Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hello wonderful people, its been away since I have created a thread.

Based and inspired on the video that Micheal made in 2020 - Building Out Your Tool Roll for the Trail

I would welcome advice from OB members that are either mechanics and/or owners of GMC trucks .

I am trying to narrow down the exact size of

1. Hex Keys
  2. Ratches
  3. Sockets
  4. Spanners
  5. Wrenches
That I should carry on the trail in my tool roll for my 1st Gen 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71.

IMG-8984.jpg

Since I purchased the truck in 2018 , I have been very fortunate not to breakdown on the trail, I know this luck will run out one day while out on the trail and I want to be better prepared to attempt to fix it or have the correct tools for someone else to assist me who knows what they are doing!

I am not kidding myself I know much about how to strip down an engine, but like the saying goes if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Thanks in advance for any replys to this thread.

Amanda

7db89cd0-e2e3-40ce-b85f-adddf8159b7a.JPG

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hi Amanda,

I have an incomplete list of socket sizes, related to thier locations and torque specs, however my list is related to a 2014 GMC Sierra. I'm sure a lot has stayed the same though some may be different

Reactions: Amanda C

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
That's a cool camper. It's got character.
I carry a set of standard and metric. Because.......Ford. LOL
I would take a few hours and go over the truck and see what sizes you need and what you don't. I have a bunch of 7/8/9 mm bolts that drive me nuts. Then there are the other bolts, nuts, screws and pushpins on things like the alternator, water pump and or dash and interior etc.
You should prepare for what you may have to do on a trail, or a parking lot as per your ability. there are some things you just can't fix.
Zim

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
While perhaps some of these will fit, others may not. But here is a short list and maybe it reminds you to bring a socket for "that part" you may have overlooked. Some basics:

View attachment 238367
Thanks for taking the time, I apprecaite you letting me have this list, I am currently in the UK and flying out to pick up my truck from its shipping container mid september and so I am looking to purchase these from Tekton tools website and have them waiting at a friends house. I am trying to save time by doing this in advance, so fingers crossed I can hit the open road and trails pretty quick. the reason I posted on the forum is that I could not find a definitive list on the internet or from GM as to which tools you need for maintance, i did not want to waste money on tools I dont need or turn my garage(rear seat delete) into a mobile SnapOn truck! The whole metric or imperial thing aswell was slightly worrying, what if I bought the wrong things. Thanks again for the time taken to read and reply to my post - Best wishes Amanda

Reactions: Faneius

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

What might you need to fix, swap out, or repair on the trail...

Change a tire/ wheel ? Get the lug nut mm
Shock mount? Get that bolt measurement
Fasteners for control arms, maybe. Other suspension.

Whatever you might need to loosen to change a drive belt...serpentine belt tensioner usually just want a breaker bar's half in receiver without a socket...

Diff, transaxle plugs? Most US trucks have been a mix of ASE and metric fasteners since the late 1980's / early '90's the latest. 5/8ths spark plugs, but 7mm interior trims and such. Half inch drive belt tensioner yet 10mm battery hold-down

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
That's a cool camper. It's got character.
I carry a set of standard and metric. Because.......Ford. LOL
I would take a few hours and go over the truck and see what sizes you need and what you don't. I have a bunch of 7/8/9 mm bolts that drive me nuts. Then there are the other bolts, nuts, screws and pushpins on things like the alternator, water pump and or dash and interior etc.
You should prepare for what you may have to do on a trail, or a parking lot as per your ability. there are some things you just can't fix.
Zim
Hi Zim, Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated, the truck shell is a one off handbuilt expoxy resin/cedar planking (built by a wooden boat builder 30 years ago in Martha's Vineyard and restored by me in Port Townsend, WA in 2020). Since then I have explored various parts of Canada and clocked about 10,000 miles with my Tiny Overland House!

As I mentioned to ThundahBeagle

Thanks for taking the time, I am currently living in the UK and flying out to pick up my truck from its shipping container mid september and taking a road triip to visit varoius 4x4 shops in the US like OK4wd to find a shop to work with me with the second stage of the build, coils,springs and shocks as well as skids and sliders.

