Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I'm planning a trip through the upper Mid-west this summer (North/South Dakota, then into Wyoming and Colorado). I expect along the highway portions (which honestly will be the majority) that fuel won't be too hard to come by... but when I start adventuring off the highway, how much fuel should I keep available? I figure my main tank (16 gal) will last ~250 miles, give or take.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

16 gal.. wow I thought my LR4's 19 gallon tank was small (it kinda is at 13-16mpg)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I think it all depends on how long you are going to be offroad.. how long before you offroad you find a fuel stop. Hard to say..
16 gal isn't much for a big 4x4 though.. my ride will have 22/23 gals

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm planning a trip through the upper Mid-west this summer (North/South Dakota, then into Wyoming and Colorado). I expect along the highway portions (which honestly will be the majority) that fuel won't be too hard to come by... but when I start adventuring off the highway, how much fuel should I keep available? I figure my main tank (16 gal) will last ~250 miles, give or take.
The tank in your X should actually be 21 gallons, I think. I've got a 2011, and that's what I've got.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

xterra fuel tank is a 21.1 gallons. How much fuel is enough is why you need to map your route out first. I'd rather have fuel than water to be honest.... But I use the sawyer mini for emergency water which should last my whole life time and then some (assuming it filter's the accurate 100k gallons they advertise)
there are routes out there you can google that take into account gas stations and fuel.

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
The tank in your X should actually be 21 gallons, I think. I've got a 2011, and that's what I've got.
Good to know. I put 16 only because that's usually where my light comes on. I've run 18 gallons out of it before. Sounds like taking an extra 5-10 gallons might be a good idea, though...

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

When the tanks are full, I have 50 gal. Just got back from a 450 mile weekend trip that had approx. 100 dirt/slow crawl/winch miles. The 93 land cruiser loaded with 2 grown men and a lot of armor and gear held 40 gal when we returned.
One of my buddies has a 99 land cruiser w/rtt and same fuel arrangement, he burnt around 30 gal.
Another had 25 gal w/94 land cruiser, loaded the same as me, stopped for fuel 3 times. 1 time was more from fear of the unknown than need.
The 4 jeeps of different variety in the group, I really couldn't keep track of, but there was always fuel being poured in a green jeep. (3 of the 4 were green).
I had the least amount of miles due to later arrival, but I think 500 miles would have covered all involved.

For me, if all I had was 16 gal. I would fuel every time I saw a fuel pump, I'm just like that. 5 gal would get You 75 mile, me 55 mile. 10 gal would calm me a little.

Have a great trip/adventure.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Good to know. I put 16 only because that's usually where my light comes on. I've run 18 gallons out of it before. Sounds like taking an extra 5-10 gallons might be a good idea, though...
Both the Frontier and the Xterra's fuel lights come on notoriously early. I normally end up putting 15-16 in my Frontier most fill ups. I've gone a mile or two past the "distance to empty" flashing number.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

When the tanks are full, I have 50 gal. Just got back from a 450 mile weekend trip that had approx. 100 dirt/slow crawl/winch miles. The 93 land cruiser loaded with 2 grown men and a lot of armor and gear held 40 gal when we returned.
One of my buddies has a 99 land cruiser w/rtt and same fuel arrangement, he burnt around 30 gal.
Another had 25 gal w/94 land cruiser, loaded the same as me, stopped for fuel 3 times. 1 time was more from fear of the unknown than need.
The 4 jeeps of different variety in the group, I really couldn't keep track of, but there was always fuel being poured in a green jeep. (3 of the 4 were green).
I had the least amount of miles due to later arrival, but I think 500 miles would have covered all involved.

For me, if all I had was 16 gal. I would fuel every time I saw a fuel pump, I'm just like that. 5 gal would get You 75 mile, me 55 mile. 10 gal would calm me a little.

