Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hey Joe. Welcome to ham radio and the Friday net!
First, have you seen this link? Echolink App (Android)

Most of us connect via PC / phone / tablet with the echolink app. But there is a growing number connecting through linked repeaters and other RF solutions.
Once your setup in the app, try connecting to conference server node 591550. You can connect anytime. A very helpful ham named Will (W8ILL) is usually there and happy to chat with anyone who connects.
You are welcome to look up my call sign as well and try connecting directly to me.

Anyway, let us know how that goes.
Again, welcome to the group!
Ed N7PHY

BKD Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palm Desert, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Border
Member #

Hello to all, would anybody happen to know a place that I may be able to look into getting my ham license. I live in the Palm Springs area, it would be nice to have something close by. Any suggestions?

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello to all, would anybody happen to know a place that I may be able to look into getting my ham license. I live in the Palm Springs area, it would be nice to have something close by. Any suggestions?
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, they've actually started conducting some test sessions for your Technician License online. You have to have a computer and a camera attached so that you can show them the entire room is empty of other people...just you and your computer. Start your research on How-To here:
Good Luck!

Gurneyjock

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gardner, KS, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kalilikani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6OTM

Most of us connect via PC / phone / tablet with the echolink app. But there is a growing number connecting through linked repeaters and other RF solutions.
Once your setup in the app, try connecting to conference server node 591550. You can connect anytime. A very helpful ham named Will (W8ILL) is usually there and happy to chat with anyone who connects.
You are welcome to look up my call sign as well and try connecting directly to me.

Ed N7PHY
Thank you Ed! I'm now connected on Echilink.

Joe

Gurneyjock

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gardner, KS, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kalilikani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6OTM

Ed N7PHY
Hey Ed,
I downloaded the app and received approval. When I go to stations, and search for node 591550, I get *USA-GNG* (USA Grits n' Gravey. When I try to enter I'm denied. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for the assistance,
Joe

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Hey Ed,
I downloaded the app and received approval. When I go to stations, and search for node 591550, I get *USA-GNG* (USA Grits n' Gravey. When I try to enter I'm denied. Am I doing something wrong?

Joe
The server or the bridge might have been offline temporarily. Give it a little while and try again. It happens from time to time.

Reactions: TerryD

FastLayne

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange, California, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Layne
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IQS
Hey Ed,

Joe
It will take a few days. When I first signed up I got the approval email right away, but didn’t get access for about a week. You will get another email letting you know when you can start accessing the system.

Reactions: Gurneyjock

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
This Weeks Friday Night Overland Bound Net

Topic: Open discussion

Net Control: WD6TED Ted in San Diego, CA

Let's go with just on open topic session. We will do two rounds, the first overlanding focused and the second more ham radio centric. Tell us what's new, bring any questions, whatever. The format is flexible - let's see what happens.

Hope to see everyone this evening (or morning depending on your location)!

-Ted

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello Folks,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound amateur radio net. Our topic this week is "New Ham Q&A" which we host the first Friday of each month. Any radio related questions or topics are welcome.

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Day: Friday (U.S.)
Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET (00:30 UTC)
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to @ru108, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17, @rtexpeditions, or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Hope to catch you on the net Friday!

Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: RoarinRow

Gurneyjock

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Gardner, KS, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kalilikani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6OTM
Hello Folks,
I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound amateur radio net. Our topic this week is "New Ham Q&A" which we host the first Friday of each month. Any radio related questions or topics are welcome.

Time : 17:30 hours PT/2030 hours ET (00:30 UTC)
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to @ru108, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17, @rtexpeditions, or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We could use a few extra hands running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Hope to catch you on the net Friday!

Ed - N7PHY
I finally was able to get in! Will was there and we had a short conversation. I'm not sure if I'll be able to join in tomorrow, I'll see how things go!

Joe

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
We had a great net Friday. Thank you everyone who could join.

Here's a quick summary.
Topic: New HAM Q&A

Check-ins and notes:
N7PHY - NCS

WD6TED - Ted - DMR connection - dmr check in. working out well. DMR rig on sota activation this week, worked well. Will swap out old ht for dmr. Should we have dmr topic night? DMR - anytone makes a dmr mobile rig. And very affordable. Have GPS, APRS, and DMR. To answer what we use radios for while traveling. Had group of 18 rigs on Mojave road, pulling up rear. Could setup talk group specific to caravan.

KD7DAW - Tom - checking in from rainy Florida

AF6FB - Michael - Mobile. Happy to help out with DMR topic night. Info good on qrz. Have intro to dmr presentation (zoom?)

KJ7DJX - Tom - Tuscon at Brien's shop. adding custom ladders and other touches. Use ham radio quite a bit in desert. Beacons to allow others to follow right in.

KI5ETE - Mike - Enjoying conversation. 1st time on net.

NB9D - Neal - DMR topic near and dear. Most interesting and most challenging with code plugs. Had uv380 but dropped on ice. Finding a lot of cool digital modes in amateur radio. Congrats to Joe on new house. (living the American dream) Q: recommendations for bed liner kit? From KN4YRX-LineX recommended.