Back to the tools, I am looking to purchase my Hex Keys, Ratches, Sockets, Spanners & Wrenches from Tekton tools website and have them waiting at a friends house. I am trying to save time by doing this in advance, so fingers crossed I can hit the open road and trails pretty quick. the reason I posted on the forum is that I could not find a definitive list on the internet or from GM as to which tools you need for maintance, I did not want to waste money on tools I dont need or turn my garage(rear seat delete) into a mobile SnapOn truck! The whole metric or imperial thing aswell was slightly worrying, what if I bought the wrong things. Thanks again for the time taken to read and reply to my post - Best wishes Amanda

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Thanks for taking the time, I apprecaite you letting me have this list, I am currently in the UK and flying out to pick up my truck from its shipping container mid september and so I am looking to purchase these from Tekton tools website and have them waiting at a friends house. I am trying to save time by doing this in advance, so fingers crossed I can hit the open road and trails pretty quick. the reason I posted on the forum is that I could not find a definitive list on the internet or from GM as to which tools you need for maintance, i did not want to waste money on tools I dont need or turn my garage(rear seat delete) into a mobile SnapOn truck! The whole metric or imperial thing aswell was slightly worrying, what if I bought the wrong things. Thanks again for the time taken to read and reply to my post - Best wishes Amanda
That's the list I made for my truck. 2014. Yours may be different t but probably very similar. I scoured a few forums and had some trial and error many years ago for that. You should check those against your truck.

GM truck club dot com

SilveradoSierra

Search those types of forums and you can get more accurate answers, but I have found a lot of these are the same as from my 1993 and 1994

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
What might you need to fix, swap out, or repair on the trail...

Change a tire/ wheel ? Get the lug nut mm
Shock mount? Get that bolt measurement
Fasteners for control arms, maybe. Other suspension.

Whatever you might need to loosen to change a drive belt...serpentine belt tensioner usually just want a breaker bar's half in receiver without a socket...

Diff, transaxle plugs? Most US trucks have been a mix of ASE and metric fasteners since the late 1980's / early '90's the latest. 5/8ths spark plugs, but 7mm interior trims and such. Half inch drive belt tensioner yet 10mm battery hold-down
Thanks again Andrew great advice, I will spend some time at the weekend trying to get the answers to your questions, if I am ever near Massachusetts Ill be sure to let you know and buy you a coffee / bear or two!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hi Zim, Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated, the truck shell is a one off handbuilt expoxy resin/cedar planking (built by a wooden boat builder 30 years ago in Martha's Vineyard and restored by me in Port Townsend, WA in 2020). Since then I have explored various parts of Canada and clocked about 10,000 miles with my Tiny Overland House!

As I mentioned to ThundahBeagle

Thanks for taking the time, I am currently living in the UK and flying out to pick up my truck from its shipping container mid september and taking a road triip to visit varoius 4x4 shops in the US like OK4wd to find a shop to work with me with the second stage of the build, coils,springs and shocks as well as skids and sliders.

Back to the tools, I am looking to purchase my Hex Keys, Ratches, Sockets, Spanners & Wrenches from Tekton tools website and have them waiting at a friends house. I am trying to save time by doing this in advance, so fingers crossed I can hit the open road and trails pretty quick. the reason I posted on the forum is that I could not find a definitive list on the internet or from GM as to which tools you need for maintance, I did not want to waste money on tools I dont need or turn my garage(rear seat delete) into a mobile SnapOn truck! The whole metric or imperial thing aswell was slightly worrying, what if I bought the wrong things. Thanks again for the time taken to read and reply to my post - Best wishes Amanda
Ah ha. Shipwright you say. LOL. I've been following the Tally Ho restoration out there. Very cool. I'll check around and see what I can come up with on the tool thing. Tekton is really really nice. Like some of the best.
Zim

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I have had great great luck with Tekton tools...
Here are my thoughts, get this set to cover pretty much everything socket

There are times you need a wrench for access or to hold the other end of something

Instead of hex keys get this bit driver set to handle hex, torx and screwdriver needs

Then get this pry bar for anything bent or a tire change

Knipex pliers are the best, otherwise some Tekton as you desire

That should get the party started

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Ah ha. Shipwright you say. LOL. I've been following the Tally Ho restoration out there. Very cool. I'll check around and see what I can come up with on the tool thing. Tekton is really really nice. Like some of the best.
Zim
Hi Dave, Hope your having a good day, I am just sitting on the coach with a cup of coffee and my laptop, making the tool list, thanks again for your advice, those 7/8/9 mm bolts are noted and i will make sure i have them in my tool roll! Just wanted to say I have subscribed to you YouTube Channel and will watch your videos later, I hope to be visting friends in Missouri in early October or late November maybe we can meet up and have a coffee or explore a trail? Best wishes Amanda