Have a great trip/adventure.
I feel the same. I just added a 5 gallon Nato can to my truck, so yea, still going to make sure I'm aware of how much is in my tank, but the extra 75 mile range is nice, plus, there will always be one person in the group who isn't as aware of how much fuel they have.

hallry

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Campbell, CA
Member #

I just did a trip in Death Valley. I had my tank full and then had the AEV 10 gallon reserve tank filled. Went through both. I'm going to add another 5 gallon reserve and I should be good. Or since I removed my muffler and have all that space down below I make out an additional tank down there. Not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Nickzero

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Both the Frontier and the Xterra's fuel lights come on notoriously early. I normally end up putting 15-16 in my Frontier most fill ups. I've gone a mile or two past the "distance to empty" flashing number.
They come on with approximately 5 gallons left, or 100 miles (per factory MPG's estimation).

Rotopax gas cans are where it's at. And that mount system... OHHH girrrrlllllll https://rotopax.com/

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Genright
I just did a trip in Death Valley. I had my tank full and then had the AEV 10 gallon reserve tank filled. Went through both. I'm going to add another 5 gallon reserve and I should be good. Or since I removed my muffler and have all that space down below I make out an additional tank down there. Not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Genright makes a nice rear tank for the JKU that goes back there.

Reactions: hallry

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We go out, way out, often, Big Bend, Gila, Moab, Grand Staircase, Rafeal Swell, etc, etc. I top off whenever I can and carry an extra 10 gallons. Thats a 374 mile range figured at 11 mpg. On one occasion we vehicle explored a bit too much from our basecamp and on the way for supplies, the yellow light was on for an uncomfortable amount of time. Sure enough, we had traveled just a hair over 400 miles. We carry a pair of old jerry cans mounted on the trailer. The rotopax, in my humble opinion, are way too expensive for the small amount of fuel they carry.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Agreed on the rotopax. A nice idea but a ton of wasted volume with the mounting placed through the middle of the container. Also $60 for just a single gallon can plus the $30 for the mount. Extremely expensive with minimal gains.

I am planning about 15 gallons per side for 30 over all. With a hope full 10 mpg I should go 300 miles. I'll still probably toss on a 5 gallon jerry can or two just for good measure. :grin:

Reactions: Desert Runner

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Agreed on the rotopax. A nice idea but a ton of wasted volume with the mounting placed through the middle of the container. Also $60 for just a single gallon can plus the $30 for the mount. Extremely expensive with minimal gains.

I am planning about 15 gallons per side for 30 over all. With a hope full 10 mpg I should go 300 miles. I'll still probably toss on a 5 gallon jerry can or two just for good measure. :grin:
wow,, what vehicle are you driving? I can squeeze 15 or 16mpg outta mine if on simple forest roads, maybe more, but i use 11 mpg as a baseline for the hardcore stuff,,,, rotopax make perfect sense for our two wheeled expo friends..

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

We carry a pair of old jerry cans mounted on the trailer. The rotopax, in my humble opinion, are way too expensive for the small amount of fuel they carry.

Jerry cans for back with a bumper with a spot for them, rotopax for roof. They are slim, that is the advantage, and you don't have to worry about them leaking on their side (i feel much more comfortable about them than a jerry can for instance). And make your own mounts, and buy the cans used. Keep a watch on the fleabay and searchtempist for craigs list. For instance, I found a 2 gallon can on fleabay for $65. The key is to find individuals selling their old ones, not the companies who are trying to make a living selling on ebay, avoid the "free shipping" adds.

I've heard good things about these jerry cans over on the xterra forums.
http://deutscheoptik.com/20-liter-jerry-can-set-of-four.html

I was talking about this thread awhile back with a buddy of mine on fuel vs water (cans mainly) and he said one of the most influential quotes of all time on the subject.
"Some people sacrifice cold beer space for water in their cooler. They're probably the same people who want water over fuel. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life."

I always say the most fuel you can possibly carry is what is considered 'enough'. Fuel gets you back to things that keep you alive (water food shelter), water doesn't combust. You can always find water (and everyone should be carrying filters and a means to purify 'wild water' anyways). You can't find fuel out in nature.

Influencer II

Just wondering, I know that my rig can get 250-300mi range on fuel, but I know that when you're crawling through tough terrain, your fuel range drastically goes down... So how do you guys account for this? Any rule of thumb?