I will be there. I can come down Friday and stay through the weekend. I will probably be up for more 'light' trails, but I can't want to meet more people. Going to try and get the wife to come too.
Awesome ! My wife and possibly one of our dogs will be joining us. Most the trails I'm looking at could in theory be done by a stock TacomaI will be there. I can come down Friday and stay through the weekend. I will probably be up for more 'light' trails, but I can't want to meet more people. Going to try and get the wife to come too.
Please note plans are very much still subject to change as we iron out details and I realize I am being overly ambitious :P. Please refer to Rally point Details page for most up-to-date details. I will also send out a finalized itinerary to all RSVP'd attendees the week prior to the trip and will post updates within the forum section as well.Alright Everyone, tentatively here is the plan (ill also update the rally point details):
Thursday, September 16th
Since we will be leaving from FOCO, we will likely not make it to ironton until roughly noon (6.5-7 hr drive for us). Plan for thursday will be to set up camp maybe spend some time exploring ouray once we have camp with a few others established. I will have my zoleo with me and will post the text number on the rally point page so others can reach us incase we dont have good cell signal. Thursday will serve as our meet and greet day really relaxed and maybe some afternoon runs on some of the easier trails around camp.
Friday, September 17th
Black Bear Pass/ Ophir Pass to Telluride, Imogene pass to Yankee Boy Basin to Ouray
We will likely split into 2 groups for this part of the trip. One group will head out on Black Bear pass likely leaving earlier in the morning to account for longer trail time or we can have everyone head out to black bear and those that want to proceed on the downhill head on down hill and those that dont want to return and go down to ophir pass and head in to telluride to wait/explore. From Telluride everyone re-groups then we can set out for Imogene together and make our way to yankee boy basin out to ouray. Time permitting spend some time in ouray before heading back to camp.
Saturday, September 18th
Engineer pass and Cinnamon Pass
I figure this will make for a more relaxed day where we will run the alpine loop. Heading north from ironton we will pick up Engineer Pass follow that to lake city and relax for lunch before heading out on Cinnamon Pass and back to camp.
Sunday, September 19th
Last day on this trip for us unfortunately. We will set out Sunday morning for Stony Pass taking some side trails to get there. From there head out towards Creede, Co at which point we will say our goodbyes.
Please let me know what your thoughts are on this itinerary.
No worries ! Blackbear is still up in the air largely depends on weather conditions and how comfortable we all feel. I have no intention of pushing anyone beyond their comfort level on any trail run. I imagine we are going to split the group some running Blackbear others running Ophir to telluride or if conditions prohibit Blackbear then as a group we can run OphirHey Aleem, after further research I am planning on riding along with Josh instead of bringing my double cab long bed. I just don't feel comfortable with how long the wheelbase is for some of the switchback's.
What model truck? Do you know your wheelbase?Hey Aleem, after further research I am planning on riding along with Josh instead of bringing my double cab long bed. I just don't feel comfortable with how long the wheelbase is for some of the switchback's.
He's got the longbed version of my truck its about 14 inches longer wheel base with a little more over hang from the rear wheels to the rear bumperWhat model truck? Do you know your wheelbase?
There are heap of switchbacks besides black bear. I'm curious how your wheelbase compares to my Avalanche which gets around all the others just fine.
I was wondering if they are still working on the canyon between Blue Massa reservoir and Montrose? When Jan and I were leaving for home there were two time slots that you had to be in line for to travel through it. We got there with 30 minutes to spare for the lunch break time slot only to be turn away because of issues they were having. If we could have planned things differently and been heading away from there area via Lake City going north to Blue Massa reservoir, we could have bypassed the whole issue. Might consider that for those who want to use 285 to get home. We ended up having to backtrack and go north out of Montrose to I-70 (I hate traveling I-70 in the Sunday rush home.
It it the way I set out to go home after we ended our trip in June of last year. John and I parted ways after we ended our trip south of Stoney Pass. I turned left and then headed up north through Lake City. From Lake City to Blue Massa was really a nice drive too.
sweet! nice to hear. we hope it stays open. wife and I have been trying to figure out a way around. we are looking at coming in on wednesday evening (9/15).Good news everyone looks like the hwy 550 closure has been postponed, we will have to see how long they take to clear 70 but for the time being as long as 70 is closed near Glenwood all work on us 50 has ceased