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hi Dave, Hope your having a good day, I am just sitting on the coach with a cup of coffee and my laptop, making the tool list, thanks again for your advice, those 7/8/9 mm bolts are noted and i will make sure i have them in my tool roll! Just wanted to say I have subscribed to you YouTube Channel and will watch your videos later, I hope to be visting friends in Missouri in early October or late November maybe we can meet up and have a coffee or explore a trail? Best wishes Amanda
Thank you Amanda. We're headed to Springfield MO tomorrow for a few days and then off to Texas for at least a month. We have Doctor Appointments in St. Louis in October so meeting up may be a real possibility. Thanks and we'll keep in touch.
Zim

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Thank you Amanda. We're headed to Springfield MO tomorrow for a few days and then off to Texas for at least a month. We have Doctor Appointments in St. Louis in October so meeting up may be a real possibility. Thanks and we'll keep in touch.
Zim
HI Zim, will do and safe travels, best wishes Amanda

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
I have had great great luck with Tekton tools...
Here are my thoughts, get this set to cover pretty much everything socket

There are times you need a wrench for access or to hold the other end of something

Instead of hex keys get this bit driver set to handle hex, torx and screwdriver needs

Then get this pry bar for anything bent or a tire change

Knipex pliers are the best, otherwise some Tekton as you desire

That should get the party started
Hi Lance, Thanks for the post, glad you like Tekton, I 1st saw them at Overland Expo East in 2018, they had a stand and came across very geniune and care about customers, family focused business. I have been working on and off today the Hex Keys, Ratches, Sockets, Spanners & Wrenches sizes for my rig, this process is facinating as I learn about the tools and sizes required. I hope to post it on the forum to help other GMC sierra / chevy owners with a 1st gen 1500 pick up. I have also messaged Micheal and suggested a new forum section titled tool shed! If I am pasing through Phoenix I let you know and buy you a coffee or two. I intend to explore the Sedona area around Oct/Nov. I keen to meet OB members, when I was travelling in Canada in 2020 it was so cool to meet up and swap stories and trail adventures. Best wishes and have a nice weekend. Amanda :-)

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Hi Amanda!

I run a 99 suburban k2500 and have been trying to pair down my tools (as well as get some that are still needed)

There's a great YouTube series (its to the point) buy "last best tool" where they go through their decision making process on tools. I also have a FB group specific to my model and era GM and see what people there suggest. I imagine you aren't going to go wrong with what you and others have already suggested and over time will pair it down based on the sizes and things you end up never using.

Nice set up.

Amanda C

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Oshawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Cassidy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M7WYO
Service Branch
Royal Navy - Radar
Hi Erich,

Thanks I will check out the channel, yeah i feel I am getting close to bitting the bullet on my 1st set of tools, like they say you have to start somewhere and I know you can never have enough tools. I have renovated the camper shell and I purchased tools as I needed them to do the renovation. Funny when I was working in the Boat Building workshop in Port Townsend when I was renovating and repairing her, the shop was like a candy shop for woodworking. when I left the shop early due to the COVID lock down, I had to head North to Vancouver (made it across the border with 2hrs to spare!) I then made a Home Depot carpark my base for 5 weeks while I continued the build, so you can imagine I bought a fair few tools from Home Depot!

After careful consideration and expense I decided to invest in the M12 range

These are awesome as they are 12volt, they have not let me down!

Any I will sign off now and keep focused on getting my Hex Keys, Ractches, Spanners &I Wrenches sorted for this next trip!

Best wishes

Amanda

Attachments

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hi Erich,

Thanks I will check out the channel, yeah i feel I am getting close to bitting the bullet on my 1st set of tools, like they say you have to start somewhere and I know you can never have enough tools. I have renovated the camper shell and I purchased tools as I needed them to do the renovation. Funny when I was working in the Boat Building workshop in Port Townsend when I was renovating and repairing her, the shop was like a candy shop for woodworking. when I left the shop early due to the COVID lock down, I had to head North to Vancouver (made it across the border with 2hrs to spare!) I then made a Home Depot carpark my base for 5 weeks while I continued the build, so you can imagine I bought a fair few tools from Home Depot!

Any I will sign off now and keep focused on getting my Hex Keys, Ractches, Spanners &I Wrenches sorted for this next trip!

Best wishes

Amanda

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hi Erich,

Best wishes

Amanda