Dane_Bowers

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Bowers
Hi, I’ve been interested in Overlanding for a bit. I know in North America gas is the predominant go-to type of fuel, but I was wondering, is diesel or gas easier to find in Africa, Europe and Asia. I plan to tour around these continents, and I was wondering what type of fuel is easier to come across in each of them. Thanks

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have no real experience or edumacated opinions here. But EarthCruiser has switched to the 6 litre GM V-8 gas powered motor in their Fuso chassis for what it's worth. They must see something beneficial in a gas powered unit for world travel, over diesel.

Dane_Bowers

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Bowers
I have no real experience or edumacated opinions here. But EarthCruiser has switched to the 6 litre GM V-8 gas powered motor in their Fuso chassis for what it's worth. They must see something beneficial in a gas powered unit for world travel, over diesel.
Thanks, that’s something to think about

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Getting Gas or Diesel in other countries is hit and miss. 3rd world countries the "Gas Station" may be a guy selling it from an old oil drum in his yard. However in more developed countries both seem to be readily available. Most places have had both gas and diesel car/trucks and the need for both is great.
However, be careful with Diesel. New trucks/cars sold in the USA, Canada and much of Europe require Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel(ULSD). When you head south of the boarder it is not readily available. This is one reason the the big Overland rig makes are using gas, ULSD is just not as available as gas.
Before you set out to buy that fancy new Diesel truck, check the countries you plan to visit to see if ULSD is sold.
If you have an old Diesel, it is not an issue. The change took place in the last 10-15 years. So, if you drive a 80-90's Diesel there is not an issue. Most of those trucks will burn any carbon based liquid you want to dump in the tank, from JP8 to veggie oil.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

It's not because a gas engine is better for world travel, it's because of the new Diesel emissions standards/ultra-low sulphur fuel/DEF fluid/etc. So, ideally, you run an older diesel truck.
Agree. Reliability is lower for diesel equipped trucks in the US than gasoline trucks nowadays because of the emissions equipment. For the best in reliability I'd stick with a naturally aspirated gas engine.

Reactions: Dane_Bowers

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Gas and Diesel is equally available all over Europe in highest possible quality standards.
Only far north in skandinavia diesel may be harder to get.
Africa both is equally available but in lower standards, many African countries are already selling low Sulphur diesel but be aware of water in the fuel.
Can't really say something about Asia.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Or if your afraid of the def system and dont want to use uls, you still want a new diesel and you dont live in a nanny state that requires emissions testing , delete the dpf system block off the egr and get a tune for it . That wont help you find the diesel but will allow you to run anything from agricultural (red) diesel, highway ulsd (green) diesel to aircraft fuel.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Another thing about the red agricultural diesel is if your in the usa and you put it in a highway vehicle your risk a really big fine the reason isnt really a higher sulphur content its because ag diesel is tax free and road diesel isnt. In many places there is no difference between the two aside from the dye. Back in 2014 the co-op started letting us know that ag diesel was being switched to the ultra low sulphur stuff and that we would need to start putting lubricants stabilizers and antimicrobials in our storage tanks. So even if youve got a old diesel engine ive got no idea where your going to find the old diesel fuel in the united states atleast. Your only option here if you have a old diesel is to blend home heating oil and ulsd yourself or buy an additive lubricant to put in your tank. My older 70s diesel tractors with no get a few drops of used motor oil everytime i fill the tank and have yet to have any problems with the 15ppm sulphur stuff. And for those of you who dont know yet what def is, diesel exhaust fluid is just 67.5% water and 32.5% urea aka piss.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Or if your afraid of the def system and dont want to use uls, you still want a new diesel and you dont live in a nanny state that requires emissions testing , delete the dpf system block off the egr and get a tune for it . That wont help you find the diesel but will allow you to run anything from agricultural (red) diesel, highway ulsd (green) diesel to aircraft fuel.
Just make sure if you go that route that it is a custom tune and the tuner

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Another reason for this could be that a Fuso could be considered a commercial vehicle and as such subject to greater scrutiny and non compliant diesels are banned from certain areas. So if you do a delete you open yourself up to lots of potential issues (fines and even impounds). But I agree its most likely just for reliability out of the box. Honestly if I were to go into really remote areas I would want a mechanical diesel. The biggest reason being is they will run on damn near anything so long as it will flow adequately through the injection pumps.