Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

This pdf was the single best resource I found to help me pass the test. Actually, it's an update to the 2010 version I used. It reads as if someone is just talking to you, but not in way that you're bombarded with super technical info. It incorporates the questions into the narrative and the answers come naturally with it. When I read through it a couple times, I started taking practice exams through an app on my phone. It's able to track what sections you do well, and need improvement on, so you don't waste time studying a section you have a good grasp with.

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf

Attachments

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

Just my 2 Cent's look at ham test online its what I used when I sat for and passed the Tech and General tests back in 2013.
Congratz and 73's N7UAX

Reactions: Sean S

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
This pdf was the single best resource I found to help me pass the test. Actually, it's an update to the 2010 version I used. It reads as if someone is just talking to you, but not in way that you're bombarded with super technical info. It incorporates the questions into the narrative and the answers come naturally with it. When I read through it a couple times, I started taking practice exams through an app on my phone. It's able to track what sections you do well, and need improvement on, so you don't waste time studying a section you have a good grasp with.

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2014-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v20.pdf
This PDF study guide is a great start, far less daunting than the Arrl handbook. Once you've read through the study guide I highly recommend doing flash cards on hamstudy.org. Practice tests are okay but it's difficult to see the whole question pool that way. The flash cards ensure you see all the questions and tracks your aptitude. Once your over 90% you are certain to pass.

K2JTM

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
I used a free app called Ham Radio Exam-Tech by Roy Watson. I studied for a couple weeks throughout the day and had no problems passing the test. I took the exam yesterday and should have my call sign tomorrow. Now to find a local club and learn more!

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
I used a free app called Ham Radio Exam-Tech by Roy Watson. I studied for a couple weeks throughout the day and had no problems passing the test. I took the exam yesterday and should have my call sign tomorrow. Now to find a local club and learn more!
Congratulation on passing the test. I think that it took me about two weeks to find out my callsign even though I had followed the guidance of my local ham club and already registered in the Universal Licensing System (ULS) and created an FCC Registration Number (FRN). It all depends when the test center where you took the test electronically lodges the paperwork with the FCC. I was told at the time that they usually upload the results within a day or two, depending on the number of hams who were testing during the session I attended. I also passed the test just before President's Day, which added an extra day of processing delay to my wait. I was anxiously looking at all the new callsign assignments every day until it finally appeared. Welcome to the Ham family and 73! Sean/KM6AQT

Reactions: beck4u

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
I thought I'd add a Canadian perspective to the ham licensing experience. I'd been looking at various YouTube videos and ham blogs for a while and had wanted to take a class for a few years. I was at a local radio/GPS store and saw a poster for a class so signed up for it.

It was waaay more involved / detailed than I'd expected. The class was every Monday evening for 12 weeks and covered waaay more information than I'd expected. I have zero electronics background and expected some basic theory, but I got a lot more than just that. I loved the class and learned a ton, but an awful lot of it was way over my head and happened to be at the same time work got insanely busy. Needless to say, I didn't pass the exam but it's something I certainly want to do sometime in the future.

The other surprise I got was that for the first level Canadian license, the exam is 120 questions based on a question pool of around 1000 questions. That pretty much ruled out just trying to memorize the answers. :) I'd also like to properly understand things, not just memorize answers.

One day.... :)

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
Old Thread I know, But I thought I would give a little on my experience.
I was reading about various Comm options and methods on ITS Tactical Last year and one mentioned was HAM, I thought I should get a book, ARRL prep guide, and read up, so I went through the Tech Manual last August (2016) but didn't pursue a license at the time. Fast forward to this September or so I decided to pursue it again, found that the closest test date was 11/10, so I decided that the first thing to do was to grab the book again and take a bunch of practice tests, I like AA9PW's Site for them, gives the ability to take full length practice tests, about the time I started to get 80% or more every time I took one and having done some reading on here I decided to go ahead and order the Gordon West General class prep book. I got that on 10/24/17. In the end I passed both Element 2 and 3(General).

This thread and my experience led to me think I should share a little of my thoughts on the two manuals and how they differ for me(what works and what didn't work for me):
First: I highly recommend AA9PW's web site for practice tests, while I did see questions on both elements I took that I had not seen in the practice tests, I liked and found that site very helpful.
Second: For me and my way of learning I found that the ARRL book worked better for me, because all the questions are in it in the back by sub element, in numerical order. This is better for my method of study in that I could take a test and if I didn't know the answer, I could look up the question and find the pages the information to get a better understanding.
Third: This is not to say that I dislike the Gordon West Book, it is written much better for straight reading, it is laid out very logically, with questions bundled by subject rather than being by sub element. In a perfect world I would have both, but I cannot justify to myself having both books.

