Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I know the thread was started over a week ago so not sure if you managed to select the tools you need yet. Many of the sizes for the 1/2 ton Chevy/GMCs are the same starting in '99/'00.

The main ones to have are:
*1/2" Drive Sockets:
-22mm[7/8"] - lug nuts (if still original), tie rods, lower ball joints.
-36mm[1 7/16"] - axle nuts
-18mm- brake caliper bracket bolts, upper ball joints, misc others.
-15mm - wheel hub bolts, misc engine, frame, skid plate and suspension hardware.
-T55 Torx - some calipers are mounted to the bracket with these fasteners.

*Note that if parts have been replaced such as balljoints, etc., the aftermarket nuts/bolts might be larger/smaller than factory. As an example, most lower ball joint nuts for the 1/2 tons are 22mm but some replacement nuts are 24mm.

For 3/8" drive sockets, you'll likely need 8,10,13,15,16,18,19mm depending what you touch under the hood and elsewhere (12+14mm are also common replacement sizes), so just buy a kit. Not enough weight savings to justify only carrying certain sizes.

Wrenches are also best to have a complete metric set. You never know what you need. Basically 8mm thru 24mm, skipping a 23mm since it's super rare. (And yes, 11mm is a must for ujoint strap bolts, lol)

There won't be any Allen (hex) sizes as far as I recall and if there are, a regular set of keys will do. So don't worry about buying Allen sockets.

Use your space requirements and best judgement on ratchets. I recommend 1 good sized (24+ inch) 1/2" breaker bar and 1 ratchet for each drive size you carry, but different lengths can be useful if not completely necessary.

Hope this is useful and not just overwhelming.
You gotta have some ASE certs. LOL
Zim

SwampFox

Rank II

Contributor III

Conyers, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Stevenson
I have had great great luck with Tekton tools...
Here are my thoughts, get this set to cover pretty much everything socket

There are times you need a wrench for access or to hold the other end of something

Instead of hex keys get this bit driver set to handle hex, torx and screwdriver needs

Then get this pry bar for anything bent or a tire change

Knipex pliers are the best, otherwise some Tekton as you desire

That should get the party started
I use my prybar to help lift my tires back onto the lug studs. I run 37x12.50x17 Nitto TrailGrapplers. Mounted they weigh about 112 pounds.

Reactions: Amanda C

SwampFox

Rank II

Contributor III

Conyers, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Stevenson
We carry a 20v 1/2” drive impact for wheel changes. I have been surprised at the number of times we have had to pull a tire for ourselves or others on the trail or just in a parking lot. I bought a Dewalt set that also included a 3/8” drive impact that also rides with us.
I have found having a flexible long handle ratchet in 3/8” and one for 1/2” has also been helpful.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Amanda, glad you made this a thread,

So I admit right off that my viewpoint maybe different than others and it is; Don't take anything you don't know how to use or are not willing to fix on the trail.

I say this because my situation is different, I don't drive a computer driven vehicle, I spent 5 years doing a frame off restoration of my Land Rover. I know it inside and out. I can fix most anything on the trail. Put me in a computerized vehicle and the check engine light comes on and I'm lost.

Series Land Rovers are simple bolt together vehicles of 1940's technology. With that in mind there are places where one might need 2 flat wrenches of the same size to undo, Oh and 1 of them might need to be a stubby. Land Rover has been making mechanics out of men since 1948.

With my resto-mod I put in a newer 1991 engine, it is metric so I need those tools, the rest of the vehicle is SAE with the exception of the transmission, it has quite a few Whitworth nuts/studs. For those I've made do with adjustable wrenches or replaced them where I can with SAE.

Since I want to be able to fix my 109 and not take the yellow taxi I carry quite a substantial repair kit.
1/4-3/8-3/4 socket sets SAE and metric, I find getting the deep sockets covers most of my needs, I got one of those label makers and put the sizes on the socket, much easier to find the right size.
Allen keys- metric and SAE
Various screwdrivers
test lamp, fuses, test jumper leads, jumper cables, wire stripper crimper, electrical tape, wire connectors
Oil filter wrench, tappet tool, compression gauge, alignment bar
I keep all this in tool bags and hard cases, Husky, Nanuk, Plano.

Now for the pics............

