Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've seen the "4runner owners registry" and "Jeep owners represent" threads, Subis have one too, I think! So far Frontiers seem to be far and few between. No luck finding a similar thread with the search (please correct me if there is one) so I thought we could have our little corner of OB too.

Frontier and Navara owners unite? I guess the X's can hang out as well

20232206_1811605705520177_6896763396615797077_o.jpg

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I suppose I can at least start off with what I have..

2013 SV 4x4 CC Shortbed, 265 75r16 Duratracs

Mods so far;
-SPC UCAs
-OME HD suspension w/ Nisstec 1" spacer in the front
-Full Shrockworks skids
-ARE Shell w/ home fabbed roof rack
-22" lightbar in the bumper (not a real mod, but close enough)
-Light pods in rear bumper, hooked to reverse
-WAM hidden wincher & winch
-P&P Sliders
-Rear diff breather
-Hood struts
-XTP IMS
-eBay Special Snorkel

Much to come;
-Lokka front locker
-ARB rear locker for C200 axle
-Awning, more lights??? Who knows, it's only money!IMG_20190622_134052573.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I drove a 2017 Frontier crewcab/shortbed last year, and I really liked the way it drove. I didn't care much for the interior, but man that 4.0 has some guts.

Felt MUCH better than the new Taco 3.5/6a I drove later in the year. That thing was gutless. And interestingly enough, as ancient as the Frontier is, it still had rear DISK brakes, compared to the DRUMS on the Tacoma.

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

I had also thought starting a similar thread for the Nissan ..... time to represent!

2014 Frontier Pro4x .... I had a 2004 Titan prior that I drove for 10 yrs and 120,000 relatively trouble free miles. After 10 yrs I figured it was time for a change and came home with a Frontier. (my only real complaint with the Titan as the MPG)

2" lift front and rear with Bilstein 5100's and OME Medium Leaf Pack. Ride -Rite Airbags in the rear to compensate for heavier loads.

Currently running Hankook Dyna Pro's in the stock 265/75/16 size ... looking at the BF Goodrich KM3 next ... may be in a 285. Hefty Sliders are on order and have a Shrockworks Skid protecting the tender bits. I don't really "wheel" ... this is more of an adventure rig getting me to destinations for camping, Mountain Biking, Moto, RZR, etc, etc. I want the truck to be trail capable for when curiosity points me down any random direction.

I don't suspect I'll be tackling any more water than this, but I have completed the breather relocation for the rear diff and EVAP canister.

For improved storage I have added in a Decked Drawer System .... and installed a Leer Cap to help keep gear clean, dry, and secure. The Frontier tailgates are difficult to seal, but overall I can keep out the majority of the dust. The bed does have open channeling to the outside, which pumped dust in pretty bad. A can of expanding foam insulation resolved this.

My recovery plan is pretty basic ... don't get stuck, but we all know stuff happens, so I have a full inventory of recovery straps, shackles, chains, etc in the Decked Drawer System .... Max Trax on custom brackets in the bed, and a Hi-Lift.

Interior is stock and I have no plans to change anything. My only real complaint in the interior is leg room. I'm 6'3" and on long drives I start to get a bit restless after a few hundred miles. The Pro4 does have fully adjustable seats, but the drivers seat I felt did not offer enough tilt or lift with my height, so I shimmed up the front of the drivers seat to get the seat to better support my legs, and I think it did help.

Overall I'm really happy with the Frontier ... I have owned Toyota's in the past and I think the Frontier is on par with quality and longevity. Where the frontier lacks is in the aftermarket.

One addition that I'm seriously considering in the future is a GFC Camper .... I think these are cool!

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I had also thought starting a similar thread for the Nissan ..... time to represent!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one with the idea! I really like your truck man, and you take great pics too. Glad you decided to join us here since there doesn't seem to be much love around.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

2014 Frontier Pro4x .... I had a 2004 Titan prior that I drove for 10 yrs and 120,000 relatively trouble free miles. After 10 yrs I figured it was time for a change and came home with a Frontier. (my only real complaint with the Titan as the MPG)

2" lift front and rear with Bilstein 5100's and OME Medium Leaf Pack. Ride -Rite Airbags in the rear to compensate for heavier loads.