KM6GWU - Dan - Making adjustments to rig preparing for Mojave and death valley trip. Q: how do we use ham radio on road? Note, 146.520 national calling freq.

KO4BDT - Mike - Monitoring this evening.

KJ7KPP - Colton - antenna suggestions for vehicle: tape measure yagi, emergency coax antenna for 2m,

KT4OZ - Terry - Use aprs to send info and messages out. Monitor 146.520, will connect with sota activations and others. Emergency coax antennas also work well of 440mhz. 19.25" length. Ground plane ant mounted on garage again so can listen to radio in garage. Vehicle - added tablet mount, will try tomorrow. Started construction on xtera drawers.

KM4PJN - Jimmy - Would like to know how to use dmr to join the net. Getting ready for tomorrows ride.

AA1PR - Michael - Cordially invite everyone to venture overland dmr channel. Run 54" mast and 100+" whip. Like to play hf on trail. would like to try aprs also.

W8ILL - Will - Monitoring 10 m and CB. Haven't used HT in awhile. Bedliner - purchases bed liner with truck. Back from hospital after operation.

K7XPO - Brien - Busy at the shop but going camping in mountains to escape heat. (112 deg)

KV4UO - Joe - Staying at home nursing injuries. Bought a new house this year.

VK7VWK - Randall - Cool day in Tasmania. Free to travel pretty much anywhere. DMR have any value in a mobile rig? AA1PR finds he doesn't want a dmr mobile rig. Prefers HT and hotspot in rig. Problem when loses cell coverage.

KJ7MUE - Jack - playing with new 7300. Delivered quickly. Setting up 10m antenna. Been out of radio for 30 yrs. Saw a video 4 mo's ago of 7300 and convinced to get back in ham radio. 1st time on net.

KG5FRQ - Gardner - Thinking about current events. Very hot in NM today.

KM6YSL - Michael - Have channel on youtube. Tonight's topic is radio comms on the trail. Encourage folks to get ham license.

KN4YRX - Alejandro - 1st time on net. Rcvd cable to play with aprs.

KJ4UGX - Nick - APRS near and dear, 5 miles from ap trail. Runs digipeater nearby. DMR answer; dmr is encoding vs protocol. If popular, will respond well to other encodings. Echo LIne-X and Rhino Liner as really good liners. 1st time on net.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello again everybody,
I hope you are all staying healthy and safe. I'll be your net control this week for the Overland Bound amateur radio net. This week we'll be discussing the upcoming Field Day (June 27, 28), specifically if you are taking your gear off-road this year.
Here's a link to the ARRL Field Day site for more information. Field Day

Very soon we will be hosting a DMR net topic and possibly zoom session with the help of AF6FB. Keep your ears open for that one.

Here are the details for joining our weekly net:

Time : 17:30 hours PT / 2030 hours ET / 00:30 UTC

A GREAT how-to article on getting started with Echolink can be found HERE.

As always, if anyone would like to assist as net controller, please reach out to @ru108, @12poundtest , @TerryD , @Brentc17, @rtexpeditions, or @MTN RNR and we'll get you set up. We would appreciate any help running the net on Friday nights and would be happy to get you up to speed and into the rotation.

Have a great evening everyone. Hope to catch you on the air tomorrow!

Ed - N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who could make the Friday net this week. We had a great discussion about Field Day and other Ham radio topics.
Hope to catch you all again soon.
73! - Ed

Notes from the net:

K7XPOBrienAZfor FD this year. Last 3 years did outing with U of A radio club. Solo and may end up on sota summit. Will try CW only this year. Q: 12' ft ceilings and looking to hang hf antenna in shop. (?)
VA2EEKDonCanadaHot sunny days in QE. Have a week to ramp up. Thinking of going mobile. 75/40/20/15/10 hustler resonators. But rules changed so may operate from home. Signal link to decode FT8, would like to hook up. Rules for ARRL field day are many. best to watch if new to FD the first time. Makes sense once you have seen it once or twice. Looking at deep cycle battery (marine rv) 500 cranking amps. Ideas for antenna - along roof line don't get legs too close together. Watch how feed line departs from antenna to avoid RF on coax. Had wire in attic (70') but bended. No sharp bends and watch feed lines. Look at antenna tuner for compromise antenna. Jealous of mt top operating.
KM6GWUDanaCAHave not participated in FD. Listened to a conversation and might observe FD setup of a group. Studying for general exam. HF is down the road. Q: If I wanted to contact the net with radio, how?
KJ7AMRDanaNVNo FD this year. Haven't heard from the club. Thought for pilot license; am a pilot. Happiest days is buying and selling your plane. Fun thing to do but have to aware of cost.
WD6TEDTedCAGoing to summit of Santa Rosa peak (8k ft). Requires a little 4WD. Going with friend, 2nd vehicle. Bringing Honda gen. KX2, KXpa100 amp, sota equip. Antennas, 6m, 2m, 70cm, screwdriver ant. Friend will work phone and data, Ted to work CW. New anytone radio so will play with DMR simplex and Elk. Run 80' random wire in yard for main antenna. Connected to net over DMR a couple of weeks ago. Probably easiest way if you have a DMR radio to connect the net.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaDoing fine, weather been cool (winter). Don't have FD in Australia. Indoor ant is interesting but have metal roof.
KJ7AXSBobAZHave not done FD yet, licensed a year or two. Have backup batt in ammo can getting setup to do similar.
K1CJMCharlesNVMobile only. Will check out FD.
NZ1ONJamesCANet been on calendar - first check in. Been overlanding for a year and ham for many years. Outdoors for Fresno ARES using overlanding gear. Kids are all licensed as well.
W8ILLWillMIDoing great. Outside working on antenna. Got it higher and will try it again tomorrow.
VK2DYRobertAustraliaCold day but sunny (55F). Might get down to freezing tonight. DMR network in Aus is on DMR+ (repeaters). Have to use a dongle to get into DMR network but works OK. For antennas, enjoy mag loop antennas. Fussy but are magic when they work.

