Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Marietta Georgia
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kidd
I am planning on going up this Saturday 05.26.18, and I anticipate arriving at the trail off of I-40 around noon. I will be coming from Georgia and would love to meet up with some new people and check this trail out. Let me know if anyone is planning on going.

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

On Saturday 5/26/2018, the road had a few very large ruts that made it impassable (without assistance) for a vehicle with stock lift. Due to consistent, heavy rain over the last few weeks, I think those spots have become much worse than some of the earlier reviews indicated. There was a big rutted spot on the way in (maybe about 20 minutes in), and you risk getting stuck there without lift. There was a cluster of 3 trees down before the half way point, and amazingly no one out of about 15-20 vehicles had a saw. We had to back down the road (fortunately for only about ten minutes until we found a very small place to do a three point turn around), but part of the back down was over some pretty rough rocks. That part made you really need a spotter (because of the sight angle while in reverse), or your axel would get stuck on the rocks (see picture attached). Since we only made it about half way up (due to the downed trees), I can't comment on the second half of the trail. On the way back out (remember, this is a one way road, and you aren't supposed to come back out the way you came in), the huge rutted spot was much more difficult because it was uphill in this direction. My truck could not make over going this way, and a winch was required (winch was attached to a CJ). The winch alone would not pull it, and the CJ had to tug, while I floored it, to get over this rut.

If you want to enjoy the trip and not worry the whole time, take something that has a significant lift. Take some kind of saw, or ideally take a good hand saw and a chainsaw. I have learned a lesson and I will always carry some kind of saw after this adventure. If there is a big tree down, you might have to turn around anyway, and remember that the trail is more difficult going the opposite direction because the huge rutted areas will be uphill going back out. Therefore, there is a real chance that you could get in a position where you can't go in or out, and are truly stuck. I wouldn't do this trail alone (but I also wouldn't find it fun to go in a huge group). A party of 2-3 vehicles would be ideal. Ideally, at least one person needs a winch.

Overall, I would leave this trail for the true off road capable vehicles. I pushed my truck to its limit (and used 4x4 low gear most of the way), and the lesson I learned is that it is more fun to not be pushing your vehicle to its limit the whole way up the trail. If you saw the videos on youtube of the crosstrek or other stock vehicles running this trail, I would suggest that the conditions have changed since then and that those vehicles would not be able to make it up this trail in its current state. I'm writing this review so that the next person with a stock vehicle won't get in the same position I was in.

As a side point, my clutch completely failed 2 days later while at Elkmont campground. I had to get family to rent a uhaul car hauler to get me back home over the mountain. I was not even upset, because it did not happen on this trail. That's just something to think about, for those of you who aren't driving new vehicles.

Attachments

Reactions: Mean Green

Mean Green

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Columbus, North Carolina
Member #

On Saturday 5/26/2018, the road had a few very large ruts that made it impassable (without assistance) for a vehicle with stock lift. Due to consistent, heavy rain over the last few weeks, I think those spots have become much worse than some of the earlier reviews indicated. There was a big rutted spot on the way in (maybe about 20 minutes in), and you risk getting stuck there without lift. There was a cluster of 3 trees down before the half way point, and amazingly no one out of about 15-20 vehicles had a saw. We had to back down the road (fortunately for only about ten minutes until we found a very small place to do a three point turn around), but part of the back down was over some pretty rough rocks. That part made you really need a spotter (because of the sight angle while in reverse), or your axel would get stuck on the rocks (see picture attached). Since we only made it about half way up (due to the downed trees), I can't comment on the second half of the trail. On the way back out (remember, this is a one way road, and you aren't supposed to come back out the way you came in), the huge rutted spot was much more difficult because it was uphill in this direction. My truck could not make over going this way, and a winch was required (winch was attached to a CJ). The winch alone would not pull it, and the CJ had to tug, while I floored it, to get over this rut.

If you want to enjoy the trip and not worry the whole time, take something that has a significant lift. Take some kind of saw, or ideally take a good hand saw and a chainsaw. I have learned a lesson and I will always carry some kind of saw after this adventure. If there is a big tree down, you might have to turn around anyway, and remember that the trail is more difficult going the opposite direction because the huge rutted areas will be uphill going back out. Therefore, there is a real chance that you could get in a position where you can't go in or out, and are truly stuck. I wouldn't do this trail alone (but I also wouldn't find it fun to go in a huge group). A party of 2-3 vehicles would be ideal. Ideally, at least one person needs a winch.

Overall, I would leave this trail for the true off road capable vehicles. I pushed my truck to its limit (and used 4x4 low gear most of the way), and the lesson I learned is that it is more fun to not be pushing your vehicle to its limit the whole way up the trail. If you saw the videos on youtube of the crosstrek or other stock vehicles running this trail, I would suggest that the conditions have changed since then and that those vehicles would not be able to make it up this trail in its current state. I'm writing this review so that the next person with a stock vehicle won't get in the same position I was in.

As a side point, my clutch completely failed 2 days later while at Elkmont campground. I had to get family to rent a uhaul car hauler to get me back home over the mountain. I was not even upset, because it did not happen on this trail. That's just something to think about, for those of you who aren't driving new vehicles.
Oh man! I went a few months back in my stock KK and had a pretty difficult time. We made it all the way through but I couldn't imagine being able to do it now with all the wash outs!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using OB Talk mobile app

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

Jonamatt/Mean Grean
What are you guys driving? What size tires/lift?

