Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

We will be going there this Sunday, then on up to Max Patch for a little hiking.
I might be interested in joining you on Sunday.
Im new to wheel’n and just got a 2017 tacoma off road...all stock.

I have no recovery gear.

Think I can complete the trail with what I have?

Do you mind me tagging along?

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

No sweat.

I’m thinking about heading that way on feb 3rd and camping overnight. Do the trail on the 3rd or 4th.

On another note...
I’m trying to find a list of trails, but can’t find one anywhere. I know of the following;
Richmond rd
Uwharrie
Brown mountain
Outer banks

Do you know any others??

Corey Webb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Webb
Member #

All of this is GREAT Info for a newbie such as myself. Thank YOU Everyone. I think I may plan a trip soon after I get myself some decent recovery gear. and If anyone has the gpx files available that would be great too!

Reactions: TerryD

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

Corey Webb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Atlanta
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Webb
Member #

This is my route through hurricane creek to max patch. I broke it up into two sections because we camped halfway through the trail in a good secluded spot tucked away from the trail.

Entrance from I40 https://www.gaiagps.com/public/2mWY8bWGmqWb8rTvU6Jtwe96

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/EelgdLrLxz0Pe2uGZ7qVBYx3

Campsite waypoint: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/6svFNF7v6DWnqlREmbOWHmIu

Thanks A million... I'll Let you know it works out for me. or maybe we can plan a trip!

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

We just did this trail yesterday, we thought it was insane! Maybe its because we are rookies. I think at some point towards the end, we went right towards wesley creek road instead of left to Max Patch, and from that point, there were several parts that were crazy. I could have swore that the road to Max Patch was gated off when we came to the fork.

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

Interesting.

I was going to do this trail back in the winter with Nateandkate.
He called the trail “chilled”.

I have been at uwharrie lately and am planning a trip to this trail very soon. I almost went this past weekend instead of URE.

Please describe what and how crazy your experience was.

That pic on your profile shows a Tacoma.
I have a stock tacoma off-road and wondering if I can make it.

I’m planning a weekend of trout fishing and camping and hit this trail one day. Maby another trail too. Let me know if your interested and maybe we hook up and do trail together?

Thanks for the post!

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Interesting.

I was going to do this trail back in the winter with Nateandkate.
He called the trail “chilled”.

I have been at uwharrie lately and am planning a trip to this trail very soon. I almost went this past weekend instead of URE.

Please describe what and how crazy your experience was.

That pic on your profile shows a Tacoma.
I have a stock tacoma off-road and wondering if I can make it.

I’m planning a weekend of trout fishing and camping and hit this trail one day. Maby another trail too. Let me know if your interested and maybe we hook up and do trail together?

Thanks for the post!
I did the trail Saturday afternoon with a group from the Smoky Mtn Overland Rally. My Tacoma OR is raised 2", has sliders and slightly larger tires. I drug in numerous spots on my sliders, frame, crossover pipe and trailer hitch. In spite of this I sustained no damage. About half of the group aired down, half not. I chose to just to soften the ride.

The second big creek crossing has 3 options on where to cross and they were described as hard, medium and easy. Our leader did the hard route and made it look easy, the second rig did as well and had what was described by most as a scary entry into the creek with one rear wheel about 3' off the ground. He knew what he was doing and gassed it at just the right time and powered on through. If he had braked, he would have rolled.

One rig sustained damage on the medium crossing by getting too close to a tree. There was at least one stock Jeep who drug in numerous spots and was pretty concerned about damage but I didn't speak to him afterwards. So yes, you can do it in your stock Tacoma OR but it will have it's challenges.

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

I did the trail Saturday afternoon with a group from the Smoky Mtn Overland Rally. My Tacoma OR is raised 2", has sliders and slightly larger tires. I drug in numerous spots on my sliders, frame, crossover pipe and trailer hitch. In spite of this I sustained no damage. About half of the group aired down, half not. I chose to just to soften the ride.

