If you had to start over, what different rig would you start with?

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I really like the taco but they wont sell them in the uk.
Can you get the Hilux? I have always wanted to see one and compare to the Tacoma. I've read comparisons but need hands on. I love mine. Owned it 2 years and very impressed.

xjbmx

Rank 0

Contributor I

Current Adventure rig is a '97 Cherokee with a '92 Cherokee being built for more extreme adventures.

If I had start over with something differentt it would be a '70s-'80s Wagoneer. The extra room would be so nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: zachtyler

3ilnouri

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kuwait
Member #

Now it's a Nissan GU Y61 series 6, if I had a choice back then it would be a stick Toyota LC 200 with the D4D 4.5L diesel V8, didn't pull the trigger due to no rear A/C for the kids.

But in reality I'm looking for a Chevy stick 2500hd single cab with the 8.1L

Sent from my E6833 using OB Talk mobile app

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I've had my Jeep for a very long time so the things that I would change to "start over" didn't exist when I got my Jeep. As a result, I have no regrets. That being said, the extra cargo space of the JKs would be great...

Montanarally

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Flathead Valley, Montana, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Browning
Member #

I just bought my new 4Runner last May, so nothing has really changed. But since the thread rule is that I can't pick the same vehicle, I guess it would be what I really wanted this time around, but couldn't justify: a very lightly used 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser, preferably a 2015. The 2016 has the mandatory rear entertainment system in the front seats' headrests. When you tumble the rear seats forward, the hard back of the rear seats crashes into the screens of the entertainment system. Piss poor engineering!

What prevented us from going this route last May, was that 2013 and newer Land Cruisers with 50,000 miles and more were selling for $15-20,000 more than our brand new 2016 4Runner Trail Premium...
The rear monitors can be pulled but leaves a really ugly gap. That's why I went with a 14. The 4 runners are badass!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AndyH

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Warriewood NSW, Australia
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Hempsall
Member #

Just started over with the Range Rover Sport.
Will take my time with this one though and plan each step properly and testing each upgrade before moving on to the next. Having said that the list of bits waiting to go on is getting longer:
Hella Lightbars on the roof rack
LED driving lights
Compressor guard (when it gets here)
RAI (in transit)
New tyres soon

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm currently in a 2002 Trooper. If I had to do it again, with the same budget? Cherokee Sport (with I6 not that v6 junk the switched to). If money wasn't an issue, I would probably go with a Land Cruiser.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Just started over with the Range Rover Sport.
Will take my time with this one though and plan each step properly and testing each upgrade before moving on to the next. Having said that the list of bits waiting to go on is getting longer:
Hella Lightbars on the roof rack
LED driving lights
Compressor guard (when it gets here)
RAI (in transit)
New tyres soon
L494 or L320? I'm guessing first gen, based on your parts list, but there are more bits for the L494 now... post a pic of your RRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Can you get the Hilux? I have always wanted to see one and compare to the Tacoma. I've read comparisons but need hands on. I love mine. Owned it 2 years and very impressed.
yeh and ive owned one they pale into comprison too your taco's and tundras But suit our narrow road systems a suppose

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Current ride. ISUZU DOUBLE CAB , UTAH 2.5 diesel
Past rides , 110 , 90, td5 , defenders 3 LR DISCO 3s commercials ( no seats in back )
Toyota hilux, 3 nissan navaras , 2 isuzus including current
Next
Landrover 110 or landcruiser 79 series double cab ute
as above.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
If I had to start over I wouldn't have owned over 80 vehicles. There are only about 10 I should have kept. I really wanted a power wagon when they came out in 05, but never had the money. But between 05 and 2016 when I bought my 07 power wagon, I spent enough money on crappy rigs to buy 3 new power wagons. I am a slow learner...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

My current rig is a 100% stock 2005 Hyundai Tucson and it's my first awd vehicle.

I plan on taking my time and completing my objectives the right way the first time around.

I don't plan on building a massivly complicated rig for 2 reasons:

A) It needs to be reliable enough to take me on whatever roadtrips I want to go on.
B) It's seriously underpowered (3500 lbs and 112 hp/180 lb-ft) so weight will have to be kept to a minimum at all times.

This is it. (I'm getting it on tuesday)

Reactions: Attom