Now on to reading the ARRL Element 4(Extra) book.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
My 2 cents... once you get your Technician, keep pushing to secure that General. You are already in that study mode and the material builds of off what you just learned.

I got into HAM basically as a back up comm option while off the grid. It's great to be able to connect with someone in your group via simplex or over the repeater. But sometimes you are out of repeater range or blocked a bit (line of sight). That's where the General ticket comes in. More options for you to communicate. For example, I can get on 2om and connect to an email server to send and receive emails in the middle of nowhere. That's a pretty nice option to have. Getting the General isn't that much tougher... just takes a bit of time to study.

My other piece of advice is to connect with other HAMs, especially in the overlanding community. It dawned on my pretty quickly that even though I had the ability to contact someone over the radio (probably a stranger), that it would be a far greater help to be able to connect with someone that could assist you if you were in need. Getting advice or other assistance while remote is huge if you need it. My wife and I usually travel solo on our trips, which brings an element of risk I know. That's why I try to be prepared, 6 ways from Sunday to have a way to fix things should we encounter a problem. But wouldn't it be nice to send an email to your buddy or vice versa if either one of you were in need of help? That's what I really like about this community. When you sign up your become part of a community that is willing to help. I would actually love to get a call / email from a forum member in need and be able to help if I could.

I've always pretty much been a forum lurker.. never really engaging much, just looking at other peoples posts. But am now making a better effort to get involved and hopefully share some of the things I have learned along the way. 73!!

Reactions: Sierrahotel83

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
My 2 cents... once you get your Technician, keep pushing to secure that General. You are already in that study mode and the material builds of off what you just learned.

I got into HAM basically as a back up comm option while off the grid. It's great to be able to connect with someone in your group via simplex or over the repeater. But sometimes you are out of repeater range or blocked a bit (line of sight). That's where the General ticket comes in. More options for you to communicate. For example, I can get on 2om and connect to an email server to send and receive emails in the middle of nowhere. That's a pretty nice option to have. Getting the General isn't that much tougher... just takes a bit of time to study.

My other piece of advice is to connect with other HAMs, especially in the overlanding community. It dawned on my pretty quickly that even though I had the ability to contact someone over the radio (probably a stranger), that it would be a far greater help to be able to connect with someone that could assist you if you were in need. Getting advice or other assistance while remote is huge if you need it. My wife and I usually travel solo on our trips, which brings an element of risk I know. That's why I try to be prepared, 6 ways from Sunday to have a way to fix things should we encounter a problem. But wouldn't it be nice to send an email to your buddy or vice versa if either one of you were in need of help? That's what I really like about this community. When you sign up your become part of a community that is willing to help. I would actually love to get a call / email from a forum member in need and be able to help if I could.

I've always pretty much been a forum lurker.. never really engaging much, just looking at other peoples posts. But am now making a better effort to get involved and hopefully share some of the things I have learned along the way. 73!!
Thats the same thought I had in reference to studying for the Extra Exam... might as well just get it done and have all the possible freqs available

Mlbdriver

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tuckerton, NJ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Corbisiero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC2WAO
Service Branch
USCG
Ive had my license for a few years but haven't bought a radio yet. plan on getting one soon, prob start with a hand held. any advice on which one?

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Passed my Technician HAM test this week!! It was super easy with just a bit of studying. First I read a HAM book by Gordon West and attended a "class" given by the local HAM chapter. When I had the basics down, I just went through the entire question pool 2 times (https://hamexam.org/view_pool/9-Technician) for basic practice, then I did a few "real" practice tests.
Ended up completing hte test in about 10-15 minutes, and only missed 2 questions!!

Now... How to convert theory into PRACTICE!!
:tired:

Reactions: brien and TRL EATR

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Now... How to convert theory into PRACTICE!!
:tired:
Search for a club or clubs in your local area and join a meeting. Many universities will also have amateur radio clubs that allow community members to join. Just show up and let people know you are a recently licensed ham. Chances are the class you took and the exam you took were both run by local clubs, for example. If you haven't done so yet, pick up a cheap Baofeng radio from amazon to at least get you something to start playing around with.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Search for a club or clubs in your local area and join a meeting. Many universities will also have amateur radio clubs that allow community members to join. Just show up and let people know you are a recently licensed ham. Chances are the class you took and the exam you took were both run by local clubs, for example. If you haven't done so yet, pick up a cheap Baofeng radio from amazon to at least get you something to start playing around with.
UV-82HP being delivered tomorrow...
Along w/ programming cable and a Diamond antenna

Reactions: brien