Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

I will be there. I can come down Friday and stay through the weekend. I will probably be up for more 'light' trails, but I can't want to meet more people. Going to try and get the wife to come too.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

I will be there. I can come down Friday and stay through the weekend. I will probably be up for more 'light' trails, but I can't want to meet more people. Going to try and get the wife to come too.
Awesome ! My wife and possibly one of our dogs will be joining us. Most the trails I'm looking at could in theory be done by a stock Tacoma

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Alright Everyone, tentatively here is the plan (ill also update the rally point details):

Thursday, September 16th
Since we will be leaving from FOCO, we will likely not make it to ironton until roughly noon (6.5-7 hr drive for us). Plan for thursday will be to set up camp maybe spend some time exploring ouray once we have camp with a few others established. I will have my zoleo with me and will post the text number on the rally point page so others can reach us incase we dont have good cell signal. Thursday will serve as our meet and greet day really relaxed and maybe some afternoon runs on some of the easier trails around camp.

Friday, September 17th
Black Bear Pass/ Ophir Pass to Telluride, Imogene pass to Yankee Boy Basin to Ouray
We will likely split into 2 groups for this part of the trip. One group will head out on Black Bear pass likely leaving earlier in the morning to account for longer trail time or we can have everyone head out to black bear and those that want to proceed on the downhill head on down hill and those that dont want to return and go down to ophir pass and head in to telluride to wait/explore. From Telluride everyone re-groups then we can set out for Imogene together and make our way to yankee boy basin out to ouray. Time permitting spend some time in ouray before heading back to camp.

Saturday, September 18th
Engineer pass and Cinnamon Pass
I figure this will make for a more relaxed day where we will run the alpine loop. Heading north from ironton we will pick up Engineer Pass follow that to lake city and relax for lunch before heading out on Cinnamon Pass and back to camp.

Sunday, September 19th
Stony Pass
Last day on this trip for us unfortunately. We will set out Sunday morning for Stony Pass taking some side trails to get there. From there head out towards Creede, Co at which point we will say our goodbyes.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this itinerary.

- Cheers.

Last edited:

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Alright Everyone, tentatively here is the plan (ill also update the rally point details):

Thursday, September 16th
Since we will be leaving from FOCO, we will likely not make it to ironton until roughly noon (6.5-7 hr drive for us). Plan for thursday will be to set up camp maybe spend some time exploring ouray once we have camp with a few others established. I will have my zoleo with me and will post the text number on the rally point page so others can reach us incase we dont have good cell signal. Thursday will serve as our meet and greet day really relaxed and maybe some afternoon runs on some of the easier trails around camp.

Friday, September 17th
Black Bear Pass/ Ophir Pass to Telluride, Imogene pass to Yankee Boy Basin to Ouray
We will likely split into 2 groups for this part of the trip. One group will head out on Black Bear pass likely leaving earlier in the morning to account for longer trail time or we can have everyone head out to black bear and those that want to proceed on the downhill head on down hill and those that dont want to return and go down to ophir pass and head in to telluride to wait/explore. From Telluride everyone re-groups then we can set out for Imogene together and make our way to yankee boy basin out to ouray. Time permitting spend some time in ouray before heading back to camp.

Saturday, September 18th
Engineer pass and Cinnamon Pass
I figure this will make for a more relaxed day where we will run the alpine loop. Heading north from ironton we will pick up Engineer Pass follow that to lake city and relax for lunch before heading out on Cinnamon Pass and back to camp.

Sunday, September 19th
Stony Pass
Last day on this trip for us unfortunately. We will set out Sunday morning for Stony Pass taking some side trails to get there. From there head out towards Creede, Co at which point we will say our goodbyes.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this itinerary.

- Cheers.
Please note plans are very much still subject to change as we iron out details and I realize I am being overly ambitious :P. Please refer to Rally point Details page for most up-to-date details. I will also send out a finalized itinerary to all RSVP'd attendees the week prior to the trip and will post updates within the forum section as well.

Thus far it looks like we will be changing the itinerary for saturday and sunday substatially dropping Stony Pass as it may be too much for an outbound trip in favor of leaving on Engineer Pass. There is also the possibility of entering through Cinnamon pass if there is enough interest from Lake City. Please let me know how you feel about the posted itinerary in Rally point Details section.

VERY IMPORTANT INFO US-50 Closure between Gunnison and Montrose:
1626444934414.png

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

A few important developments. Firstly this event is now full, for those that wish to be put on a wait list please let me know either via this forum or PM.

We will be aiming to camp at the Ironton park dispersed camp ground off of US550 (due to size of campground and central location to what we want to run).

With that being said it was recently announced by the SMPA that US 550 will be closed from 830a to 12p Monday-Friday and 1p-530p Monday-Thursday and 1p-4p Friday. US550 will be open from before 830a, between 12p and 1p and 530/4p depending on the day.

