Cooking methods

• Total voters

Nullifier

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

15211 MerlinPark Pl Lithia, Fl
Member #

For our grill I run. Weber Q1200 in conjunction with a lodge chiefs platter. I can 90% of our meals on this combo. It is currently complimented by a colman 2 burner stove but since all I ever do is boil on it I am looking at other options. Oh i also run a lodge dutch oven.

Reactions: Patriot

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

I need to get new on the go cooking gear, last one I had was my whisper lite that I used for backpacking (loved that little guy too). Love the saucer/disk cooker (looks highly portable) would love to cook on one.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I recently purchased a Solo Stove Campfire on deal. It's a great fire pit for cooking over. For grilling, I bought a stainless steel, round grate which I guess is typically used for hibachi. The grill has three "legs" which fits pretty well over the Solo Stove to prevent the grate from slipping off. Throw in some lit coals into the Solo Stove, pop on the grate and we are pretty much good to go. We're only a family of three so cookouts, especially grilling, isn't a whole ordeal so this setup works. After we're done with the grilling, the grate can be popped into a ziplock bag after its cooled off. Then the Solo Stove can hold a small campfire.

Reactions: dziner

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

My wife "The Boss" prefers a civilized dinner most nights so I bring along our Japanese Grill table. Packs up small and runs off the Butane Canisters that are pretty cheap. Usually a pot of steamed rice sits next to the grill and stays warm during dinner. We rarely camp without sliced Brisket, I think we eat better at camp then home lol.

View attachment 14481
That's a nice set up!

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
I try not to overthink it. I usually plan to cook everything on a fire but plans change or I want coffee ASAP in the AM so in those cases I use an old Coleman 2- burner stove that I got at an Army/Navy store ~20 years ago.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

My wife "The Boss" prefers a civilized dinner most nights so I bring along our Japanese Grill table. Packs up small and runs off the Butane Canisters that are pretty cheap. Usually a pot of steamed rice sits next to the grill and stays warm during dinner. We rarely camp without sliced Brisket, I think we eat better at camp then home lol.
Whoa, that Japanese Grill Table is very cool. Now I want to make a round folding table to go 'round a Skottle grill.

Reactions: sabjku

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It all depends on who, how many, how long the trip. I know a fridge/freezer dual zone would open so many new options, and leave the door open to more Fresh Food selections over prepackaged store selections. Just a weekend excursion makes the zip-loc bag prep, easier, as only 3 meals are likely involving a stove.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I agree that it is had to beat cooking over a hot bed of coals. I take some Apple Wood with me when fires are legal to use. Makes a great bed of coals to cook on. And steaks just seem to taste better! But with all the fires the Western States have had the last couple of years, I came up with a portable mid size BBQ Grill. Got this from Sportsman Warehouse. Vance.
58197830-F173-4803-8D9F-66F46CA8E4DD.jpeg B18121D4-D63C-4A86-93D6-AA60469D7D33.jpeg

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

Im also trying to lighten up packing thr fj, or atleast make room for different stuff. Gonna ditch the small propane bbq for a small burner. The bbq frequently stays in the truck anyway and we fire cook.

Reactions: dziner

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I've tried many grills over the years as well as campfire cooking. Living out west, I've settled on a Weber Q. Safe, sane, reasonably priced, and does a good, not great job. Like much in life, it's a compromise but a pretty good one in this case.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I use an old, 25 year, Coleman 2 burner but man I'm really liking the Blackstone 17". My only question with it is, can you put a coffe percolator on it or do you need another source of fire to boil with?