Food & Water

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

How are you storing/protecting your sources of sustainment are you a YETI person?

Or a custom dual battery mod with solar charging options and an ARB fridge/freezer?

Any luck with igloo's new STX line perhaps..?

How about the pelican ice chests?

YETI knock off types?

Or like me... Ramen noodles, a trangia stove, granola bars, beef jerky and random water containers.... to include the big ozarka bottles for coolers at work.... like 5 gallons each or so? Idk [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We use the extra-thick walled Omaha Steak foam coolers. We have a couple from several years ago that seem to be more dense and thicker than what I've seen used recently. We found them to be better than any purchased cooler we'd used.

For water, we have four 3.5 gallon stackable WaterBricks.

We have a 12V water pump stored in one of the empty WaterBricks to use for washing.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

We have a Coleman cooler. It's big suckers got wheels on it lol. We freeze a few gallows of water and several large bottles of water. Keeps everything cold for 4 days .

I'd like to up my game to a better cooler or fridge

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

We use the extra-thick walled Omaha Steak foam coolers. We have a couple from several years ago that seem to be more dense and thicker than what I've seen used recently. We found them to be better than any purchased cooler we'd used.

For water, we have four 3.5 gallon stackable WaterBricks.

We have a 12V water pump stored in one of the empty WaterBricks to use for washing.
I LIKE THOSE WATER BRICKS! ... my thefted ozarka bottles dont stack so hot....

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

We have a Coleman cooler. It's big suckers got wheels on it lol. We freeze a few gallows of water and several large bottles of water. Keeps everything cold for 4 days .

I'd like to up my game to a better cooler or fridge
Ive heard that solid ice helps alot

Owencavlys

Rank IV
Investor

Advocate I

Centennial, Clorado
Member #

"Steve, post: 13152, member: 6"
--

Someone brought one of these coolers to our house for a 4th of July party and left it behind. Suckers.

I'm still deciding on my own system as well. An ARB fridge would be awesome of course, but I don't think we'll need it in all practicality for the type of trips we'll be doing.

What does everyone use for water filtration? I'm considering this little system. Reviews are really good. It seems fast and easy:
http://www.rei.com/product/866422/platypus-gravityworks-water-filter-system-4-liter

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I just use a cheep Igloo cooler haha... $15 Walmart special. Most of my trips so far have been pretty local and short due to kids/wife.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Used to use a Coleman Extreme cooler which works great but have since switched to dual battery system and a Dometic fridge. While the extreme was a great cooler I love not having to deal with ice and worrying about things getting soaked in the cooler as it melts on a week long trip. Have not done solar panels...yet.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I can not get on board with paying a couple hundred dollars for a cooler... So what I do is I use just a regular Igloo walmart cooler and then another small one. I fill the big cooler up with ice and food and buy dry ice and regular ice and put them in other cooler. The dry ice keeps the regular ice from melting as fast so you can make the it last. It's much cheaper than an ARB fridge (although I want one) or a Yeti. The only problem is that it takes up more space, but that's why I have a truck.

Reactions: IronPercheron

BlackDogTundra

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

image.jpeg For water I use (2) 5 Gallon LCI military water cans. Super durable. For water purification, I use the Lifestraw Mission 5L water purifier. It's pretty cool because when you find water, you fill up the bag. Then when you get to your camp for the night, you can have it drain into your water cans while you drink beer. You don't have to pump or do anything.

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

For water storage I use a 7 gallon Reliance Jumbo-Tainer that I picked up at REI. I've only used it on one trip so far, but it worked.

For dry storage I use the Plano 1919 Sportsman Trunk that I picked up from Dick's Sporting Goods. I bought two of them, but have only used one so far. They are pretty solid at keeping water out as well. One will be for gear and the other for dry goods/food.

I currently just use cheaper Igloo ice chests. Will be investing in something like a Canyon Coolers or Yeti knockoff in the future. I'll eventually invest in a fridge/freezer for my ambulance, but so far a cooler does the trick.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In the cruiser we have an Engle MD 14 that we use as a dedicated freezer. It is powered with a dual agm battery system. In the trailer we have two Frontrunner 10.6 gallon, (2.6" x 21" x 50") tanks plumbed together for running tap water on our rear kitchen deck. Up front of the trailer we have a permanently mounted Yeti tundra 75, with a cocked drain line to the exterior of the trailer. Basically we are set up for 5 to 6 days in the back country before having to find a town for more gasoline and supplies. Some might accuse us of being glampers, but I would beg to differ. We just like being comfortable during our multiple week long journeys. Ha !!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Nothing wrong with that. I'll take my wife's IndelB fridge out of her car for longer trips. Set that up in the back seat for drinks and snacks accessible while driving. Then the Engle is just food for meals. If we are wheeling hard its the RTT, otherwise I pull a Starcraft 10R/T with most of the comforts of home. With a 3rd fridge for whatever. 10 gallon water tank etc....

Sometimes its about only having what you need to survive, other times its about having everything you need to relax.