How About the WJs?

• HTML tutorial

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Great thread, lots of great looking dubs here! I just joined the forum, I honestly was expecting to see nothing but 80 series LC's and Tacomas, haha. Great to see some Jeep love.

I used to have a 3" lifted 97 ZJ on 31" Duratracs. I really miss that thing! I've been thinking of picking up a rig for offroading and camping, a WJ is high on the list. Luckily these are so cheap and plentiful I'll probably have fairly easy time finding what I want (though a rust free one may be a rare find here in New England): a V8 LTD or Overland. I want QD, and with my ZJ, I always regretted going with the 4.slow so it's gotta be a V8 this time around.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Great thread, lots of great looking dubs here! I just joined the forum, I honestly was expecting to see nothing but 80 series LC's and Tacomas, haha. Great to see some Jeep love.

I used to have a 3" lifted 97 ZJ on 31" Duratracs. I really miss that thing! I've been thinking of picking up a rig for offroading and camping, a WJ is high on the list. Luckily these are so cheap and plentiful I'll probably have fairly easy time finding what I want (though a rust free one may be a rare find here in New England): a V8 LTD or Overland. I want QD, and with my ZJ, I always regretted going with the 4.slow so it's gotta be a V8 this time around.
Welcome.

To me the WJ is great platform. Decent enough aftermarket options, low cost of entry, lots and lots on the road making parts abundant, interchangeability with Wranglers and other Jeeps / Dodges.

The QuadraDrive system has been great for me. Works really well and hasn't let me down. I've got the 4.7HO and while it is a decent engine, I do worry that it being a little more rare, I may have problems finding a replacement should my engine blow.

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Welcome.

To me the WJ is great platform. Decent enough aftermarket options, low cost of entry, lots and lots on the road making parts abundant, interchangeability with Wranglers and other Jeeps / Dodges.

The QuadraDrive system has been great for me. Works really well and hasn't let me down. I've got the 4.7HO and while it is a decent engine, I do worry that it being a little more rare, I may have problems finding a replacement should my engine blow.
Friend had an overland with the HO. Dropped a valve seat driving down the street from his house. Destroyed the cylinder. We couldn’t find another that was affordable. The Jeep just wasn’t worth what it would have cost to replace the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: MoreGone

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Friend had an overland with the HO. Dropped a valve seat driving down the street from his house. Destroyed the cylinder. We couldn’t find another that was affordable. The Jeep just wasn’t worth what it would have cost to replace the motor.

Yeah if that time comes, and I can't find a good motor, I will look into an engine swap. I've heard the Durango and Dakota came with the HO in some years so there are probably more options than originally expected. I've already done the valve seals and seats so let's hope for another 100k

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Yeah if that time comes, and I can't find a good motor, I will look into an engine swap. I've heard the Durango and Dakota came with the HO in some years so there are probably more options than originally expected. I've already done the valve seals and seats so let's hope for another 100k
Keep the cooling system in good working order and keep the oil changed and I have been fine. 175000 miles later.

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
I have an issue where I have to intermittently disconnect the ground on the battery to reset the computer. When it is failing none of the windows work and the lights are all jacked up. You guys have this issue with your WJs. Just leaving the negative off for a bit fixes the issue. Just annoying.

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

I have an issue where I have to intermittently disconnect the ground on the battery to reset the computer. When it is failing none of the windows work and the lights are all jacked up. You guys have this issue with your WJs. Just leaving the negative off for a bit fixes the issue. Just annoying.

I’ve heard a failing battery can cause that.

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Somehow I've always read through this one but never posted. So here's my rig, as she stands currently... well, mostly. She's snorkeled now, but I've spent the better part of the last two years fixing things. Rebuilt HVAC system, new PCM, and the like. Mighty close to getting her back on the trail.
20160313_102324.jpg
10306234_10205765092827262_2893537906462799392_n.jpg
20161023_111710_1477346944739_resized.jpg

TitusTaymor

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Spokane, Wa
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Childs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BKS
Just picked up the 2000 WJ a month or two ago and found a nice CVT for it. Currently it is all stock but with the UpCountry package. Still figuring out what tires/lift to go with.

Last edited:

offroadinclined

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Somehow I've always read through this one but never posted. So here's my rig, as she stands currently... well, mostly. She's snorkeled now, but I've spent the better part of the last two years fixing things. Rebuilt HVAC system, new PCM, and the like. Mighty close to getting her back on the trail.
View attachment 56092
View attachment 56093
View attachment 56094
Very nice WJ. I like the way it sits. Are those cargo like straps holding your basket on?

Reactions: Overland 505

BigTuna117

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bouman
Member #

Actually, It is attached to the cargo rails as expected. The straps are just there to prevent the basket from "jumping" as the rails it is attached to have a bit of slack to them. eventually this will change.

Reactions: 9Mike2