I have a stock 2018 Tacoma, do you think I can make it or should I wait for the lift and 265/70/17 BFG KO2s?

jeffw

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

raleigh
Member #

Jonamatt/Mean Grean

I have a stock 2018 Tacoma, do you think I can make it or should I wait for the lift and 265/70/17 BFG KO2s?
the trail difficulty varies with the rain - some of the creek crossings probably could be dicey with the flooding lately. just don't go solo and air down. some of the creek crossings can be pretty deep depending on the line you take.

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

Jonamatt/Mean Grean

I had 1993 Toyota pickup 4wd, normal size moderately off-road capable tires. I measured diameter with tape measure and got 28 inches. The lift was stock. I have off road shocks. When I measure from the ground to the body under driver door, I get 20 inches. There is a picture of the truck in my last post.

It's way worse if you have to turn around because of a down tree. Make sure someone has a chain saw, and a winch. I personally wouldn't risk it without those two things again. The first creek crossing had a pretty good amount of water but it was passable even in my stock lift. The problem is the huge ruts with mud. Some of that depends on recent weather, but when is it NOT raining around here?

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

Jonamatt/Mean Grean

I forgot to answer the actual question. I would wait for the lift and the tires. I think you will have more fun with the extra capability those offer.

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

I forgot to answer the actual question. I would wait for the lift and the tires. I think you will have more fun with the extra capability those offer.
Thanks for the update! That answered my question. I'm looking into the wheels now and once I get those, I'll go ahead and get the tires shortly thereafter and most likely just finish it with the Bilsteins.

I hear you about the rain, I live in Central Florida so we are the same way this time of year. The entire summer forecast is "The high today will be the surface of the sun with a 60% chance of day ruining afternoon thunderstorms" :)

I will definitely have some sort of chainsaw or way to remove trees across the trail. Sometimes we get lucky and can pull it out of the way, but that doesn't always work depending on the size.

Thanks again for your replies, that really helps!

Joe

Pug Loaf

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks for the update! That answered my question. I'm looking into the wheels now and once I get those, I'll go ahead and get the tires shortly thereafter and most likely just finish it with the Bilsteins.

I hear you about the rain, I live in Central Florida so we are the same way this time of year. The entire summer forecast is "The high today will be the surface of the sun with a 60% chance of day ruining afternoon thunderstorms" :)

I will definitely have some sort of chainsaw or way to remove trees across the trail. Sometimes we get lucky and can pull it out of the way, but that doesn't always work depending on the size.

Thanks again for your replies, that really helps!

Joe
Glad that helps! One more thought: When we were there, the guy in front of us (a Marine, who appeared to have experience with this type stuff), had unsuccessfully tried to winch a small tree off the trail for two hours. The problem is the trees, even relatively small ones, are so wet they are like rubber and just bend. Even a small hand saw would have worked better. At the very least take a hand saw to go with the winch. It would be well worth it.

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

Glad that helps! One more thought: When we were there, the guy in front of us (a Marine, who appeared to have experience with this type stuff), had unsuccessfully tried to winch a small tree off the trail for two hours. The problem is the trees, even relatively small ones, are so wet they are like rubber and just bend. Even a small hand saw would have worked better. At the very least take a hand saw to go with the winch. It would be well worth it.
I agree, we always have some way to move or cut stuff with us, if I'm out alone, I'll make sure I can get back.

Mark1986

Rank 0

Traveler I

Has anyone been up Hurricane Creek lately? I read that the latest was a month ago. My wife and I are planning on going up it this coming Sunday morning. I'm going with my 1989 Cherokee, stock suspension, but bigger tires. I do have a winch, and will be taking my chain saw, and satellite phone just in case. I know sometimes it is fine for stock rigs, but other times even those with lifts have issues, I'm just trying to gauge what to expect at this point. Thanks for any information or advise.

JoeCool

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ormond Beach, Florida
Member #

Has anyone been up Hurricane Creek lately? I read that the latest was a month ago. My wife and I are planning on going up it this coming Sunday morning. I'm going with my 1989 Cherokee, stock suspension, but bigger tires. I do have a winch, and will be taking my chain saw, and satellite phone just in case. I know sometimes it is fine for stock rigs, but other times even those with lifts have issues, I'm just trying to gauge what to expect at this point. Thanks for any information or advise.
Hi Mark1986, from what I've read, you should be good to go, especially with a winch and chainsaw. Check the weather though, again, from what I've read in this thread, it gets a little hairy when wet.

Good luck and please post back after your trip, I'd like to get up there towards the end of the year.

Joe

Mark1986

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'll get plenty of pictures and give a good summary report. I'm a researcher so I love to write. It would be nice to meet some people to go, I know it's short notice, but it's always nice to go in a group. Does anyone know about the cell phone coverage on the trail? Cell phone is always easiest, but if there is no coverage I would like to know so I can bring appropriate comm gear.

Thanks

Mark

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here is a link to about 25 videos of the complete trail. Did this trip about 1 month ago.

No cell phone service in that area.

Took us about 2 hrs to max patch, but I’m a slow driver.

Reactions: RickLB

Pappy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington NC.
Member #

Mark are you going for the day or camping? We are thinking of going this weekend also just not sure about camping.