TIER 7

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
J
Last Name
T
Thank you everyone who could make the Friday net this week. We had a great discussion about Field Day and other Ham radio topics.
Hope to catch you all again soon.
73! - Ed

Notes from the net:

K7XPOBrienAZfor FD this year. Last 3 years did outing with U of A radio club. Solo and may end up on sota summit. Will try CW only this year. Q: 12' ft ceilings and looking to hang hf antenna in shop. (?)
VA2EEKDonCanadaHot sunny days in QE. Have a week to ramp up. Thinking of going mobile. 75/40/20/15/10 hustler resonators. But rules changed so may operate from home. Signal link to decode FT8, would like to hook up. Rules for ARRL field day are many. best to watch if new to FD the first time. Makes sense once you have seen it once or twice. Looking at deep cycle battery (marine rv) 500 cranking amps. Ideas for antenna - along roof line don't get legs too close together. Watch how feed line departs from antenna to avoid RF on coax. Had wire in attic (70') but bended. No sharp bends and watch feed lines. Look at antenna tuner for compromise antenna. Jealous of mt top operating.
KM6GWUDanaCAHave not participated in FD. Listened to a conversation and might observe FD setup of a group. Studying for general exam. HF is down the road. Q: If I wanted to contact the net with radio, how?
KJ7AMRDanaNVNo FD this year. Haven't heard from the club. Thought for pilot license; am a pilot. Happiest days is buying and selling your plane. Fun thing to do but have to aware of cost.
WD6TEDTedCAGoing to summit of Santa Rosa peak (8k ft). Requires a little 4WD. Going with friend, 2nd vehicle. Bringing Honda gen. KX2, KXpa100 amp, sota equip. Antennas, 6m, 2m, 70cm, screwdriver ant. Friend will work phone and data, Ted to work CW. New anytone radio so will play with DMR simplex and Elk. Run 80' random wire in yard for main antenna. Connected to net over DMR a couple of weeks ago. Probably easiest way if you have a DMR radio to connect the net.
VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaDoing fine, weather been cool (winter). Don't have FD in Australia. Indoor ant is interesting but have metal roof.
KJ7AXSBobAZHave not done FD yet, licensed a year or two. Have backup batt in ammo can getting setup to do similar.
K1CJMCharlesNVMobile only. Will check out FD.
NZ1ONJamesCANet been on calendar - first check in. Been overlanding for a year and ham for many years. Outdoors for Fresno ARES using overlanding gear. Kids are all licensed as well.
W8ILLWillMIDoing great. Outside working on antenna. Got it higher and will try it again tomorrow.
VK2DYRobertAustraliaCold day but sunny (55F). Might get down to freezing tonight. DMR network in Aus is on DMR+ (repeaters). Have to use a dongle to get into DMR network but works OK. For antennas, enjoy mag loop antennas. Fussy but are magic when they work.
Thanks for hosting the Net, Ed. You are a great net control operator.

It was great to hear everyone and be able to check in finally. It’s really great to have such wonderful hobbies intersect. I look forward to talking to and meeting fellow licensees on the trails and on the air.

73!

James

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thanks for hosting the Net, Ed. You are a great net control operator.

It was great to hear everyone and be able to check in finally. It’s really great to have such wonderful hobbies intersect. I look forward to talking to and meeting fellow licensees on the trails and on the air.

73!

James
Really glad you could make it James!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello everyone,
I'll be your net control tonight for the Overland Bound amateur radio net. It's open topic tonight so feel free to come in with anything you'd like to discuss.

Time : 17:30 hours PT / 2030 hours ET / 00:30 UTC

A GREAT how-to article on getting started with Echolink can be found HERE.

As always, if you would like to assist as net controller, please leave a comment here and we'll get you set up.

Be safe everyone. Hope to catch you on the net!

Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: Rovingmedic

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thanks everyone for joining tonight. No notes tonight but will list check-in stations.
Best of luck to everyone participating in Field Day activities!
73 - Ed N7PHY

Check-in stations:
KT4OZ Terry
W7BR Brent
KJ7DUE Kim
W8ILL Will
KJ7KPP Colton
K5LFE Carl
K5TIN Shane
AA1PR Mike
VK7VWK Randall
K7XPO Brien