Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Ok, so I have a coleman burner/grill that I take everywhere when I camp.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Coleman-Signature-Portable-Propane-Grill/Stove&i=929854
I REALLY love to cook over wood and coals.
For me the smokey Joe was too small for group meals but... I just saw that weber has a "Jumbo Joe".
It's an 18 or so inch version of the smaller grill. Has anyone tried that?

Most of the time I cook over the campfire as long as there isn't a fire ban using a swiveling grate over the fire.
http://www.kotulas.com/deals/outdoor-living/camping-and-hiking-gear/bobaque-360-swivel-outdoor-grill

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Well, I talked myself out of the Jumbo Joe.
Really, for packing as light as possible in my FJ, it wouldn't have fit.
If worse comes to worse, I'll take a bag of charcoal with me and put that in the firepit.
I'll stick to my propane and/or wood while out on the trail.

Reactions: RoadTrip1

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We had great success doing a lot of meal prep before hitting the trail on our recent 10 day NM/CO run. The wife did a mix of pre-cooked and non-pre-cooked options which gave us options depending on how easy it was to find and setup camp. We invested in a vacuum sealer which gave us peace of mind that things wouldn't spoil as quick as they typically would in the packaging from the store.

We are frequently in areas where fire bans are in place so we have moved to propane as our cooking fuel which is fast and reliable. We even use a propane campfire since it is fire-ban legal and doesn't make everything smell like smoke (the wife's request, not mine!). ;)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Volcano Grill? Some people love them and some don't. You can do all 3 fuel types.

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

Much prefer cooking over an open fire but with fire bans went on a grill search. First saw a Weber Q on a Ronny Dahl youtube video and bought one. Have been been very happy with how it performs and the food tastes great. As an added bonus, my wife has figured out how to bake cookies in it!

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Much prefer cooking over an open fire but with fire bans went on a grill search. First saw a Weber Q on a Ronny Dahl youtube video and bought one. Have been been very happy with how it performs and the food tastes great. As an added bonus, my wife has figured out how to bake cookies in it!
I've got a coleman propane stove that's one burner and one grill grate on the side. I love it.
It's pretty much for burn ban situations and heating stuff in pots, coffee, etc.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I use a combo of a tembo tusk skottle and a single burner cadac safari grille. I have found that since getting the skottle I only ever use the 's Dad to hear water for coffee, which could easily be doe by removing the single burner from the skottle and using it to heat the water pot.. So I may end up only packing the skottle from now on.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I'm curious about the Snow Peak Firepit as well. It's not cheap, but it looks pretty cool. And, I work about 2 blocks from one of only 2 stores in the U.S.
I bought the large one this summer. Ive used it every time ive had chance too , yes expensive but really good value and the constrution materials are top class. The carry bagg provide too flimsy but i had a heavy duty canvass one made Take a look on the aussy site drifter on you tube , we only heve one store in the uk that stocks

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Any one else got a SNOW PEAK FIRE PIT Grill and cook then sit around the fire check out drifter on youtube to see the set up sorry dont k now how to put links up
I love the snow peak fire pit but it's big $$ I'm cheap.. Take a look at Craigslist for washing machine tubs.. They take up more room but are pretty awesome for cooking and campfire...

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I love the snow peak fire pit but it's big $$ I'm cheap.. Take a look at Craigslist for washing machine tubs.. They take up more room but are pretty awesome for cooking and campfire...
Ive used washing mashine tubs. Just to big and bulky to carry and when used dirty
Yes the snow peak is £££££ but. Am hoping to get a long life out of it I use other methords but nothing like sitting round a fire cooking Meat Will even take a dutch oven

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Ive used washing mashine tubs. Just to big and bulky to carry and when used dirty
Yes the snow peak is £££££ but. Am hoping to get a long life out of it I use other methords but nothing like sitting round a fire cooking Meat Will even take a dutch oven
I'll agree with that.. Washer tubs are bulky and dirty.. Being that I have a pickup with an 8 foot bed, I often forget not everyone has the options for outside storage.

BrunySpec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canberra, Australia
Member #

Timely,

Our family is overlanding Tasmania for 4 weeks in January so I have been looking for something flatpack (instead of a cut down 44) and found a few examples for sale on evilbay. These were what I was after but decided I would knock up one myself and save some coin.

Found some plans online (google is your friend here) and fabbed up one smaller and a little stouter. I work for metal fab company so raided the offcut bin. I used 1.9mm Zinc Aneal instead of 3mm plate to keep weight down.

Original plans are detailed at 600x250x300, ours ended up 400x300x310 as I had a spare BBQ plate to suit (so that became my dimensions).

I'm sure it will warp a little (dont pour water on it) but given it took an hour and material was free im pretty happy with the result. Best part is as one of the longer panels is 5mm deeper than the other it creates an overlap, keeping the coals off the ground... A requirement for most AUS campsites.

This will be used as a campfire and additionally with the BBQ plate as our secondary cooking method.

Apologies for the insta HDR, if there is interest I'd gladly upload the plans.

20161120_105128-01.jpeg
20161120_105057-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Awesome thanks! Now to convert 9mm to inches hahaha.. And find appropriate material to use.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm not sure, but I don't think you want to be grilling over something zinc anodized.

BrunySpec

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canberra, Australia
Member #

Hi Steve,

Yes im thinking it will require a burn off or two using anneal, been advised it should be ok with such an open configuration. Im going to pre weather it and give it a review after checking data sheet further. Definately wont be using the family as guinea pigs.

Reactions: Steve