• HTML tutorial

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
A few weeks ago I learned a cool (pun intended) trick from my friend. If you've ever put ice in your cooler I'm sure you've wound up with everything sitting in a pool of water after a couple days. I've tried lots of things.... Putting ice into gallon zip lock bags, using ice packs instead... Still always end up with soggy food or food that's not really cold anymore.
Solution: take a piece of galvanized or stainless steel flashing (20ga or so), bend it to build a little shelf a couple inches off the bottom of the cooler, cut one if two notches in the side so you can easily pull it out. Bam. Ice goes underneath. Food stays cool and dry. The best "why" explanation I can give is that The metal shelf conducts the Cold into whatever is resting on it, and insulates the ice from the hot air you let in every time you open the cooler. Or maybe not. But it the result is cool dry food. WIN.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Dry ice works well too as it off gases rather than converts to water. But I'm still sticking with the fridge ;)

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Been running with an ARB for 3 years and haven't looked back. Somethings I tried with a traditional cooler have been:

Block ice (frozen 1 gallon jugs) is a really good option. You have usable ice water for a few extra days which is very nice out in the desert. However it takes up a lot of room in the home freezer or a couple of days. Be sure to dump a little water out and leave the cap off for expansion when it freezes.

Plastic ice packs. This stuff is re-usable, and stays frozen a little longer than ice. Over time they can split open and leak the blue chemical stuff so be careful to check them before packing.

Dry ice works, just be sure to wrap it well enough so it doesn't freeze your food too much. Pizza that takes over half the day to melt isn't very good.

Pre cool your cooler. This is kinda wasteful, but it can help get you better performance. A day or so before the trip, fill the cooler with ice and cold water and let it sit. Empty before filling with food. Adding salt will lower the freezing point of the water and get you a couple extra degrees colder.

Freeze food you'll eat later in the trip. It will thaw over a few days, and in the mean time keep other stuff cold. This works well with meat, especially when it's raw. However, I try to avoid taking raw meat on trips (even with the ARB) because of cleanup and in case of spills in the fridge.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
In our 80 we do an ARB 50qt for all our perishables and drinks on my homemade slide.image.jpeg

For dry goods we started off with 1 giant Plano 1919 but found it way too big and heavy to move around in and out of the back end. The solution was to break up the dry food into 3 smaller containers. Found these ones at the Container Store. http://www.containerstore.com/s/garage/storage-bags-boxes/clear-weathertight-totes/12d?productId=10026213
The exact same dimensions and function as Wolfpacks but are water resistant, scent proof and way cheaper. Maybe a little less sturdy though (but we're not throwing around our food boxes).

Water wise we have a Coleman tabletop 5gal jug, a fold up 5 gal reserve jug for grey water, and 2 Scepter MWCs. One with a Fynspray pump that stays at the back where most of the cooking happens. image.jpeg

All of this allows the 3 of us 7 days without replenishing.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

For refrigeration I use a TF-51 found at Truckfridge.com. For the price it is great. I have had it going on 2 years and have not had a problem. I do run a dual battery to keep the fridge going and not have to worry about startup in the morning. This past weekend I added a solar panel to the roof as additional protection. I like to travel alone a lot of the time and nothing worries me more than not being able to start my truck.

For dryfood I keep all of it in an action packer. This keeps out all of the critters that may feel enticed to eat my food.

For water, just the 6 gallon blue water jug from Walmart does the trick. I am building a small camping trailer to hold my RTT. I will have a 20 gallon electric water pump for this.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

We got a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and it's a game changer as well. We've packed food in to freeze it and then it packs nicely into the fridge. We've decided this time to just use the ARB and not an additional cooler since we're only going for a few days. When we go for over a week we will likely bring the other cooler and use it as the "fridge" and the ARB as the "freezer". So I will be letting all this thaw and have the ARB set a few degrees above freezing.
IMG_20160704_160004.jpg
IMG_20160704_160022.jpg

Our Excalibur dehydrator got a good workout recently too and we have dehydrated some pasta sauce and mixed vegetables.

We recently found a great dehydrated shredded potato at Costco.... we originally bought the 8-pack case for camping but we liked them so much that I had to go back and buy another couple 8-packs. You add boiling water to the fold line and close it up for 12 minutes or so... then toss it into a frying pan. Fantastic!
IMG_20160703_171816.jpg

My wife also packs things like the pack of hot dogs into a ziploc bag so we don't have to hunt around for a ziploc once we open that pack of hot dogs and then have to store the dogs that don't get cooked immediately.

