Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Hurricane Creek Trail can be done with a stock 4wheel drive but would be better with some added ground clearance and good tire tread. We had a couple stock Jeeps and an Extera with us and with a little help they made it through. We also had a couple full size pickups along. They made it through too, with a little trail rash.

If you’re planning to run a stock 4wheel drive up the trail be prepared for bottoming out occasionally. Our rig is lifted 3” with 33” tires and we dragged on our sliders quite a few times. Another issue is the deep ruts in the clay. If you have stock ground clearance you’ll have to straddle them. This is where a spotter comes in handy to keep you from getting hung up.

Like others have said; if you’re inexperienced with or are unable to do self-recovery or your rig is sitting at stock height, go with someone that has the ability to get you out of trouble.

Another, easier trail in the area you may want to experience is Flat Branch off of FR 288.

We’re in the middle of editing the video of our trip. In it we’ll be showing footage of both these trails. It should be uploaded on our YouTube channel by the end of this week.

Reactions: Dixie

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

I would also not recommend going in 1/2 way and then trying to come back out. It seems most people come in off I40, when we were coming in, someone had got to the 1st water crossing and turned around and he met us and about 10 other vehicles from the SMO head on and he had to back up a long way back up the trail to a suitable area to turn off. He was not happy about it and there is not room for a long line of cars to back out onto I40.

Reactions: DocTorres112

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

A3F5A8F4-FE83-467B-9104-65C9A455D861.jpeg So just to be sure I’m understanding, this section is pretty rough to go alone? The marker is where I was going to camp. We don’t have a lot of time and my kids want to camp tonight, tomorrow.

As it stands now, I’ll be arriving at 1700.

If this is a bad idea, I’d love another suggestion as I’m getting desperate given our timeline.

More than anything, my kids just want to camp.

We are on I-40, just passed Memphis.

-Chris

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

For my skill level, I would not do this trail alone or with a trailer. There is one rut section in the beginning that would be very challenging with a trailer.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Were there spots to camp on FR288?
Chris if you're concerned about getting on hurricane trail and you're coming in on I-40 I'd recommend you camp here:

35.8431, -81.9254

It's a great spot and easy to get to. It's on Old 105, and there's a lower part of the site with a view great views of the lake and short off mountain. With the weather now, you'll have a no hassle camping experience with your kids. Bring water, no close by sources.

There's another site just above that one that's good also. You can pull your trailer into both.

Direct message me and I'll give you my mobile # if you need more info.

Good luck, Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

Linville gorge is beautiful!
That is easy access camping.
Not much for off roading experience, easy road, even for Toyota camery.
Your kids look young and would enjoy linville caverns, very close to this camp site.

I would like to learn more about flat branch fr288. Can’t find anything on internet about it.
Don’t even know where it is. Anyone have any info??

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Old 105 mentioned above has several sites your rig will get in with no problem. From Memphis to the area is about 575 to 600 miles so you need to determine if you have time. Google maps says 10 hours........

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Old 105 mentioned above has several sites your rig will get in with no problem. From Memphis to the area is about 575 to 600 miles so you need to determine if you have time. Google maps says 10 hours........
We are about 6.5 hrs away from Brian’s coordinates. Thanks everyone!!

- Chris

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress...

We did Hurricane back in Feb. After reading about it on the forums, it was more trail than I was expecting. We were 3 vehicles (TJ 4" lift 33's, XJ 4" 33's, and a Tacoma. Don't know the specs but it's big) Except for a dumb mistake I made, none of us had any problems. That being said, I'd read on this forum or another that Outbacks and other AWD vehicles regularly run the trail. I'd like to see that. There were a few places that I was glad I had the bigger tires and extra clearance.

As to my dumb mistake. There's a section that has a deep rut/ditch. I put my front driverside wheel right in the ditch. My TJ has a narrow wheelbase and I did a poor job of straddling the ditch. We could have thrown a set of max tracks under he wheel and probably been fine, but it gave me a chance to blow the dust off my winch and practice. Easy out and no damage.

My take, it's a lot of fun. If you're running stock, better to buddy up with another vehicle.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Chris,
If you guys have time tomorrow, continue north on Old 105 all the way to Hwy 183, turn right and go to Hwy 181. Again turn right and go about 5 miles to a road into Gingercake Acres development. This will take you to Table Rock which is well worth seeing. There is a parking lot at the top with circle drive so you can get through with your trailer and the hike up Table Rock is spectacular. Its one mile from the lot and goes up several hundered feet.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

You'd likely be fine...towing the trailer will be your only hurdle and having another vehicle with you would be smarter. Pending your expereicne driving offroad (tire placement, undercarriage items, and care of pinstriping) it's not a difficult trail.
You would however have a better and safer experience with the family on Old Hwy 105. Some of the camp spots can get busy and holidays and weekends will always be more crowded. Plenty to see and do on foot. I've added a few photos showing both Hurricane Creek and Old 105.
Hurricane is mostly this with the occasional rock patch and one or two rutted areas.

That's a full size Lexus SUV with no lift and street tires in front of me. He went thru just fine only dragging his mudflaps occasionally.

This is a full size Dodge 2500 MegaCab with bed topper going thru Hurricane...no major issues, spotter assisted.

We did clear this large tree that had broken off recently, blocking the path. You're welcome.

Old Hwy 105 looking south.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

You'd likely be fine...towing the trailer will be your only hurdle and having another vehicle with you would be smarter. Pending your expereicne driving offroad (tire placement, undercarriage items, and care of pinstriping) it's not a difficult trail.
You would however have a better and safer experience with the family on Old Hwy 105. Some of the camp spots can get busy and holidays and weekends will always be more crowded. Plenty to see and do on foot. I've added a few photos showing both Hurricane Creek and Old 105.
Hurricane is mostly this with the occasional rock patch and one or two rutted areas.

That's a full size Lexus SUV with no lift and street tires in front of me. He went thru just fine only dragging his mudflaps occasionally.

This is a full size Dodge 2500 MegaCab with bed topper going thru Hurricane...no major issues, spotter assisted.

We did clear this large tree that had broken off recently, blocking the path. You're welcome.

Old Hwy 105 looking south.
I would agree that Hurricane Creek usually looks like your photos depict. After all the rain last week, it was totally different Saturday as noted in the above post. His rig/trailer would have struggled and he was alone.

St8ton

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Salisbury, NC
Member #

These photos were taken Saturday, April 28th, 2018 between 10:30am-3pm. I was in the first group that went thru Hurricane Creek at the SMORally.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I spoke with Chris (@DocTorress112). He got to 105 with his boys and found a campsite. He ran into a little trouble, but sounds like he handled it. I'll let him give the details when he checks back in.