This provides some challenges as well as a few opportunities (possibly reduced traffic on major trails during these periods as well as difficulties getting in and out of camp). My wife and I will be arriving in Ouray on Thursday sometime mid morning (appx 10a) to walk around and take in some of Ouray while we wait for the 12-1p window. I strongly encourage and would appreciate others doing the same so we can make camp around lunch hour and establish a large enough foot print to claim the area for our group. Depending on how things shake out we should all be able to fit at the campgrounds we may just have to get a bit cozy.

I will also be sending out a message to all that have RSVP'd to establish planned arrival times/dates and other coordination efforts. If anyone has any suggestions for Saturday Trail runs please let me know, post here or PM me if you'd like to discuss privately.

Getting more excited about this trip with each passing day and looking forward to hanging out with all of you soon

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If I recall, you're looking at Ophir/ Black Bear and Imogene for Friday?

If so, then Saturday I'd suggest Corkscrew/Hurricane/California to Animas Forks. You could return via Mineral Creek or CR2 to Silverton OR Head over Stony Pass and camp along the way to depart from there Sunday. (While at Animas Forks, you could make the run up Engineer to the overlook and back down.)

thefostah

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Foster
Hey Aleem, after further research I am planning on riding along with Josh instead of bringing my double cab long bed. I just don't feel comfortable with how long the wheelbase is for some of the switchback's.

Reactions: Iridium

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hey Aleem, after further research I am planning on riding along with Josh instead of bringing my double cab long bed. I just don't feel comfortable with how long the wheelbase is for some of the switchback's.
No worries ! Blackbear is still up in the air largely depends on weather conditions and how comfortable we all feel. I have no intention of pushing anyone beyond their comfort level on any trail run. I imagine we are going to split the group some running Blackbear others running Ophir to telluride or if conditions prohibit Blackbear then as a group we can run Ophir

thefostah

Rank I

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Foster
If that's the case I may still drive! I just don't want to take a spot if everyone is wanting to do black bear. I'm flexible either way!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
What model truck? Do you know your wheelbase?

There are heap of switchbacks besides black bear. I'm curious how your wheelbase compares to my Avalanche which gets around all the others just fine.

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

What model truck? Do you know your wheelbase?

There are heap of switchbacks besides black bear. I'm curious how your wheelbase compares to my Avalanche which gets around all the others just fine.
He's got the longbed version of my truck its about 14 inches longer wheel base with a little more over hang from the rear wheels to the rear bumper

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This is close to camp. I think we did a little part of it last year by happenstance. It might be something for when we have a couple hours to kill. Placing here for future reference:

Reactions: Iridium

Iridium

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Good news everyone looks like the hwy 550 closure has been postponed, we will have to see how long they take to clear 70 but for the time being as long as 70 is closed near Glenwood all work on us 50 has ceased

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I was wondering if they are still working on the canyon between Blue Massa reservoir and Montrose? When Jan and I were leaving for home there were two time slots that you had to be in line for to travel through it. We got there with 30 minutes to spare for the lunch break time slot only to be turn away because of issues they were having. If we could have planned things differently and been heading away from there area via Lake City going north to Blue Massa reservoir, we could have bypassed the whole issue. Might consider that for those who want to use 285 to get home. We ended up having to backtrack and go north out of Montrose to I-70 (I hate traveling I-70 in the Sunday rush home.

It it the way I set out to go home after we ended our trip in June of last year. John and I parted ways after we ended our trip south of Stoney Pass. I turned left and then headed up north through Lake City. From Lake City to Blue Massa was really a nice drive too.

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I was wondering if they are still working on the canyon between Blue Massa reservoir and Montrose? When Jan and I were leaving for home there were two time slots that you had to be in line for to travel through it. We got there with 30 minutes to spare for the lunch break time slot only to be turn away because of issues they were having. If we could have planned things differently and been heading away from there area via Lake City going north to Blue Massa reservoir, we could have bypassed the whole issue. Might consider that for those who want to use 285 to get home. We ended up having to backtrack and go north out of Montrose to I-70 (I hate traveling I-70 in the Sunday rush home.

It it the way I set out to go home after we ended our trip in June of last year. John and I parted ways after we ended our trip south of Stoney Pass. I turned left and then headed up north through Lake City. From Lake City to Blue Massa was really a nice drive too.

The US Hwy 50 project has been paused until I-70 is restored.

Wandering Wanda

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Conway Springs, Sumner County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Jay and Lisa
Last Name
Wisdom
Good news everyone looks like the hwy 550 closure has been postponed, we will have to see how long they take to clear 70 but for the time being as long as 70 is closed near Glenwood all work on us 50 has ceased
sweet! nice to hear. we hope it stays open. wife and I have been trying to figure out a way around. we are looking at coming in on wednesday evening (9/15).

Reactions: Neal A. Tew