How my 109 looks 24/7

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0099.jpgDSCF0100.jpgDSCF0101.jpgDSCF0102.jpg
DSCF0104.jpg
DSCF0105.jpgDSCF0106.jpgDSCF0107.jpgDSCF0108.jpg

Most of it fits in the rear side locker

DSCF0109.jpg

And yes I carry a variety of spare parts, such as wheel bearings, U joints, gaskets, etc.... Things unique to my vehicle I won't find at the Auto Zone in the middle of nowhere.

DSCF0110.jpgDSCF0111.jpgDSCF0112.jpg

Don't forget the gloves, work on the car clothes, grease and oils, paper towels and baby wipes for clean up.

I know lots of stuff, but I'll get home or to help.

Attachments

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

So I admit right off that my viewpoint maybe different than others and it is; Don't take anything you don't know how to use or are not willing to fix on the trail.

I say this because my situation is different, I don't drive a computer driven vehicle, I spent 5 years doing a frame off restoration of my Land Rover. I know it inside and out. I can fix most anything on the trail. Put me in a computerized vehicle and the check engine light comes on and I'm lost.

Series Land Rovers are simple bolt together vehicles of 1940's technology. With that in mind there are places where one might need 2 flat wrenches of the same size to undo, Oh and 1 of them might need to be a stubby. Land Rover has been making mechanics out of men since 1948.

With my resto-mod I put in a newer 1991 engine, it is metric so I need those tools, the rest of the vehicle is SAE with the exception of the transmission, it has quite a few Whitworth nuts/studs. For those I've made do with adjustable wrenches or replaced them where I can with SAE.

Since I want to be able to fix my 109 and not take the yellow taxi I carry quite a substantial repair kit.
1/4-3/8-3/4 socket sets SAE and metric, I find getting the deep sockets covers most of my needs, I got one of those label makers and put the sizes on the socket, much easier to find the right size.
Various screwdrivers
test lamp, fuses, test jumper leads, jumper cables, wire stripper crimper, electrical tape, wire connectors

How my 109 looks 24/7

View attachment 239765

View attachment 239767View attachment 239768View attachment 239769View attachment 239770
View attachment 239772
View attachment 239773View attachment 239774View attachment 239775View attachment 239776

View attachment 239777

And yes I carry a variety of spare parts, such as wheel bearings, U joints, gaskets, etc.... Things unique to my vehicle I won't find at the Auto Zone in the middle of nowhere.

View attachment 239778View attachment 239779View attachment 239780

Don't forget the gloves, work on the car clothes, grease and oils, paper towels and baby wipes for clean up.

Looks like my gear but on steroids. LOL.
Nice setup.
Zim

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

Various screwdrivers

How my 109 looks 24/7

View attachment 239765

View attachment 239767View attachment 239768View attachment 239769View attachment 239770
View attachment 239772
View attachment 239773View attachment 239774View attachment 239775View attachment 239776

View attachment 239777

View attachment 239778View attachment 239779View attachment 239780

Hi Gene, Wow so well prepared and I am so happy to see everyone sharing their thoughts and tools, so impressed with all your preperation, I like the idea of labels as this makes it easier to see them in low light situations. I know I am going to learn a lot every time I break down, so I see these as positive moments of enlightment and an opportunity to learn, since an early age I was always asking why and how questions, however as we grow up, we do this less and less for fear of looking stupid. Maintaining and fixing a vehicle yourself is a rewarding feeling and very empowering, I hope to continue learning from OB members like your good self. Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I know the thread was started over a week ago so not sure if you managed to select the tools you need yet. Many of the sizes for the 1/2 ton Chevy/GMCs are the same starting in '99/'00.

*1/2" Drive Sockets:
-15mm - wheel hub bolts, misc engine, frame, skid plate and suspension hardware.

*Note that if parts have been replaced such as balljoints, etc., the aftermarket nuts/bolts might be larger/smaller than factory. As an example, most lower ball joint nuts for the 1/2 tons are 22mm but some replacement nuts are 24mm.

For 3/8" drive sockets, you'll likely need 8,10,13,15,16,18,19mm depending what you touch under the hood and elsewhere (12+14mm are also common replacement sizes), so just buy a kit. Not enough weight savings to justify only carrying certain sizes.

