• HTML tutorial

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

All these points have been made by previous posters... but I thought I would share my experience, lol.

I was jacking with the hilift on a friend's slider... had my hand on the upright part of it while jacking with the lever. I didn't realize that when jacking on the side of the vehicle the jack will get out of alignment that much quicker than jacking on the rear or front. The jack slipped and pinned my hand against my friend's FJ. I then had to lower the jack.... which pressed on my hand that much more as the vehicle came down. We were eventually able to get it out and off the FJ and reset it and did it again.... with the door open this time and a lot more care. Thankfully my hand went back to normal after a while... it was pretty squished, lol. The door had an ever-so-slight crinkle in it too.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

All these points have been made by previous posters... but I thought I would share my experience, lol.

I was jacking with the hilift on a friend's slider... had my hand on the upright part of it while jacking with the lever. I didn't realize that when jacking on the side of the vehicle the jack will get out of alignment that much quicker than jacking on the rear or front. The jack slipped and pinned my hand against my friend's FJ. I then had to lower the jack.... which pressed on my hand that much more as the vehicle came down. We were eventually able to get it out and off the FJ and reset it and did it again.... with the door open this time and a lot more care. Thankfully my hand went back to normal after a while... it was pretty squished, lol. The door had an ever-so-slight crinkle in it too.
My buddy did that this weekend he learned his lesson. Good news is the 4runner he was using it on was not harmed just his ego and swollen fingers.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

This is where we need a recovery training day.
Recovery training is so important. I also keep a copy of the, "4x4 Owners Bible" by Jim Allen. It has an extensive and well written chapter on rcovery with tons of photo's and "how to" also great "Do's and Don't" section.

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Recovery training is so important. I also keep a copy of the, "4x4 Owners Bible" by Jim Allen. It has an extensive and well written chapter on rcovery with tons of photo's and "how to" also great "Do's and Don't" section.
Good reference. I agree with @Mad Garden Gnome though, nothing replaces practice. To be proficient you have to get out and do it; preferably not during an incident.

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Practice in your driveway. You don't want the first time you use the jack to be on the trail.
I think this is the key to safe hi-lift use! If you are using the hi-lift the first time to fix something, your brain is already in "fix it now" mode. This just increases the ability you will injure yourself.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Mademan925

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

discovery bay, ca 94505
Member #

So this happened this weekend on the rubicon. The truck was high centered and the other side was pinned. Jacked up the truck and my hilift bent. Still worked fine. I contacted hilift and they are sending me a new bar. They blamed the uneven surface

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Found out about this yesterday..pretty rad but pricey! Jack off your D Rings more safely.

They also make one that is less expensive model and uses your actual recovery point on your bumpers. I might just get this!

Giggiddy... you said "jack off" lol..

OK, joking aside, looks like a great piece of equipment and safer also! Thanks for the post!

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Nice product which ever one you use on the trail or off. I'm definitely getting one for my recovery bag. Thanks for posting this up.