The second big creek crossing has 3 options on where to cross and they were described as hard, medium and easy. Our leader did the hard route and made it look easy, the second rig did as well and had what was described by most as a scary entry into the creek with one rear wheel about 3' off the ground. He knew what he was doing and gassed it at just the right time and powered on through. If he had braked, he would have rolled.

One rig sustained damage on the medium crossing by getting too close to a tree. There was at least one stock Jeep who drug in numerous spots and was pretty concerned about damage but I didn't speak to him afterwards. So yes, you can do it in your stock Tacoma OR but it will have it's challenges.
I agree, I run a stock TRD Pro, although I did change the tires out last week before the trip. I was running with a Stock TRD PRO 4 runner and a Jeep Rubicon, we all scraped at least once or twice and banged our hitches some. I felt we took pretty good lines and still it was challenging. We made a right that took us further up the mountain to Wesley creek road, instead of to max patch, according to the maps, this was not on purpose, it had some very challenging parts, at one point we all were balancing on the LR and RF tires only and had to engage our lockers to get through on a pretty deep rutted swell. Luckily we all made it out with no damage.

A group from the SMO came up behind us on I40 and came on the trail behind us around noon, led by a white Jeep and the red TRD wanderlust Overland rig. We let them through at the cabins, they left us in the dust after the 1st water crossing, it took us 4.5 hours to get through the whole thing. You can make it in an oR , but be very careful on picking good lines and take your time, definitely do not go alone. We definitely thought it would be much easier based on some forums and YT videos, but even the videos we took, don’t do it justice.

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

I agree, I run a stock TRD Pro, although I did change the tires out last week before the trip. I was running with a Stock TRD PRO 4 runner and a Jeep Rubicon, we all scraped at least once or twice and banged our hitches some. I felt we took pretty good lines and still it was challenging. We made a right that took us further up the mountain to Wesley creek road, instead of to max patch, according to the maps, this was not on purpose, it had some very challenging parts, at one point we all were balancing on the LR and RF tires only and had to engage our lockers to get through on a pretty deep rutted swell. Luckily we all made it out with no damage.

A group from the SMO came up behind us on I40 and came on the trail behind us around noon, led by a white Jeep and the red TRD wanderlust Overland rig. We let them through at the cabins, they left us in the dust after the 1st water crossing, it took us 4.5 hours to get through the whole thing. You can make it in an oR , but be very careful on picking good lines and take your time, definitely do not go alone. We definitely thought it would be much easier based on some forums and YT videos, but even the videos we took, don’t do it justice.
I was literally planning on hitting this route tomorrow around 4pm w/ 2 of my kids. We just got our patriot camper and we were going to do the first 1/2, coming from 1-40, and stopping around the 1/2 way mark to camp for the night. Which part gets technical? I have no issue only doing the first 1/2 from 40, camping, then turning around to go home vs heading all the way to max patch.

We will be alone, driving a 2oo series w/ a small lift, and 33in KO2s, otherwise stock.

Thanks,
-Chris

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I was literally planning on hitting this route tomorrow around 4pm w/ 2 of my kids. We just got our patriot camper and we were going to do the first 1/2, coming from 1-40, and stopping around the 1/2 way mark to camp for the night. Which part gets technical? I have no issue only doing the first 1/2 from 40, camping, then turning around to go home vs heading all the way to max patch.

We will be alone, driving a 2oo series w/ a small lift, and 33in KO2s, otherwise stock.

Thanks,
-Chris
I agree with TRAYNC in that the trail was much more difficult than I had been led to believe. Perhaps this is due to my lack of experience but I've done Uwharrie numerous times. If you have lots of wheeling under your belt and if you have a winch and your kids are old enough to help, go for it. Otherwise, I would be very hesitant to try it alone.

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

Doctorres,
Please give an update once you complete the trail.

I’m heading there in a couple of weeks.
Little worried now after the recent posts.

Thanks

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

A little additional clarification on my earlier post, a Series 200 with a little lift and 33" tires will do fine. There will be sections where picking the correct line will be crucial.

Towing a trailer will be a different story in my opinion.