IMG_20160704_160125.jpg

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

We got a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and it's a game changer as well.
I also bought a Foodsaver. I found that no matter what you did with ziplock bags they always leak! I have seen that Foodsaver also has a handheld ziplock bag sealer for their ziplock bags. I may pick one up to give it a try. I do know that Foodsaver does make a 12v DC sealer also.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I think I'll be picking up an ARB. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm finding that the people that review them have had them for many years without issue and through a lot of hard off roading.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I think I'll be picking up an ARB. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I'm finding that the people that review them have had them for many years without issue and through a lot of hard off roading.
X2 on the ARB. Had mine for years, working all the time whether in the garage or the truck. Very handy for a week or more out.

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I also bought a Foodsaver. I found that no matter what you did with ziplock bags they always leak! I have seen that Foodsaver also has a handheld ziplock bag sealer for their ziplock bags. I may pick one up to give it a try. I do know that Foodsaver does make a 12v DC sealer also.
I've seen some unfavourable reviews on the handheld bag sealer, quite a number don't seem to seal... just an FYI...

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I just got my life straw sports bottle....

Dude

It was expensive and Tom foolery but I had to know... and it came with an extra filter... so... I got me some Bayou water.

Works good!

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I read about a million different opinions on the subject (well, maybe not a million, but it felt like it), and time and time again people suggested that one of the best investments a person could make was a true fridge. Living up here in Canuckland, things tend to be much more expensive. Based on some reviews, and my budget, I purchased a Dometic 50 quart fridge (the previous years model, still with the Danfoss compressor). I will add my name to the list of millions (ha) that suggest buying a fridge is likely one of the single best investments one can make. No more thought to melted ice, soggy and spoiled food, warm beer, etc, etc, etc. The thing is simply awesome. Keeps all our foodstuff at the perfect temperature, including being able to pull a frosty beer at the end of a days adventure. We used it daily on our 2 week road trip throughout the north west states, and have used it on multiple weekend trips and day picnics. I'd buy another in a hearbeat if it got up and walked away. The only upgrade I made was to run a heavy gauge wire from my aux. battery directly to the rear to power it, and replace the stock 12V connector with a Blue Sea locking unit (to prevent it from becoming unplugged while offroading)

I also use a Foodsaver all the time. We will precook food (ie: pulled pork, chicken for fajitas) then simply freeze it in single dinner quantities. A quick boil inside the Foodsaver bag and voila, good eats.....and no cleanup.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have been very happy with my Dometic 50 quart. Did a lot of research before buying and what put me over the edge was reading a shootout done of the top 12 fridges in Australia. The Waeco 50 quart which is the Dometic 50 quart here came in number two behind the ARB. For about 50% more than the Dometic I don't see the ARB as being worth the money. Mine actually recently came in handy when I got a bunch of steaks and BBQ for fathers day and didn't have room in the freezer for it. Brought the Dometic in to store some of it on 110 power which was nice.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
An Indel fridge is in our future but for now we run a Coleman 70qt 5-day cooler for our perishables. We have two Sterilite bins that fit perfectly inside and stack on top of each other. They have holes in the sides and then I drilled holes in the bottoms to help circulate air. We use 12 small water bottles that get frozen, plus two half-gallon salt water bottles. The small bottles get split between the two bins, laid across the bottoms. Food stacks on top of those. Then the salt water bottles sit in the cooler along the end of the bins with whatever vacuum packed meats we take. We also have an el cheapo Igloo 38qt for liquids - beer, bottled water, vodka, rum, milk, etc. That one just gets plain ole cubed ice.

One trick I've read up on and want to try out is lining the inside of the coolers with Reflectix. It seems to work well for people and is said to extend your ice for a few extra days.

For bulk water we have two of the Ozark Trail six-gallon water cans, one for fresh water and one for grey water (that one is labeled with black Gorilla tape around the handle).

NavigateOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sint Pancras
Member #

Been camping for 3 weeks with an ARB 60 ltr. and it was the best. Even when outside temp. is above 40 degrees it will keep the beers and food nicely chilled....