How do you spend your "down" time on the trail?

• HTML tutorial

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I tried fly fishing several years back. But streams here in the east are usually heavily wooded, so very little room to cast. I used it mostly as a light bass rig in ponds and lakes. For streams, I still like my short ultralight rod with 2# line. That makes even a sunfish fun!
Wooded streams? Try a roll cast or bow & arrow cast.

I don't leave home without a fly rod in the rig. Between the fly rod and my camera, my down time is pretty full.

Reactions: Byron Eby and Steve

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@Laughing Otter
Many people that I speak to out on the trail are either intimidated or fascinated by it. I cannot stress this enough, ANYONE can do it. It is beautiful hobby to get into. The simple fact that you can trick a fish with mockery of their natural diet, or in some cases, something that looks flashy as all hell. Just make the jump for it. There are plenty of basic starter kits, Tenkara that is, that will amaze you what approximately $100 can do.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

@Laughing Otter
Many people that I speak to out on the trail are either intimidated or fascinated by it. I cannot stress this enough, ANYONE can do it. It is beautiful hobby to get into. The simple fact that you can trick a fish with mockery of their natural diet, or in some cases, something that looks flashy as all hell. Just make the jump for it. There are plenty of basic starter kits, Tenkara that is, that will amaze you what approximately $100 can do.
I'm fascinated by it now and I've never done it. It's not so much the cost or the learning curve...for me it's about slowing down. Between backpacking, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, survival run, geocaching, traveling, photography, 8mm film making...etc., etc. I just haven't had time...but I want to make time...I want to make time.:neutral:

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

I'm fascinated by it now and I've never done it. It's not so much the cost or the learning curve...for me it's about slowing down. Between backpacking, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, survival run, geocaching, traveling, photography, 8mm film making...etc., etc. I just haven't had time...but I want to make time...I want to make time.:neutral:
Do it!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

A few of the things you just described are great ways to facilitate fly fishing. ;) I hike, bike, 4x4 and kayak to get to my favorite fishing spots. When winter hits and fishing slows down I tie like crazy to restock my fly boxes. I've been known to carry my vise with me on winter treks and tie while sitting next to the fire. If you ever find yourself in Central Texas let me know. I'll take you to a spot that will hook you on fly fishing for life.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

A few of the things you just described are great ways to facilitate fly fishing. ;) I hike, bike, 4x4 and kayak to get to my favorite fishing spots. When winter hits and fishing slows down I tie like crazy to restock my fly boxes. I've been known to carry my vise with me on winter treks and tie while sitting next to the fire. If you ever find yourself in Central Texas let me know. I'll take you to a spot that will hook you on fly fishing for life.
Agreed, I know a lot of guys out this way that have rod holders on their mountain bikes. Tying flies sounds like a great activity do while I'm sitting around the fire while camping or backpacking. I may take you up on that offer...I'm getting the itch to plan a summer road trip/expedition for 6 weeks. So, it sounds great!

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Time on the trail is taken up with three boys under 12 years old, trying to take some pictures or trying to get a fishing line wet. 'Down time' is busier than driving time!

Reactions: SLO Rob

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I tend to set up the bigger HF antenna, and make some contacts....
Example from last March, 60 miles down North Padre Island, near the Mansfield Chanel.

Reactions: IronPercheron

ryanstl

Rank 0

Contributor I

I like to read a good book and drink a good beer. This happens during nap time for the younger ones. The older kids are having fun riding their bikes. This is between hiking and starting dinner.

Reactions: murps

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I tend to set up the bigger HF antenna, and make some contacts....
Example from last March, 60 miles down North Padre Island, near the Mansfield Chanel.

I am making a run there after i finish body mounts and some cancer repairs.

Most of my efforts regarding camping are directly related to fishing and hunting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Playing some Cribbage on a homemade Cribbage board made out of slab white pine with a little bark left on. Hand whittled pegs.
Listening to Link Wray on the Bose bluetooth Soundlink. A cold beer on the table looking lonesome at me.