last May, was that 2013 and newer Land Cruisers with 50,000 miles and more were selling for $15-20,000 more than our brand new 2016 4Runner Trail Premium...
. Landcruser 80 series still fetch good money over the pond even with big milage My cuz has been offerd crazy money for his 97 LC and get offers every time he goes to the 4x4 garage Mind you LR ARE Feching silly money too .

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Tell us your current rig first. Then, if you HAD to start over, what vehicle would you choose for your next build? The only rule is it can't be the same rig. It can, however be from the same manufacturer. For example, a Land Cruiser owner could say they wanted to build a Tacoma. So, if you had to choose a different rig, what would be your second choice behind your current setup? I thought this would be fun to think about and see what everybody else says.

I currently have a 1989 Cherokee. I think if I had to start over, I would most likely build a Land Cruiser or Land Rover! However, in recent days I have thought about JKs quite a bit. But, still lean towards the Cruiser or Rover.
I currently run a Land Rover Defender 90 TD5 and love it only down side is space so next time Land Rover Defender 110 camper or Land Rover Defender 130 with camper back.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I currently run a Land Rover Defender 90 TD5 and love it only down side is space so next time Land Rover Defender 110 camper or Land Rover Defender 130 with camper back.
Been looking at camper backs for 110's some cracking stuff availible but looking at alucab RTT 3rd gen for my current

Reactions: zachtyler

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Yes some nice stuff out there. I follow a couple called Lizzybus travelling around the world and after Africa and Americas they upgraded their 300tdi 110 with camper back and alu cab roof.very nice indeed but not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: zachtyler

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Yes some nice stuff out there. I follow a couple called Lizzybus travelling around the world and after Africa and Americas they upgraded their 300tdi 110 with camper back and alu cab roof.very nice indeed but not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Problem is getting it in the uk. Nene overland stock alucab gear but not the gen 3 as yet

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I have a Tacoma currently and love it. If I had to start over and could afford it a Landcruiser 70 series would be a fun build.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
1984 Ford Brinco II, lifted 2 inches with 32" BFG tires which was a few vehicles ago was my first ADV vehicle. Before that had a 1973 Dodge Van I used to race MC's in the desert, it went all over out there in places it should never have gotten in. I hope to purchase a Subaru Outback this weekend and plan a Anderson 2" lift with Yokohama Geolander Tires, and full skid plates. Going to keep it simple.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Well I had work done on my Defender by Neneoverland about 8 years ago. Would not go back if I'm honest.
Hopefully someone else will start doing them
Would only buy the rtt would not let them fit it , i am thinking to getting. n&j alluimium of clithero to. Make the carcass they do a similar one

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I have a 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon. If I had to do it again, I would have simply change it from a TJ to an LJ, everything else exactly the same (color, transmission, trim, etc.).

So why? I love the TJ/LJ styling, perfect combination of old Jeep/new Jeep tech IMO, huge aftermarket support, the 4.0 is legendary, replacement parts are easy to come by, stupid easy to work on, and the LJ offers decent cargo space (especially compared to a TJ) while retaining the perfect size to fit down just about any trail. I would build it exactly the same as my current TJ. Not to mention Genright offers a 31.5 gallon "Safari Tank" for LJs that would greatly increase fuel range

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app