How much Fuel is enough?

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
It really depends where you are and where you want to go. I'm most comfortable with 1000kms range. My jeep is supposed to have an 80 liter tank and with my average calculated fuel economy of 13 liters/100 Km that means the stock tank gets me 600 km. So to get that up to 1000kms I need to bring along an additional 60 liters which is 3 Jerry cans worth.

Translated to American:

600 mile preferred range.
20 gallon stock tank gets me about 350 miles.
An extra 15 gallons gets me comfortably the full 600 miles.

Trouble is if I was in Australia, the translab, the Dalton or the dempster, I might feel better with 6 jerry cans on the roof instead of three. That gives me a range of about 13-1400kms, or about 850 miles.

It truly depends on where you are going and how you go there. My jeep will go a lot further for a lot longer at 90-100 km/hr than at 130 km/hr where it just drinks the fuel so driving habits make a difference in fuel costs too.

It gets even more complex when we treat the Jeep as a fuel mule for the bike.

Generally my rule of thumb is I like to have that 1000km minimum at most reasonable gas stops, but on a more planned route I like to plan for 50% more than I need.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Captain Josh

Influencer II

Not sure on a general rule but what I go by if you are off trail riding and you hit half tank turn around unless you know exactly where your next gas stop is. Also always carry at least 5 extra gallons in a jerry can of some sort just incase.
Hmm, not a bad rule of thumb. I'll keep that in mind now! Thanks!

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

A goal of enough fuel to go 600 miles isn't a bad goal if you have the space. That distance would get you entirely across the stat of Montana the from east to west. Mine will have 30 gallons + a 5 gallon jerry can or two which should get me about 500 miles. Have to love a heavy, non aerodynamic brick. :sunglasses:

I would think you should have come across at least one place to get gas with in that distance in most over landing trips.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
That's exactly it. There's a limit to how prepared you can be. In most places where there are roads there's is gas well within that 600 mile range, and there's enough of a buffer (again, in most cases) So that you can get stuck or explore the odd side road with peace of mind.

My goal is that if I have to skip part of the adventure, doing so because of a lack of fuel should not be the reason. I figure you wouldn't adventure without ample fuel for yourself to avoid running out, so treat the rigs the same way!

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
That's exactly it. There's a limit to how prepared you can be. In most places where there are roads there's is gas well within that 600 mile range, and there's enough of a buffer (again, in most cases) So that you can get stuck or explore the odd side road with peace of mind.

My goal is that if I have to skip part of the adventure, doing so because of a lack of fuel should not be the reason. I figure you wouldn't adventure without ample fuel for yourself to avoid running out, so treat the rigs the same way!

I agree. You need the freedom to be able to explore, without feeling anxious about your next fill-up, or being stranded.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Gotrovr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, CA
Member #

Rule of thumb can be overly exaggerated or severely underrated and should not be a substitute for actual known off road mpg when fully laden, aired down and in low range. Recently, having spent a week in the hills surrounding Death Valley NP, I am now extremely familiar with my LR4’s off road mpg. Carrying and extra 10 gallons in 2 metal jerry cans on my roof rack is now mandatory for any such future excursion.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thus rule of thumb is a general suggestion, not a chiseled in stone commandment. Everyone's fuel needs are different and even then the fuel use per trip can vary a lot if you are running easy trails vs. spending hours winching your rig out of a bog. Basically know your rig and its particular usage and plan accordingly. As always when in doubt bring more than you think you might need.:sunglasses:

Gotrovr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aptos, CA
Member #

Thus rule of thumb is a general suggestion, not a chiseled in stone commandment. Everyone's fuel needs are different and even then the fuel use per trip can vary a lot if you are running easy trails vs. spending hours winching your rig out of a bog. Basically know your rig and its particular usage and plan accordingly. As always when in doubt bring more than you think you might need.:sunglasses:
your last sentence is well put. :sunglasses:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I would think a full refill of your rigs fuel would be enough unless the trails are really rough and burn a lot of fuel.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

My Jeep loaded down gets about 13-15 while off-road. That's about 300 off-road miles. Another 10 gallons would extend that to 450 off-road miles. That's quite a distance off grid.

If your rig gets similar mileage this should be a good guideline for you.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Another element to consider is that I've more often used my spare gas for others than I have for myself. Plan all you like but then life happens to you and to others, and it's nice to have 5 gallons to throw someone else's way if they made a calculation error in their efforts, or ended up with a holed tank, etc.

I like having the 1000 kms but rarely if ever need to go that far without extra gas available, but being prepared for that frees me up to share in a pinch.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

I was talking about this thread awhile back with a buddy of mine on fuel vs water (cans mainly) and he said one of the most influential quotes of all time on the subject.
"Some people sacrifice cold beer space for water in their cooler. They're probably the same people who want water over fuel. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life."

LOL. That's the kind of buddy I want to go overlanding with. I have an XK that's lucky to get 10 mpg on a rough trail. I'm having steel brackets installed where the spare tire went so I can carry two 8-gal Aully Park fuel tanks in my undercarriage. That will give me 36 gal. Also have getting a new bumper with 2 gerry-can holders. I'll put water on the roof rack if I need it, though I don't like adding weight to the top of the vehicle. The cooler is solely dedicated to beer.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would think a full refill of your rigs fuel would be enough unless the trails are really rough and burn a lot of fuel.
I used to think the same thing, however, one time we were not able to head south out of the Needles down through Bobby's Hole or Beef Basin because #1, we didn't top off before going in at the Outpost #2, we only had one 5 gallon jerry can. The overlanding out west can be and is much different than anything we experience here east of the Mississippi. Some one was looking for a rule of thumb? Carry at least 100 miles worth of extra fuel.

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

NYCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Colorado
Member #

also know that you'll get lower MPG when offroading that you would on road, so make sure you take that into account when calculating your fuel needs. if you're primarily hitting dirt roads where you're in 2wd cruising most of the time, it's not as dramatic of a difference. however, if you're in 4wd and especially 4low, you will see your fuel consumption increase dramatically reducing your total range.

on a trip through the maze, we had our '07 FJ Cruiser (19 gal tank), and '06 Tacoma (21 gal tank) with 23 spare gallons for our trip and we pulled into hanksville on fumes. from green river through our trip in the maze to hanksville would have been approximately 270 miles. say on-road average of 13-15 mpg, that trip we lost nearly 10mpg since we were off road and in 4low a lot.

Reactions: LandPirate

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

The other thing that can happen with fuel especially on long isolated trip is that you could hole your main tank, this happened to me once and I lost a bit of fuel. I always carry some tank putty for such occasions.

My rule of thumb is carry as much as I can. I have two tanks on my vehicles a 130 litre and a 90 litre on my Landcruiser and similar on my patrol. I also will carry a 20 litre jerry can just incase.
There have been a few trips I have been on that 1) there was no fuel where it was expected. 2) we have gotten bad fuel (water and foreign particles). 3) carrying extra could mean the difference between paying $3 litre compared to $1.45 per litre (as from my recent trip to Lorella Springs). If I go to Lorella again I would be carrying much more fuel as its easy to do over 1000km's on that Million acre property and paying for fuel at $3 per litre after a trip to get home would not make me happy.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
I'm planning a trip through the upper Mid-west this summer (North/South Dakota, then into Wyoming and Colorado). I expect along the highway portions (which honestly will be the majority) that fuel won't be too hard to come by... but when I start adventuring off the highway, how much fuel should I keep available? I figure my main tank (16 gal) will last ~250 miles, give or take.
Great question! When I was flying the regs required a 1/2 hour of fuel during daylight and an hour in the evening. Fuel management is critical when dealing with any vehicles.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

I’m lucky if I can squeeze 300 mi. Out of the LX without a “light”, I have two 9 gal Mueller marine type gas cans
That fill the roof rack on long remote trips but that’s pretty close to a full tank..I leave them on the roof and run a “ shaker siphon” hose from roof can straight to vehicle tank,so I don’t have to wrestle with a 70+- lb. gas can in the field. Almost any long trip ( on/off) I have 1 can on roof. I hate that Light ! .2