I AM JAKE'S | Jade | Interior Rebuild | 94 YJ

• HTML tutorial

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Jade is a 94 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a CJ front clip and tailgate. I live in her fulltime. In March of 2016, I began a 50 State Road Trip documenting almost every aspect of the adventure! You can see my vlogs here - http://bit.ly/2hS8U5J Presently, I utilize a cot to sleep on which necessitated the removal of the passenger seat. I need to find a better sleeping arrangement and storage solution as space is really at a premium! This will be Jade's 4th transformation since I purchased her in October of 2012!

The scope of this interior build will be to:

1) Add back and install a passenger seat
2) Design and build a 2 piece bed/sleeping platform that can accommodate the 2 seats
3) Design and Install a 2 drawer storage system beneath the sleeping platform
4) Install a 12V fridge/freezer
5) Design and Install an interior LED lighting system

Now on to the build!

Here is Jade sitting at the house of Travis & Spencer of @jeepfreeks who will be helping me design and build Jade's new interior!
Jade's at Jeepfreeks - 11-16-2017.jpg
I first had to completely empty Jade's interior then install the new Bestop passenger seat - http://amzn.to/2zC6nkn - first time having a passenger seat since March 2016!
Jade's new passenger seat - 11-16-2017.jpg
I then needed to install the 12V fridge/freezer which is on a sliding platform to determine the height of the sleeping platform - I have the Black Forest 31 quart overlanding off-road vehicle fridge - http://amzn.to/2hHf050 - Then using 1" galvanized steel electrical conduit, we began forming the rear piece bed frame for the sleeping platform - here are 2 pics of the 12V fridge and back half bed frame.
Jade's new bed platform frame (1).jpg
Jade's new bed platform frame.jpg
Moving on, we fabricated the front half of the sleeping platform. Here you can see the final bed frame fitting which measures 72x46 - almost the size of a double bed! How the bed operates - the driver's seat reclines back, the passenger seat tilts forward, the front section bed frame will slide forward and connect to the rear section to set up the bed - and it's FAST! Then to break down the bed, I separate the front section from the back, and it slides back and under the rear frame for storage when not in use.
Jade's new bed platform frame 72x46.jpg
She's coming along nicely! More updates and progress pics to come!

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Here is a pic of the rear section of the bed frame (the front will be almost identical). You can see we used a 1/4" steel rod has been welded to the sides to prevent any sagging. Nylon webbing with straps will be attached between the welding points on the steel rod. The Nylon webbing will be what you lay on, similar to a cots frame so the bed is lightweight. Will be buying a new large sleeping bag, pillows, and cases!
Bed platform showing rebar on each side.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Doss and Jimmy P

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Here are some add'l bed frame pics. 1st pic is of the completed rear section of the bed platform. 2nd pic is of the front section getting ready to weld on the 1/4" steel rod and 3rd pic shows the connecting piece holding both front/back bed frame together!Completed rear section of bed frame.jpg Front bed frame.jpg Bed frame fitting which secures front to bavck.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Last edited:

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Great updates! Thanks for sharing. I was trying to figure out how you were going to come up with a sleeping system while adding a passenger seat. Very innovative! When you shared the bed frame picture on your twitter account, my brain still couldn't wrap around how the set up was going to work.

Adding a fridge too? That's awesome! Keep it up, Jake- your content is great and always getting better.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Great updates! Thanks for sharing. I was trying to figure out how you were going to come up with a sleeping system while adding a passenger seat. Very innovative! When you shared the bed frame picture on your twitter account, my brain still couldn't wrap around how the set up was going to work.

Adding a fridge too? That's awesome! Keep it up, Jake- your content is great and always getting better.
Hi Jes and thank you! Glad you're enjoying the build thread! Thanks for following my journey!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Here is the dual set of Black Forest cargo slides that make loading and unloading easy and hassle-free - http://amzn.to/2zpCDKP - and are made especially for Wranglers! The slide mounts are sturdy and are designed to extend effortlessly, with 2 predetermined locking positions that offer added stability when handling gear. The left slide is for the 2 storage drawers I'm building and the right one is for my 12V fridge/freezer.
Sliding platforms for drawers and 12V fridge.jpg

Last edited: