US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Good news everyone looks like the hwy 550 closure has been postponed, we will have to see how long they take to clear 70 but for the time being as long as 70 is closed near Glenwood all work on us 50 has ceased
sweet! nice to hear. we hope it stays open. wife and I have been trying to figure out a way around. we are looking at coming in on wednesday evening (9/15).
I'll definitely keep you updated, if y'all are amenable to it I might ask y'all to help us nail down/ claim a campsite, Danielle and I won't be in until Thursday morning. I'm going to see about reaching out to some people in the ouray / telluride area to see if we can't secure a private campsite on someone's property. I'll also be sending out a check in a couple weeks ahead of time to finalize our head count

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Good news everyone looks like the hwy 550 closure has been postponed, we will have to see how long they take to clear 70 but for the time being as long as 70 is closed near Glenwood all work on us 50 has ceased
sweet! nice to hear. we hope it stays open. wife and I have been trying to figure out a way around. we are looking at coming in on wednesday evening (9/15).
If you're up for a little extra adventure, you could go to Creede, CO and then take Stony Pass over to CR2. Then via Silverton to Hwy 550 up to base camp.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

If you're up for a little extra adventure, you could go to Creede, CO and then take Stony Pass over to CR2. Then via Silverton to Hwy 550 up to base camp.
Our group did this route this summer. Had a great time and found an awesome place to camp overlooking a canyon and the river. I will be doing this trip again.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Our group did this route this summer. Had a great time and found an awesome place to camp overlooking a canyon and the river. I will be doing this trip again.
I believe I know the spot you mean. Let me know if you're ever looking for company.

Reactions: jeepers29

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Update!

Imogene from telluride side is going to be closed for bridge maintenance :( so I will be re-organizing the runs for the blackbear run we will likely do blackbear to ophir and back up us basin to camp. the dates for each trail run are currently up in the air and getting re-shuffled.

How does everyone feel about doing the alpine loop in one day I know it would make for quite a long day so if there is not enough interest we will do at the least engineer on the way out of town.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Update!

Imogene from telluride side is going to be closed for bridge maintenance :( so I will be re-organizing the runs for the blackbear run we will likely do blackbear to ophir and back up us basin to camp. the dates for each trail run are currently up in the air and getting re-shuffled.

How does everyone feel about doing the alpine loop in one day I know it would make for quite a long day so if there is not enough interest we will do at the least engineer on the way out of town.
What would be the route to/from the loop?

Reactions: Iridium

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

So from my understanding US 550 nothbound should be open to traffic so we could pick up lower engineer/mineral creek to enginneer head out to have lunch at lake city then back on Cinnamon from there we could do the longer route of down california etc, or come back towards silverton on cr2 get gas and head back to camp. Would probably make for about a 10-12 hr day so we would want to get an early start

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

So from my understanding US 550 nothbound should be open to traffic so we could pick up lower engineer/mineral creek to enginneer head out to have lunch at lake city then back on Cinnamon from there we could do the longer route of down california etc, or come back towards silverton on cr2 get gas and head back to camp. Would probably make for about a 10-12 hr day so we would want to get an early start
we could also use this as a way to meet up with other members coming in on friday and head in from lake city with them together

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
So from my understanding US 550 nothbound should be open to traffic so we could pick up lower engineer/mineral creek to enginneer head out to have lunch at lake city then back on Cinnamon from there we could do the longer route of down california etc, or come back towards silverton on cr2 get gas and head back to camp
California/Hurricane/Corkscrew combined with the loop is more than I'd want to do in a day. Are those three on the itinerary for another day?

Mineral Creek is right at the edge of my comfort zone for a full sized stocker. If I wasn't feeling it, I could always make the run around through Silverton and County Road 2 and meet you at Animas.

I strongly suggest that we get headed up engineer as early in the day as possible before all the traffic starts coming down from Lake City.

ColoradoJosh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Yang
Hmm a 10-12 hour day of off roading sounds pretty rough on the back and neck to be honest! If we don't cram all those into a day, will we still be able to spread them out over the course of the weekend?

Reactions: Iridium

ColoradoJosh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Yang
Hmm a 10-12 hour day of off roading sounds pretty rough on the back and neck to be honest! If we don't cram all those into a day, will we still be able to spread them out over the course of the weekend?

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

The problem for alpine loop becomes that there is not any where that i know of we could fit 15+ rigs and camping gear, so we would have to return to our campsite. if we take cinnamon or engineer to lake city the other option is probably about 3+ hours on highway to get back which is not muhc different than coming back on cinnamon. the plan would be to leave by 6/7a from camp to head to trail head then head down engineer, according to trails off-road thats about 5 hrs from us550 to lake city, then cinnamon is about 4 hrs of course that could be longer or shorter depending on what we choose to do. another option is to do mineral creek to poughkeepsie gulch then california and back on cr2 to silverton

Reactions: Wandering Wanda

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign