Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

Sammage

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Raleigh NC
Member #

I'm picking up my 1st Jeep tomorrow and heading to the mountains for a few days right afterwards. I was thinking about taking Hurricane Creek as my first trail. Wondered if you got up there last Sunday like you planned and how the trail was? I'll be running it alone with just my wife and don't want to take the chance on it for a 'newbie' run if it's likely to be difficult. The Jeep I'm getting is a Sahara that has a 2.5" lift on it but stock tires. It's not going to handle things as well something with lockers.

Pappy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington NC.
Member #

It was a little muddy in a couple spots with some deep ruts . One of the guys in our group had his 4wd go out and he only needed help one time. But it is always better to have someone with you if you're new to offroading . Have fun and congratulations on the new jeep!

Mark1986

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was the one that got stuck. I have an 89 XJ with the CAD 4x4, and the vacuum line broke, but I made most of it in 2wd low.It was fun, but I will not be taking my stock Cherokee out again, it needs a lift. Pappy was awesome to have out there and was a huge help when I needed it.

Mark

Reactions: Pappy

MHTaylor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I am in Eastern NC and would like to make the trip out to the trail late August, or early September. Spend a day and a half on the trail then go hang out in Asheville for a day afterwards...dont have exact dates, but it would probably be Labor day weekend...anyone interested in going?

TexasTJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

My wife and I are taking our 4Runner and a buddy will be bringing his Tundra to NC in October. We'll be running around and camping in the area for a week. October 24th we are planning on running HC to MP if anyone is interested in joining us that week.

Dyrtybyrd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Randleman, NC
Member #

I am in Eastern NC and would like to make the trip out to the trail late August, or early September. Spend a day and a half on the trail then go hang out in Asheville for a day afterwards...dont have exact dates, but it would probably be Labor day weekend...anyone interested in going?
I am interested in doing the same trip during the Labor Day weekend. It would be my first trip period "Overlanding". Just purchased a 2016 4Runner Trail. It is stock but plan to at least change out the tires. If you are still planning to go we would love to tag along.

MHTaylor

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I am interested in doing the same trip during the Labor Day weekend. It would be my first trip period "Overlanding". Just purchased a 2016 4Runner Trail. It is stock but plan to at least change out the tires. If you are still planning to go we would love to tag along.
Unfortunately, I found out I have to work and will be in Charlotte on Labor day weekend. But I still plan on doing the trip next time I get a long weekend. I'll be sure to see if you're still interested when I find the time.

Reactions: Dyrtybyrd

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
Cool to see this community is active around Hurricane Creek. I'm still building my rig, but the lift is next on the list and am looking at potential spots to break it in.

Reactions: MHTaylor

Dyrtybyrd

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Randleman, NC
Member #

Son and I just finished diff / locker breather kit, Shockworks auxiliary battery kit with air pump relocation. Lift is going to be after front and rear bumper, rock sliders and roof rack.

Think we are going to go hit Yellow Gap and Avery creek next weekend and see what we come across.

David Gibson

Rank 0

Traveler I

I will be staying in Maggie Valley in early October. We are looking for a trail ride that our stock Jeep Sahara can handle. Its my wife's daily driver so there is no way that i can cause any damage to it unless its just bad driving! Does anybody have any suggestions for somewhere we can go for a good ride.

It seems that Hurrican Creek might be a good ride for us, but also reading mixed reviews on difficulty.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I will be staying in Maggie Valley in early October. We are looking for a trail ride that our stock Jeep Sahara can handle. Its my wife's daily driver so there is no way that i can cause any damage to it unless its just bad driving! Does anybody have any suggestions for somewhere we can go for a good ride.

It seems that Hurrican Creek might be a good ride for us, but also reading mixed reviews on difficulty.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you
As always, it is better to hit a trail with another vehicle when possible. I wouldn't worry about running Hurricane stock unless it's after a large rain event. I've done it a few times in my stock JK and didn't have a problem. One part was mildy difficult but no sweat overall.

David Gibson

Rank 0

Traveler I

As always, it is better to hit a trail with another vehicle when possible. I wouldn't worry about running Hurricane stock unless it's after a large rain event. I've done it a few times in my stock JK and didn't have a problem. One part was mildy difficult but no sweat overall.
Thanks for your response on this. Are there any other trails that you would recommend in the area?

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Thanks for your response on this. Are there any other trails that you would recommend in the area?
Nah, not that I know of. The closest to Hurricane in NC is over 2 hrs away and then I thought about the ones in TN I know about but the closest is just shy of 3 1/2hrs.