Wrenches are also best to have a complete metric set. You never know what you need. Basically 8mm thru 24mm, skipping a 23mm since it's super rare. (And yes, 11mm is a must for ujoint strap bolts, lol)

There won't be any Allen (hex) sizes as far as I recall and if there are, a regular set of keys will do. So don't worry about buying Allen sockets.

Use your space requirements and best judgement on ratchets. I recommend 1 good sized (24+ inch) 1/2" breaker bar and 1 ratchet for each drive size you carry, but different lengths can be useful if not completely necessary.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for diving in and taking the time to assit my quest for the right tools for the GM, your not too late great to hear from an Auto Technician with experiance!

I have not bought my tools, I have been busy soaking up all the advice like a sponge and carefully putting my shopping list together. I will get the list together and share it near the time. As you maybe aware the Overland Tool section is only a week old and now we have a wealth of knowlege and fun threads, including Vehicle Specific Threads. I will republish your information together with the other members advice into the vehicle specific new thread. Best wishes Amanda. PS Feel fee to create a thread for your 2008 Silverado 1500 I am sure it will be well received!

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar

*1/2" Drive Sockets:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for diving in and taking the time to assit my quest for the right tools for the GM, your not too late, I have not bought my tools, I have been busy soaking up all the advice like a sponge and carefully putting my shopping list together. Do you have the same age truck as mine or have you worked on GM 1st generation sierras/chevy's? I will get the list together and share it near the time. As you maybe aware the Overland Tool section is only a week old and now we have a wealth of knowlege and fun threads, including Vehicle Specific Threads. If you could let me know the list you provded is for the GM sierra 1500 - 2003 I will publish your information and other members into that new thread. Best wishes Amanda. PS Feel fee to create a thread for your vehicle I am sure it will be well received!

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
We carry a 20v 1/2” drive impact for wheel changes. I have been surprised at the number of times we have had to pull a tire for ourselves or others on the trail or just in a parking lot. I bought a Dewalt set that also included a 3/8” drive impact that also rides with us.
I have found having a flexible long handle ratchet in 3/8” and one for 1/2” has also been helpful.
Hi James, Thanks for the post and welcome to OB and the forums, I appreciate you taking the time to post and asist with the quest. Hope to see you out on the trail sometime ! Best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Everyone, Just wanted to say hello, the last week has been busy getting ready for my Overland trip, just arrived in Canada and getting ready to take my TOH (tiny overland House) out of storage and fire it up tommorow. Hoping over the weekend to go and purchase some tools, now they wont be my ideal Texton Tools cant get these in Canada easily, so I need to purchase a brand that is sufficent to get me started, so my questions is which brand would be worth starting out with that I could pick up at either Canadian Tire, Home Depot or Lowes. My 1st task is to remove the Rear seat!Any thoughts? Time to get this party started!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Craftsman tools, cordless drill, I like my Ryobi as it has a 1/2" bit capacity. Just a time saver with the right nut drivers or socket set.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Craftsman tools, cordless drill, I like my Ryobi as it has a 1/2" bit capacity. Just a time saver with the right nut drivers or socket set.
Hi Gene, Thanks for the reply, how are you keeping? I appreciate the help, I know you have done a lot of mechanical work on your landrover and so hearing that you recomend Craftsman is a good sign and they are reasonble priced, now all i have to do is complete my list of sizes for my truck which started this section and thread in the 1st place. It always takes me longer than usual nowadays to make purchasing decisions, I guess I get older I dont want to waste my money on crap, excuse my language!

They do several mechanic tool sets, are these good value for money or is it best to buy seperate tools and build a more vehicle specific kit.Would you be so kind as to have a quick look and see if any of the sets represent good value for money and would suit my needs as a absolute begineer?

For time frame I am going to head to lowes on Saturday, so if you have time tommorow that would be awsome.

Best wishes Amanda

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Amanda, Lots depends on how deep into repairs you want to go. Simple oil changes won't need much but a head gasket will.