Currently running Hankook Dyna Pro's in the stock 265/75/16 size ... looking at the BF Goodrich KM3 next ... may be in a 285. Hefty Sliders are on order and have a Shrockworks Skid protecting the tender bits. I don't really "wheel" ... this is more of an adventure rig getting me to destinations for camping, Mountain Biking, Moto, RZR, etc, etc. I want the truck to be trail capable for when curiosity points me down any random direction.

I don't suspect I'll be tackling any more water than this, but I have completed the breather relocation for the rear diff and EVAP canister.

For improved storage I have added in a Decked Drawer System .... and installed a Leer Cap to help keep gear clean, dry, and secure. The Frontier tailgates are difficult to seal, but overall I can keep out the majority of the dust. The bed does have open channeling to the outside, which pumped dust in pretty bad. A can of expanding foam insulation resolved this.

My recovery plan is pretty basic ... don't get stuck, but we all know stuff happens, so I have a full inventory of recovery straps, shackles, chains, etc in the Decked Drawer System .... Max Trax on custom brackets in the bed, and a Hi-Lift.

Interior is stock and I have no plans to change anything. My only real complaint in the interior is leg room. I'm 6'3" and on long drives I start to get a bit restless after a few hundred miles. The Pro4 does have fully adjustable seats, but the drivers seat I felt did not offer enough tilt or lift with my height, so I shimmed up the front of the drivers seat to get the seat to better support my legs, and I think it did help.

Overall I'm really happy with the Frontier ... I have owned Toyota's in the past and I think the Frontier is on par with quality and longevity. Where the frontier lacks is in the aftermarket.

One addition that I'm seriously considering in the future is a GFC Camper .... I think these are cool!
Great looking truck! I REALLY like the Frontiers. I kinda wish I had gotten one instead of the Xterra but the shorter wheel base of the X works better for what I use my X for. I don't think I'll ever be done with rock crawling so I have to balance wheel base and ground clearance very carefully so I don't wind up with a sled...

Reactions: Munga Brown

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

Great looking truck! I REALLY like the Frontiers. I kinda wish I had gotten one instead of the Xterra but the shorter wheel base of the X works better for what I use my X for. I don't think I'll ever be done with rock crawling so I have to balance wheel base and ground clearance very carefully so I don't wind up with a sled...
Thx ... being a prior Xterra owner myself before my Titan ... we had actually gone to the dealer to look at Xterra's, but in the end having the bed again won over. Still a fan of the Xterra and wish Nissan would plan an equivelent replacement.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thx ... being a prior Xterra owner myself before my Titan ... we had actually gone to the dealer to look at Xterra's, but in the end having the bed again won over. Still a fan of the Xterra and wish Nissan would plan an equivelent replacement.
They keep touting the Terra over-seas, but I can't find definitive info on them anywhere. Just lots of hear-say and rumors.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I want to lift the Pathfinder R51, anyone have any recommendations?​
How much lift are you looking for? My personal recommendation is Old Man Emu. They make a kit for 05-12 Pathfinders ~$850 OTD. I have OME coilovers in the front and their great. Once I get the chance I'll be getting the rear done too

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

So glad to see some other frontiers!! I have a 2016 sv that I am slowly kitting out, I'll post pics as soon as I can. current mods consist of:
Rear diff breather
Shrock front diff skid
265/75-16 cooper st maxx
Leer topper with rhino rack load bars

I am currently trying to figure out a lift. I am wanting around 2in front and rear. I have had my eye on the OME MD, but I just can't stop wondering if for that amount of money Am I going to regret that the front only lifts 1.5in? Can anyone with this lift post some side shots for me to see? I am also curious for you guys that are running the 5100's at 2in of lift, what do you think? How is the ride compare to stock? This is my daily driver/weekend warrior so I really want to keep as comfortable of a ride as possible. Also the plan after the lift is to move up to a 255/85-16 tire. Man this hobby is expensive. Ha.

Reactions: bawesomfels