Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

What Band(s) do you have available to you in your Overland rig? What thought process lead you to picking this/these band(s)?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Similar to my answer in the HT/Mobile/Both thread. I have HF --> 70cm capabilities. With one exception at 1.25M (220mhz).

I actually enjoy operating HF while I'm at camp, as typically the bands are far quieter than they are while in the City. I also like knowing that no matter how remote I am, it's unlikely I'll ever find myself with zero ability to communicate.

However VHF and UHF are far more practical for local vehicle to vehicle, and vehicle to camp communications. I have both 2m and 70cm because they're both very prevalent in Texas, and finally because being able to operate the HT at 0.5W, on 70cm and then relay through the truck on 2M at 50W is a very effective way to conserve the HTs battery, and limit the amount of heat.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
I run all three
The main one would be UHF over here we have a 80 ch allocation in the 477mhz band for public use so most 4wds operate on this when out and about for general chat and we also have a uhf repeater network within the 80ch

VHF- i use for ham stuff plus its my local fire radio

HF - We have a HF Radio Network,which is a national 4wd radio network which provides emergency and general radio communications assistance services to people who live, work or travel in rural and remote areas of Australia (http://www.vks737.on.net/)

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

its 2m and CB in the van I am looking for a cheap HF radio to play with in camp...

Reactions: Lars

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have a Yaesu 857 that can work "all bands/all modes" so I can do HF/VHF/UHF as well as 11m (CB) and GMRS.

I mostly run VHF for Tail Communications and then break out to HF when I am mountain topping.

Reactions: Whiskey Compass

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
Running the ICOM 706mkIIg, HF/vhf/UHF. Also CB and bearcat scanner that scans 25mhz to 1000mhz including cb and aircraft AM. Still thinking about adding an SDR, but not sure how I want to interface it (PC or android).

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I run 2m, 440, and a CB

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

When I am on the road I am usually traveling with a couple FRS Motorola talkabouts. I also like to bring my CB handpack in the cab, and I also have a multiband Baofeng that I am looking to get dialed in for GRMS band. I would love to go radio crazy in the cab but don't want to tear up my interior too badly.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
When I am on the road I am usually traveling with a couple FRS Motorola talkabouts. I also like to bring my CB handpack in the cab, and I also have a multiband Baofeng that I am looking to get dialed in for GRMS band. I would love to go radio crazy in the cab but don't want to tear up my interior too badly.
I have a Baofeng with all the FRS and GMRS freqs in it. Also a separate FRS/gmrs radio. CB, VHF/UHF and when I fix my ICOM, HF.

Reactions: Meta6981

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I have a Baofeng with all the FRS and GMRS freqs in it. Also a separate FRS/gmrs radio. CB, VHF/UHF and when I fix my ICOM, HF.
I have all the frs, grms, murs freqs, need to talk to my freind with a programming cable to get it in. I also have it set up to monitor local police/fire freqs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
I intend to run the Yaesu 857 when I get around to it. The thought of running two different antennas annoys me.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I currently have a TYT TY-9800 I just picked up in my Xterra and an Icom IC-2100H in my truck. I want Kenwood TM-D710GA in both eventually and would like to have a TS-480SAT in the Xterra for HF+6. But that's a ways down the road yet.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Kenwood TM-281 2M
Cobra 18WX STll CB
Icom IC-45 Marine VHF
Standard Horizon HX-460 marine VHF handheld
Baofeng HP82 2M handheld, in backpack
Baofeng GT3-TP 2M handheld, in backpack
Standard Horizon Eclipse marine VHF, in the skiff

Last edited:

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I am still working on moving everything over from my other truck but I have a Kenwood TM-D710A AND a Yaesu 857D. These two radios give me all amateur bands and most modes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
What Band(s) do you have available to you in your Overland rig? What thought process lead you to picking this/these band(s)?
I've been reading about HAM radios on this forum and, in particular, your posts ... I read in one of your posts where you wrote about the BaoFeng BF-F8HP ... Would you please elaborate on the pros and cons of this radio? I am a complete novice and am wanting something entry level while I learn about HAM and prepare to take the exam.

Thank you

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I intend to run the Yaesu 857 when I get around to it. The thought of running two different antennas annoys me.
Sorry. Kind of catching up.

I run an 857 and love it. Once I start doing HF I really don't spend a lot of time on repeaters any more unless I am doing a service event.

I use a typical dual band antenna. For UHF/VHF. One of the Diamond ones. For HF I take a quiver of Ham Sticks for the band's I want to work. They work great and are cheap enough that I don't get to upset if I bang one on a tree. When I am just out wheeling I run a cheap'o truck stop CB antenna. I can use this to listen in on the bands to see if anything is happening. If I do hear something I put up the better antenna and off we go.

I also keep an NVIS wire antenna on hand that can double as a close to matching vertical if needed.

It is not as sexy as some riggs but is dam durable and I have talked around the world with this set up.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sorry. Kind of catching up.

I run an 857 and love it. Once I start doing HF I really don't spend a lot of time on repeaters any more unless I am doing a service event.

I use a typical dual band antenna. For UHF/VHF. One of the Diamond ones. For HF I take a quiver of Ham Sticks for the band's I want to work. They work great and are cheap enough that I don't get to upset if I bang one on a tree. When I am just out wheeling I run a cheap'o truck stop CB antenna. I can use this to listen in on the bands to see if anything is happening. If I do hear something I put up the better antenna and off we go.

I also keep an NVIS wire antenna on hand that can double as a close to matching vertical if needed.

It is not as sexy as some riggs but is dam durable and I have talked around the world with this set up.

What mount are you running on the drivers side? I have a similar mount to your passenger side one on my Xterra but have been looking for something to hold hamsticks or even a 102" CB antenna.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Same thing, just lower. It puts the 1/4 wave CB whip at the same height as the UHF/VHF.

I played around with a longer whip with the mount on the rear step. I thought I could do this with tuner but could never get it to work very well on most bands.

Reactions: TerryD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
What mount are you running on the drivers side? I have a similar mount to your passenger side one on my Xterra but have been looking for something to hold hamsticks or even a 102" CB antenna.
I took some pictures of the mounts for you.