When I got into cars they didn't make the blow molded cases, hence the proliferation of tool rolls. I like the 159 piece set; https://www.lowes.ca/product/mechanics-tool-sets/craftsman-159-piece-standard-sae-and-metric-mechanics-tool-set-1049235

It has 6 point sockets in both SAE and Metric, 12 point sockets can sometimes be a sloppy fit, yet sometimes the only one that fits in tight quarters. Also has 20 specialty bits I'm guessing screwdriver and torx maybe allen. All your tools in one place.

Best of all it's on clearance!

Do you have a workshop manual and parts catalogue? Some you can find online, put em on a tablet.

Happy Trails!

Big community, don't hesitate asking for help if you need it.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Gene, thanks for all the help on this tool journey of discovery. I will go ahead and order on line today the kit as stock numbers are low in my area.

Today I am heading up to my storage unit to get my truck, wish me luck that it will start after 2 years. I had been in a shipping container out of all the weather up here in Canada so should be how I left it?

I will going tommorow to my local trusted Mr Lube and friend who is a senior tech at the branch and he will check all my fluids.

Again thanks for your help and enjoy the weekend ahead.

Best wishes

Amanda

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Ha. On a trip last month I used mine to pull a wheel off because a pebble had wedged in between the brake disc and dust shield causing an awful racket.

Reactions: SwampFox

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Gene, thanks for all the help on this tool journey of discovery. I will go ahead and order on line today the kit as stock numbers are low in my area.

Today I am heading up to my storage unit to get my truck, wish me luck that it will start after 2 years. I had been in a shipping container out of all the weather up here in Canada so should be how I left it?

I will going tommorow to my local trusted Mr Lube and friend who is a senior tech at the branch and he will check all my fluids.

Again thanks for your help and enjoy the weekend ahead.

Best wishes

Amanda
Hopefully no mice and just needs a jump start and maybe fresh fuel. Does Canada use ethanol in the fuel? It can eat away at seals and such. Wishing for the best!

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hopefully no mice and just needs a jump start and maybe fresh fuel. Does Canada use ethanol in the fuel? It can eat away at seals and such. Wishing for the best!
Hi Gene, Thanks for the message, the truck started first time, no mice as it was in a shipping container. I did not know that Ethonel in gas was bad for engines, I also learnt today that when I store the truck for long periods i should add a fuel stabliser. My truck had half a tank of gas in it when stored it, once i have used this up I will add new fuel and a cleaner/additive to clear any gunk out of the engine.

I will look into finding Ethonel Free Gas when travelling, only a handful of gas stations here in Ontario offer ethonol free, fingers crossed the seals are OK, I guess i will know soon if anything major has corroded. Heading out from the hotel now to pick up the craftsmen tool kit and order my tyres.

Heres a picture of the rig straight out of the container!

IMG-6303.jpg

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Amanda,

So glad it started up with no issues! I don't think ethanol is bad per say, just that with some older rubber components it would eat them up. Your GMC is probably new enough not to worry especially after sitting for so long and then running. Good to go! :^)

Reactions: Amanda C

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Amanda,

So glad it started up with no issues! I don't think ethanol is bad per say, just that with some older rubber components it would eat them up. Your GMC is probably new enough not to worry especially after sitting for so long and then running. Good to go! :^)
Hi Gene, nice to see your message this morning I am currently in Lowes have just arrived in the tool section.

Now I discover the sale kit we selected the tools are from china, however what made me post this message is there is two other kits either side of this one and they appear to offer slightly more . I.e the $149 - 6 $ more and has 6pt and 12pt (see photo of front and back of box and also the tools are made in Taiwan that I heard are better quality than china. Maybe this was why the one we intially selected was on sale!

Would love to have you here in lowes, but the next best thing is having you in my pocket virtually - thanks

What do you think I should do?

Attachments

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Amanda,

Hi Gene, nice to see your message this morning I am currently in Lowes have just arrived in the tool section.

Now I discover the sale kit we selected the tools are from china, however what made me post this message is there is two other kits either side of this one and they appear to offer slightly more . I.e the $149 - 6 $ more and has 6pt and 12pt (see photo of front and back of box and also the tools are made in Taiwan that I heard are better quality than china. Maybe this was why the one we intially selected was on sale!

Would love to have you here in lowes, but the next best thing is having you in my pocket virtually - thanks

What do you think I should do?
Hi gene, just checking the list and the alternative kit has 1 inch standard sockets in 3/8 and 1/2

Attachments