First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Did you get time to measure? Thanks.
Hey Matt, sorry got home late last night and had to be back at work early. I should be around and able to measure that this evening though. I can say that there's a 4"mattress in there now when laying on it my toes still have room under the shelf and I wear an 11 shoe. On top of the shelf, there's enough room to setup my oversized gaming laptop to watch movies or whatever.

But yeah I'll try to get exact for you tonight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Hey Matt, sorry got home late last night and had to be back at work early. I should be around and able to measure that this evening though. I can say that there's a 4"mattress in there now when laying on it my toes still have room under the shelf and I wear an 11 shoe. On top of the shelf, there's enough room to setup my oversized gaming laptop to watch movies or whatever.

But yeah I'll try to get exact for you tonight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app
Ok awesome looking forward to it. If I can request a shoot of your feet under that would be great. Thanks.

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
any measurements? thanks.
So I have 77-78" from ground to top of roof bars. The awnings are about 2" higher, the basket is about 6" higher.

Keep in mind I have 32" tires on here.

For the interior front shelf, I measure 17.5" to bottom, 12.5" above.

Reactions: Rubicon Ro

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Sorry, no more Facebooks for me. Also, I'm out of town now for a few days. I'll have to look again later this week but it's the same depth as the upper cabinet. Another owner might be able to answer that easily. But keep in mind we requested our upper cabinet to be 1" deeper (closer to the doors) and 1" taller (lower).

kmacgoo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise
Dana thanks for the measurements, it is a tight squeeze but it would fit in garage. Did you take it down because it's sold?

I really am/was looking at a MidRange, mostly Forest Road no heavy duty stuff... at this time. You have an awesome trailer just trying to decide if its more than I need and if in the budget.

Thanks, Kevin

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
Dana thanks for the measurements, it is a tight squeeze but it would fit in garage. Did you take it down because it's sold?

I really am/was looking at a MidRange, mostly Forest Road no heavy duty stuff... at this time. You have an awesome trailer just trying to decide if its more than I need and if in the budget.

Thanks, Kevin
No, I'm going to hang on to it. Just got rid of the Jeep though [emoji22]

Last edited:
Reactions: COExplr

kmacgoo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise
I think that’s awesome your keeping the Hiker... Save me from feeling like I missed an opportunity! [emoji57]

What are you going to replace the Jeep with?

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
I think that’s awesome your keeping the Hiker... Save me from feeling like I missed an opportunity! [emoji57]

What are you going to replace the Jeep with?
Ha! I picked up a mostly stock Tacoma yesterday. It has a cheap spacer lift and some AT tires so it'll at least get me some places. Unfortunately, my payments are so high I probably won't be able to make any changes to it for a while.

Reactions: COExplr

mattd

Rank II

Enthusiast III

How much did it cost to make that front cabinet one inch deeper and one inch heigher. I reached out to rob but he wasn’t in today. Also what was the cost of the folding shelf? How deep is it? We are so close to turning in our build well we are on vacation. Final days it’s a lot of back and forth to make sure it’s correct. :grinning:

markCHI

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRMW384 (GMRS)
I'm interested in cost to./ Could you PM me if you don't want to post?

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Really nice looking trailer, I still haven't had a chance to take out my Outbound Extreme (The Grotto) yet.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

I got a lot of questions and photo/video requests after chiming in on another thread so I figured I'd start my own thread on our Hiker Trailer build.

Up until last year we had a 4x8 Deluxe (non-Off-Road) model. We were able to take that little trailer quite a few places. For the most part, it did surprisingly well on forest roads and some light off-roading. We had originally planned on installing our own cabinetry, electrical system, and water tank/outdoor shower. But, there were just a few things we weren't totally stoked on. Those being: no shocks (leaf springs only), no multi-axis coupler (we could've retro-fitted), and the size. It was big enough but w/the two of us and the two dogs, we weren't left with a whole lot of room.

So, we had a change of plans. Instead of putting a whole lot of money and time into building out the 4x9, we decided to sell it, and have Rob build us another trailer. I have to say, Rob and his crew in Denver nailed it on the build. We had a lot of very specific request and they did a great job accommodating those for us. Everything was exactly what we asked for and looked great too.

This time around, we went with the 5x9 Off-Road model with the following options and customizations:

-Lock N Roll hitch
-Eelectric bakes
-Roof rack
-Spare tire carrier w/additional 2" receiver hitch for bike rack and driver's side hinge so bikes and tire are in between the two awnings and not taking up space under the Foxwing
-Propane tank mount
-2 gallon RotaPax water cans (x2)
-Under frame 20 gallon water tank
-Screen doors w/windows
-Wheels/tires to match the Jeep
-Full electrical and solar package
-Custom interior & exterior lights
-Fantastic Fan w/light ring
-In-floor storage
-Folding shelf in front
-Deeper+taller front cabinet
-Split top shelf in rear galley (normally this shelf is open from sleeper to rear galley door)
-Cabinet doors w/latches

We already had the Rhino Rack Foxwing, Sunseeker 2.5, and Sunseeker Base Tent from our previous trailer.

We still need to do the following:
-Curtains (getting those sewn up now)
-Plumb the built in water tank and add pump
-Add Pelican case w/on-demand water heater-outdoor shower setup
-Build out drawers and slider for stove in the bottom section of the galley
-Rhino Rack roof basket from my Jeep is getting moved to the trailer. I'll be adding a Pioneer Platform to the Jeep to hold spare, gas, tools, etc.
-You tell me????

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Here's a walk around in the driveway. I'll get some photos of it in the wild soon:

I just realized that I didn't take any photos of the under-frame water tank or the electrical setup in the front toolbox. I'll add those later.
Very nice looking trailer my wife and I have been looking at them with have an infant so something like that would be better in the backcountry than an RTT, right now we just use a ground tent, she does good in it but it more difficult to set in the dark if our trail rides take a little bit longer then we planned.